Drug Money & Horse Racing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EIPH (bleeding of the lungs) is common in most race horses, the blood just isn't always noticeable. However, this condition is also found in horses used in high performance barrel racing, roping, and cutting - anything that involves strenuous sprint exercises. But they have a drug called Lasix that can help or eliminate the problem.

I'm currently on a road trip and it's not convenient to post research links However, I'd like to point out that I don't need to be a jockey or own a track to have an opinion about the industry. What a small amount of mind it would take to hold only first hand experiences.

Jill - you are entitled to any opinion you please - but when you present things as facts that are not - you can expect to get a reaction. I do know what I am talking about...

What a small amount of mind it would take to hold only first hand experiences.
It would take a very small mind to assume that blanket generalizations and what you have "heard" (you own words) mean more that the experiences and knowledge of others who are or have been actually involved in and followed the industry for years. And are not wearing blinders.

No one has said that racing does not have issues that need to be addressed. What you are saying is that everything is corrupt and evil and so on and so forth - and that is simply not true.

You did not refer to facts about Lasix or bleeders - you just pointed fingers and use sensationalist generalized statements as "proof". Like a recent NPR editorial about racing by a guy who used many of the same ridiculous generalizations (everyone hates the horses!!) and many skewed "facts" that were not true - and showed that he did not really have a clue what he was protesting about. He even made the inane argument that it was some kind of a big conspiracy that IHA was scratched - as it would not be good for racing to have aTC Champion - and right there you could tell that the guy did not have a freaking clue. The best thing for racing would be to have a TC Champion... but that idiot "knew better". Of course he did.

He probably has never laid a hand on a horse and wouldn't know a fetlock from a forelock.

Tag, if I ask nice, would you stop expecting me to discuss my every non mini related post I growing detail with you? It's been years of it from you and I'm real tired of it. Try a search of my name on the back porch and see what I mean. You're always looking for more from me no matter how plainly or clearly something was expressed.

Thanks...

Tag, if I ask nice, would you stop expecting me to discuss my every non mini related post I growing detail with you? It's been years of it from you and I'm real tired of it. Try a search of my name on the back porch and see what I mean. You're always looking for more from me no matter how plainly or clearly something was expressed.

Thanks...
After all, Tagalong, you're not an American citizen!

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but this issue is not nearly as black or white as both sides here have suggested. There is truth in everyone's posts.

There are owners/trainers/riders who love their racehorses. There are owners/trainers/riders who see them as nothing but a meal ticket. We need to recognize both the good and the bad, especially if we hope to eradicate the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
So which is it? Are experiance or facts/numbers more important? Maybe, both are equally as important and attacking eachothers opinions on the bases of how they are formed is just a way to avoid the information being shared. It would be wonderful if everyone could see the value in what eachother brings to the table in these "debates" and actually considered changing their own opinions because of that information. If the goal isn't to learn from eachothers different experiances AND research then why bother voicing them at all? We all have such an opportunity on this forum to discuss things and "grow", but it is completely wasted if we all feel so strongly the need to defend our opinions that we refuse to alter them.
default_no.gif

Jill, with all due respect - everything is not about you. Especially not "years and years" of it. No matter what I say, it seems to be wrong.

Let's stick to facts instead of hyperbole. I respond to topics that I find interesting or that concern me. We both like political discussions/topics. Thus it is no surprise we meet up in those types of threads. I have also posted with you in mini-related threads - are you going to call me out on that as well? If you do not want people to address your comments or have a discussion about them, then why on earth would you start up such a discussion?

No matter who started a topic that suggested that all racing was corrupt and evil and about money laundering and nothing else... and made the exact some comments that you did in your OP, I would have responded to it with passion in the exact same way. It has nothing to do with who the author is - I try to respond to the comments, not the person behind them. Unlike what you seem to be doing to me - and even suggesting between the lines that I shut up?

I do not see you over on the Thoroughbred racing forums engaging in intense discussions about racing practices, eviscerating or evaluating trainers and how some tracks are the end of the line... or evaluating the failure of NYRA to do their job.. or discussing milkshaking... or tracking down tattoo numbers to ID horses... how different footing relates to breakdowns - or anything else of the sort. I have discussions there - and when I see it come up here, I am also going to take part.

No, I am not harrassing you. No, I am not targetting you. Yes, I want to take part in specific topics. You want to make it personal - I don't. I want to discuss the topic and share opinions, thoughts and concerns. My question about yearlings being "forced to run until their lungs bled" was a genuine one. Where did that happen and when? The posters on the racing forums would track it down and find out what was going on and who was involved.

Thanks, Susanne, for that valuable and well meaning insight.
Well, to be fair - in a recent thread you posted something along the lines of "who are you voting for in the 2012 election, tag?" to me - out of the blue - which had nothing to do with the topic at hand and was just a smug little off topic jab. So that was were Suzanne's comments came from.

Now let's steer this thread back to the topic in the hopes that it does not get deleted. We can discuss racing issues based on facts as opposed to generalizations and myths. If the racing forums can discuss all angles of the racing industry... all the research, the good and bad, the ups and downs, objectively and calmly based on facts and learn from the opinions and offerings of others... then surely we can do that here as well. My opinions and thoughts are always morphing as I learn different aspects of things... they are never set in stone. There is always wiggle room.

We all have such an opportunity on this forum to discuss things and "grow", but it is completely wasted if we all feel so strongly the need to defend our opinions that we refuse to alter them.
Well said.

Whatever, Tag... Keep typing "Jill", which I guess you so frequently type in reference to another Jill and it must be her opinion you continually like to hash and rehash, thread after thread, year after year, on almost anything EXCEPT miniature horse issues. I'm going to discontinue noticing how much attention you pay to my opinions.

Oh for heaven's sake - I use your name out of politeness to show that I am referring to what you said - and not by way of an insult or harrassment or whatever else you want to read into it. I do not single you out - as much as you seem to want to believe that. You

I pay attention to EVERYONE's opinions whether I agree with them or not... as that is part of any proper discussion. I have never been completely dismissive of anything anyone says. You have gone out of your way in the past to single out things I have said and point out how inconsequential they are... but I let it roll off, for the most part.

Did you even bother to read anything I said? Or did you just summarily dismiss it...

So much for a balanced, interesting discussion on the issues. If this thread still exists tonight, I would like to discuss some of the info in the links Ozy provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back