Driving....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy Me

Reaction score
I want to start teaching Fancy how to drive. I know nothing. Any idea for me on how to get started? What kinda cart do you think I should get for around town, how long will it take, etc. I just want to find out all I can before I cross the uncharted waters called driving. Once Fancy get started and if she accepts the fact of pulling me around, I think we would have a lot of fun. So if you know anything at all please type away! Thanks so much!!! -Lulu
default_wub.png
:

P.S

I have been surfing the Internet for anything also, so if you know any websites that would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks! :bgrin

Driving isn't something you just get in and do. I got my training on the race track in a training class. I have a couple of questions. Do you know anyone else that drives their minis? What has your horse been trained to do? how old is your mini? You should not drive a horse until it is 3. You can start them ground driving at 2. As far as what you would need... A nylon harness takes less to care for. You can just dip them in a bucket of soapy water and swish, swish and rinse it's done. Also, a nice metal easy entry cart would do nicely. I like the metal ones because I think they are harder to break. Total should run around $600-$800 depending on the quality you want. Do you know how to ride? This would help you in ground driving. Let me know where you are at and it would be easier to say what you need to learn to teach your horse. :bgrin

First step: Find a local trainer near you who drives, any breed discipline is fine.

Driving can be very dangerous, from hooking to proper etiquitte to fitting harness so you don't hurt your horse.

Most people take riding lessons when they first get into riding, same thing should absolutely be with driving.

Andrea

I am very glad to hear that you would like to get into driving! It is a lot of fun and I am sure you will enjoy it BUT, as has been suggested, professional help is a MUST. You need to learn how to drive as much as your horse does and it certainly is not something for an absolute beginner to tackle. It can be extremely dangerous and is not something to take lightly. The MHCO website at MHCO has some information on driving in the CLINICS column - its a good place to start. Search out a good trainer in your area, get references and ask them for help. Good luck and have fun!!!

Driving isn't something you just get in and do. I got my training on the race track in a training class. I have a couple of questions. Do you know anyone else that drives their minis? What has your horse been trained to do? how old is your mini? You should not drive a horse until it is 3. You can start them ground driving at 2. As far as what you would need... A nylon harness takes less to care for. You can just dip them in a bucket of soapy water and swish, swish and rinse it's done. Also, a nice metal easy entry cart would do nicely. I like the metal ones because I think they are harder to break. Total should run around $600-$800 depending on the quality you want. Do you know how to ride? This would help you in ground driving. Let me know where you are at and it would be easier to say what you need to learn to teach your horse. :bgrin
OKay, well i have been riding for 4 years, my friend drives two of her horse, or is training them...., and there is this driving trainer right down the street! Boy am I in luck! Fancy is 10. Thanks so much for all the info! I cant wait to get started!

First step: Find a local trainer near you who drives, any breed discipline is fine.

Driving can be very dangerous, from hooking to proper etiquitte to fitting harness so you don't hurt your horse.

Most people take riding lessons when they first get into riding, same thing should absolutely be with driving.

Andrea
Like i said before there is a trainer right up the street, or maybe down the street....
default_wacko.png
:

I am very glad to hear that you would like to get into driving! It is a lot of fun and I am sure you will enjoy it BUT, as has been suggested, professional help is a MUST. You need to learn how to drive as much as your horse does and it certainly is not something for an absolute beginner to tackle. It can be extremely dangerous and is not something to take lightly. The MHCO website at MHCO has some information on driving in the CLINICS column - its a good place to start. Search out a good trainer in your area, get references and ask them for help. Good luck and have fun!!!

I know i cant wait to get started! again......a trainer is RIGHT down the street. YAY! She trained a horse of an old friend of mine. He turned out great for a psycho horse. :new_shocked:

Thanks so much for all your guys help! I will have to do a lot more research before I get started! I will update soon and I might be asking some more help soon. THANKS SO MUCH!!! :bgrin -Lulu
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back