Driving tack

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

What would be a realistic price to pay for all of the equipment I would need to drive a mini, including the easy access cart and harness and whatever else would be needed? What equipment would I need? Also, has anyone ever built their own cart and if so where do you get plans and how hard would it be to do it?

Thanks,

Linda

Having Tink pull a cart and him is something the hubby really wants to do.
default_smile.png

Between $600 and $700 for cart and harness would be the low end.

Building a cart takes experience. The balance is all important.

You would also need help training the horse to drive.

Between $600 and $700 for cart and harness would be the low end.
Building a cart takes experience. The balance is all important.

You would also need help training the horse to drive.

We found someone to train her and us. Thanks for your info.

If you educate yourself on safety and comfort of various harnesses and carts, and get the advice of someone knowledgeable, you can sometimes find used quality harness and cart at a reasonable price.

BEWARE cheap harness, especially those of imported leather sold on Ebay. The fit alone can make them worthless, and the last thing you need is to have a harness break while in use.

I've also seen and read about an easy entry cart sold on Ebay that is very cheap, but also very flimsy.

Buying new, if you are looking for basic pleasure driving on mostly level, even terrain, the Ozark Minitack pleasure harness is of good quality for $240. However, if you think you might want to do more serious driving in the future, you would do well to buy their Carriage Harness for $400.

As for an easy entry cart, I would look at either Frontier or CTM. Other carts cost just as much in the end, but are not of the same quality. Total cost depends upon shipping to your location.

Again, you can often find EE carts on craigslist and local horse publications, but have someone knowledgeable check it out. I saw one cart offered that cost just as much as a Frontier or CTM, but it had no singletree or even a bracket for one -- the seller told me that mini carts never have them, that they are unnecessary! I'd hate to see her horse's shoulders!

Either way, do your homework and ask for advice, and always err on the side of safety.

We'll train our mini to drive next year, so we were looking for a cart now. We were lucky to find a barely-used custom Lignite mini cart, built for a horse the same size as ours, for $750. Everyone said, No, buy a cheap cart to start! But my thought was, if I buy good quality, I only have to buy it once!

We started driving our big horse this year, who was already trained. I took lessons with him all summer, and have been driving him every week. Hopefully, with some help, we'll get the little guy going next year. (We just bought him, and he's 7.) He had some starting training previously.

mayville ... I agree with investing and buying quality to start with if you can! I just ordered a Pacific smart cart and although very pricey, I know I will not regret my decision and if I had to, could resell it with no problem! Quality used carts seem to be hard to find and it seems you found a good one! I want to feel secure with my equipment as there are too many things that can go wrong that are out of our control to begin with ... using cheaply made tackequipment is one thing I have control over, so why take any chances! Good luck
default_saludando.gif

Do you plan to just drive around in your back yard or do some serious showing, parades etc.? If you are just going to drive at home, then a used harness and cart would be fine. You can always upgrade later. But I would skip building the cart, would be much easier and probably faster to buy an easy entry cart. But my advice, make sure you get a harness that fits your horse. We have three driving horses and they all have different body builds, and I find it most frustrating getting a bridle that fits properly. Next harness I buy, I plan to take the horse with me so we can try in person. Have Fun!!

It really was a huge expenditure for us, but I feel good knowing we are set. It was sold to us by some awesome people who were kind enough to let us spread out the $$ a little bit. I am looking forward to putting it to good use next year!

If you're talking quality, you're right -- and buying good used is better than buying cheap/crappy new.

However, a good quality easy entry does not mean a cheap or lesser quality cart. Many people (including Leia) start out with fancier carts and end up getting a "kick-around" training or all terrain cart.

While I do eventually want a CDE cart with better suspension and steel wheels, I'll always want a "play" cart for the beach, logging roads, and training young horses. Therefore, our CTM easy entry cart is now and will always be well worth every penney.

By the way, at the Happs VSE Driving Trials Twice this past month, there were any number of easy entry carts being used for training level (with pneumatic tires). They are real workhorses.

Latest posts

Back