Driving?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crugeran celt

Reaction score
When I bought my first mini it was with the thought of driving with her. I have never driven and as she is now a two year old I was wondering where to start. She walks out in hand and is fantastic with all traffic, livestock and lots of noise. I have long reined her and she is very well behaved and moves off on voice commands. What should the next move be from here? She has never had to pull any weight and even when long reining she is doing so in a headcollar, I have never used a bit with her and possibly like to keep it that way if possible. may be very ignorant question but can you drive bitless? Sorry if I come across as really dim but as I said I have never driven and even though I have owned horses for over 40 years this is my first dabble with minis and driving.
default_yes.gif

I'm moving this topic to the driving forum so the great folks there can get you started
default_smile.png

There may be a difference between "can" and "should" made when considering driving bitless.

What are your reasons for not wanting to use a bit? Is her mouth horribly deformed?

Bits are not intrinsically bad things... But when driving you need to be safe because accidents are amplified when your horse is stuck to a large piece of equipment. Also, your communication is different because you don't have your legs and seat to work with. The length of the reins is a lot longer, too, which changes the mechanics of your communication aids, too.

I'd suggest finding an experienced driver (of any size horse) to work with as driving is very complicated and a bit dangerous.

Thankyou, I am not adverse to bits, I ride my Welsh D in one it's just that I have failed to find one small enough for the mini. There is a very good driving yard about 10 miles from me that I am able to learn to drive at but she has advised that I leave the filly until she is three at the youngest so really just wondered if I could do some work now to make the transition to driving easier for her and me.

At two you are best off getting her used to the bit and learning to accept you working behind her with the reins. The cart can come later. Get her used to stopping, standing, turning, and backing. Work her up and down hillsides slowly to build muscles.

Bits for minis can be bought on line. Look at some of the mini sites like Ozark Mtn. Or Star Lake.

Mini Express has nice bits for miniatures also. I like the french link with copper. The bits that sometimes come with miniature bridles are usually not very good, so plan to do some bit research.

There is a member that used to post who used a bitless bridle. It operates on a different principal, using pressure on the nose and muzzle.

I'm sure any of those tack companies will be happy to mail overseas, and a bit isn't heavy and bulky to mail.

Ground driving is probably the job for your horse for now.

She could probably learn to be hitched soon and you can teach her how to accept the shafts and have something to pull. Some horses think the cart is chasing them and it could be a good idea to work with that for now.

Sounds as though you have a sensible, responsive horse and will have lots of fun driving!

She really is a little star and is completely relaxed about everything, she is more like a dog than a horse to be honest. She walks in hand in traffic and is used to buses, lorries and farm traffic. It's because of her laid back nature that I thought she would be suitable for driving, She has no objection to children all around her making a fuss of her and she also accepts dogs running around her without any reaction. Everything I have done with her since she was 4 months old she has just accepted, she has never shied away from anything and anything new she will just stand and study and it's as if she thinks if it's ok for me then it's ok for her. As you can tell I adore her, never thought I would have such a bond with a horse.

She sounds like my mare was. Getting them when they are young is THE BEST. (IMO) My mare was the same way and still is. She accepted the bit training, the cart and was only temporarily confused by my walking behind her instead of beside her. She excels at obstacle and she will try to drive any discipline. By that I mean she doesn't object to an overcheck bit or a plain mullen mouth or snaffle. She will try her best to beat or keep up with any horse in the arena, even big ones!

If she trusts you as mine does me, you have found a true friend for life. It's great!

Latest posts

Back