Dumb Computer Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
This is very embarrassing. I am computer challenged....

I have a text document on a disk and I would like to know how to upload it to my computer. Must be a different procedure than Windows 98 because this is not working for me. I have XP now and I am very lost.

I want it to jump into a folder (that I have not made yet)

Thank you very much

ok Marty don't get mad, i am going to assume you are like my mother (who calls her computer the one-eyed monster!) and be very basic... at the top left of your screen, click on file... it should give you a list of options, click on "save as" - then tell it where to save it and what to name it.

OR you can highlight your document, hit "ctrl c" to copy it, then open a blank document in word, hit "ctrl v" to paste the document, then save it under a new name.

sorry i'm not technical at all, so it's hard to describe exactly... if this doesn't work for you, you can call me tomorrow 8-5 AZ time and i will walk you through it, with my computer in front of me i can tell you exactly where to look and what for... my cell is (602) 290-2553

Well that didn't work out very well so ok, let's re-cap

1. Disk in question is sitting in my computer thingy drawer

2. Disk needs to transfer it's information to my XP known as "LaTush" so I don't have to keep putting the disk in the drive every time I want to refer to it

3. You don't want me to call you......You'll never get rid of me........

well not NOW Marty, cause it's almost bedtime... but seriously, you CAN tomorrow if you want. i do better walking through as we go than trying to explain out of my head. i'm SO used to it with my mom, she is always calling to ask me why something happened, like i can see through the phone to her computer LOL.

I'm going to try to help you Marty, my dear.
default_smile.png

1. Pop said disk into disk drive.

2. Open the document that you want to save to your hard drive.

3. Go up to the top of the page where it says File

4. Like Painted Promise said, hit "save as"

5. Make sure that you choose My documents as the destination to save to.

6. If above 5 steps do not work....Kick Maurice and tell him to quit being SOOO difficult!!!

Really, this should work. If not, let me know and I'll regroup to figure out what I told you that was wrong. I could also e-mail you my number, but this is what I would try if I were trying to do what you're trying to do. Let me know if you need the number.
default_yes.gif
:

Jodi

oh gee whiz.......it's hard being me

OK Maurice is in Dan's room and Maurice is in the closet. I have LaTush here who is XP and a real hop in the rear

Ok you said to open the disk up first so I did

I am opening the disk in Word Pad.......is that ok? Apparently not. Where should I attempt to open this disk?

Then when I go to FILE, another box drops down with the disk file I want to open .

And it will not SAVE AS nuthin cause the drop down box is now in the way.

6 hours I'm at this and counting.....poor Tracey wants me to go to bed already, she's under my feet here and keeps pulling my sleeper pants like "hurry up already maw........"

Day 2

I can't believe I am still at this...........

I fell asleep last night........sorry!

How in the world can it be so hard???

Leave it to me and I make everything complicated............

Ok, its a CDR, not a floppy

It is a book on it with some 25 chapters on it

It was written originally in word pad if that makes any difference

It opens from the disk just fine

BUT

All I want to do is to load it into my computer so I don't have to keep popping the disk in and out and why this is giving me fits is beyond me.....
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
:

Ok I'll see if I can help. I have done this when I transfer pictures back and forth.

1. Decide where you want to keep said file. My Documents would probably be the easiest.

2. Open My Documents and click on file.

3. Go to new then to folder. Give new folder a name. Leave My Documents open.

4. Put in disc and open My Computer. Right click on drive that has the disc in in and hit copy.

5. Go back to My Documents and the new folder you made.

6. Right click on folder and hit paste.

The info on the disc should now be in the new folder you made and no need to load it from the disc.

Hope that works for you. Best way I know how to do it.

Good luck.

Thank you guys for all your help. This was so stupid.........I followed every one's instructions to the letter I promise you that and for the life of me I had the hardest time with this. I really didn't want to have to call you guys!!!!

Finally, I was able to load this stupid disk into my documents by 11:00 PM on Friday.

Problem is that under the stress of it all and much sleep deprivation, I have no idea what I did to get it there, but I know it required the use of my potty mouth. I think I scared LaTush into submission......... :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

It's hard being me.

I really need some sleep now. So does poor Tracey! She's been up for 48 hours worrying about this with me under my feet.

Latest posts

Back