Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
What are your faveorite driving classes?What are the differences between classes,such as pleasure and roadster?What are CDE's?Is there a website with info about them,and shows near you?Are there driving classes at the Pinto shows?What are they judged on?Could a horse show in more than one class?What carts are used in each class,and what prices are they?In versatility,don't you have to show in a driving class?What other classes do you show in?Thanks!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your faveorite driving classes?What are the differences between classes,such as pleasure and roadster?What are CDE's?Is there a website with info about them,and shows near you?Are there driving classes at the Pinto shows?What are they judged on?Could a horse show in more than one class?What carts are used in each class,and what prices are they?In versatility,don't you have to show in a driving class?What other classes do you show in?Thanks!
default_yes.gif
:
Wow! That's a mouthfull. I'll try some of it. In AMHR & A for driving there is pleasure, country,roadster, and a new one (I forget in A or R) western pleasure. The differences are the way the horse carries his head and his knee action. The normal gaits are walk, trot, and extended trot - all of which are just a tiny bit different in each class. You can go to the websites; it's a pdf file for amha : http://www.amha.org/rulebook/Show-Rules.pdf and for amhr: http://www.shetlandminiature.com/downloads...E_BOOK_2005.pdf

I know nothing about CDEs except they use wooden wheels on their carts.

You'll have to check with local clubs or look on the amha, amhr websites for shows near you and contact them for their class lists.

Some Pinto shows have driving classes. It depends on whether your area has people that drive and request those classes. In Wisconsin we haven't had enough people ask for them but in Illinois I think they do.

AMHA/R you cannot "crossover" from pleasure to country pleasure in the same show but a pleasure horse might be able to also do roadster - depends on the horse (no rule against it).

Carts : again look at the rulebook. A two wheel cart for most amha/r classes and if you have a roadster to which a basket can be added, that cart would work for most amha/r classes. You could also use an easy entry cart in the pleasure/country pleasure (not roadster) at the local level but it's not considered proper for any "big" show. Prices: easy entry $450 to around $2000 for fancy Jerald.

Versatility is the same horse shown driving, halter, and jumping (not very high).

My favorite driivng class is obstacle where you have to drive over bridges or tarps; between and around poles or barrels; back thru or around patterns layed out with poles; and turn inside a square or with one wheel in a circle.

HAPPY DRIVING!

Pinto shows can offer a wide range of driving classes, depending on the sponsoring Club's interest. I believe our New England Pinto shows will be offering 4 driving classes this year: pleasure driving (like country pleasure), ideal pinto driving (driving, then judged on conformation and color), disciplined rail driving (do whatever they ask), and obstacle driving. Almost any cart can be used in these classes, and you can enter any or all of them. Pinto shows also can offer gymkhana driving classes, roadster. and combined driving. More info is at PtHA.

I see you are in Ohio, you should come to the Equine Affaire at the Ohio State Fairgrounds on April 12 - 15. Our club, the Mid America Miniature Horse club will have a booth, and there will be several farms with minis there. On one day, I am not sure when just yet, there will be a breed demo and we will have driving, halter, and jumping. Horses will be in show shape, and tack, so it would be a good place to have a close look.

(I accidentally deleted my first atttempt to reply; let's see if I can do it right this time...
default_wacko.png
: )---

for excellent information on CDEs for miniature horses, go to www.minihorsecde.com , or to Leia's well-compiled site, www.cde4vse.com. For VSEs(Very Small Equines, the ADS-deliniation of what are essentially both A and R sized miniatures), pneumatic wheels, such as those that are standard on Frontier EE carts, are allowed for the most basic level; you must use wooden or steel or aluminum wheels for the higher levels.)

In the newly-instituted (in AMHA; am not particularly familiar w/ AMHR rules, but I'm betting it's pretty similar)Versatility class, the entrant participates in Halter, Driving(either Single Pleasure OR Country Pleasure) and Hunter(which is very different from Jumper; jumps are limited in height-18-24"-and a calm, steady way of going are of high importance) without ever leaving the arena. One helper is allowed, at least for the Driving portion, to aid in unharnessing, etc., which must be done within a certain time limit. Full rules, such as they are, are included in the 2007 AMHA Rulebook, available on line or in booklet form-if you are an AMHA member, you can request that one be sent to you.

Margo

I see you are in Ohio, you should come to the Equine Affaire at the Ohio State Fairgrounds on April 12 - 15. Our club, the Mid America Miniature Horse club will have a booth, and there will be several farms with minis there. On one day, I am not sure when just yet, there will be a breed demo and we will have driving, halter, and jumping. Horses will be in show shape, and tack, so it would be a good place to have a close look.

I am going to Equine Affaire on saturday,with my 4-H group,and Im pretty sure we'll check out the different breeds,and I hope I can watch some of the mini demos.
default_smile.png

My fav. driving classes are the games and CDEs I have a need for speed, and so does my horse!
default_yes.gif
: Thank goodness for miniature thoroughbreds :bgrin

Do you know of any places that sell used carts and equipment?I know there's the Lb Auctions,but are there any more?What places do you like to get your tack,and show clothes from?

Are there games classes at shows,or are those at CDE's only?

How do you get an avatar thing like Katie Icetons?I tried to get one,and if you click on my user name,you can see it,but it doesn't show up when I post.How do I get it to show up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back