Drumming up Support

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
I was wondering how members- Journal staff would feel about [SIZE=12pt]paid[/SIZE] advertising to drum up support for a proposal. Do you think it would be okay or proper if the original proposal was written say 8 months in advance for all to ponder and think about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if anyone cares, but my proposal if I knew how to write it, would be to change how we elect the president. I don't know when it changed, but I don't think that it has always been the way it is now. I feel that the president should be elected at the convention by the members in attendance and not by the other directors. That way, the ones that want the position would at least have to address publicly and state their opinions about some of our concerns or we wouldn't vote for them. The way it is now, all the backscratching goes to other directors. I also think that maybe the president should have longer term limits. One year isn't really long enough to get much accomplished.

I am not trying to say anything bad about any of our directors, but rather the system that is just set up kind of like the Knights Of The Templar, (or some secret organization), where you have to watch what you say or do. Renee LaBarre Reiten - Lucky Hart Ranch

I sure agree with you Lavern but I think what you are talking about is a bylaw change which is different from a rule proposal (or at least I think it is) I think it falls under this:

Article X – Amendments

These Articles may be amended by the Association at an

annual meeting of the members and a two-thirds (2/3) vote of

same. Written notice must be given not later than thirty (30)

days prior to the meeting when said changes are contemplated

and said contemplated changes must be sent to the members

with the said notice.

An appropriate form of ballot shall accompany the notice

of the meeting, and the copy of the proposed amendment, if

they are mailed, and shall be printed in conjunction with said

notice and copy of amendment if printed in the magazine. Any

member may vote by marking the same ”yes” or ”no”, signing

his name, and mailing the same to the Secretary. Such votes by

mail shall be referred to a committee of three at the meeting,

which shall make its report and cast the votes accordingly.

I think many people would appreciate that option

I sure agree with you Lavern
Got another yes here
default_yes.gif

LAD

Wow- that sounds pretty tough. I don't even know if we could afford it. I am not sure how many members there are, but if we have say 10,000 members it would cost us about 5,000.00 just to mail everybody a notice. Or maybe the one that is proposing to change the bylaw has to pay for the cost of mailing the notices. I know that I could not swing that. And then the three people could throw it out anyway.

We run app. 6100 members average is what I learned recently. And first, we would have to change that clause - instead of a committee of three - it should be amended to read - voting to be verified by a registered CPA office ( or something similar), takes it out of the hands of slight and puts it into an independent, certified accounting.

And also it should be changed to include an option for internet voting, which is not as expensive as as a mailing.

Well expense should not be to bad we will all know be voting for directors thru mail in ballot only no area meetings for the vote

I Have talked to a few people and I guess a lot of presidents of companies are voted in the way we do it now. When you think about it, the way we vote for the president of our country is sort of voted that way, through the electoral college. And to change a by law seems like a big deal.

I have a crazy idea that might work and it seems kind of simple and would not cost anything.

Okay- when we get to convention they always take time to count us off, to see how many are from each area. Maybe at that time we could break into area groups and have a hour to visit in person with our area directors and ask them questions and give our opinions and LISTEN TO THEM (no being mean or fighting allowed ). We could ask them who was running for president and who they were going to vote for and why they think that person would be the best one. They would not have to vote as we felt they should, but maybe we could find out how they voted later.

I feel that I should add, and I don't know why, but just for the record, If I had a chance to vote I would vote for our current president for the rest of my life, but that is not the point.

We are a big outfit now and some of us old people with old hangups, like my self, have to think what we are going to leave for the younger, smarter, new people that are ready to step in. It is hard to let go. I still don't think my own kids do things right with my horses, and in all truth they do things so much better.

We have to open things up, let go of some of the old ways and come up some long term goals. We always say that the youth is our future, well I think that we have raised them up real good and some of our youth (young adults) are ready to take control of their own future.

Sure we have made mistakes and they probably will too, but we learn from those mistakes.

I think your idea about an area meeting is really good. Make sure to get hold of Larry Parnell - my understanding is that he will be helping to plan the convention next year. Let see if we cant make it a good one for everyone.

Latest posts

Back