Driving question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMR

Reaction score
Anyone know how many miles per hour they do while driving? At the walk and trot? Just wondering how long it would take me to travel say, 15 miles? My current driving mini is 31 inches tall, hooks up to my easy entry, so is pulling about 250-300 pounds. I also have a 37 inch mini, and then of course my big horses. Could you guys give me an example of how many miles you can do in a certain amount of time? Would you say faster or slower than a bicycle?

I don't know about the minis, but my 15.2H gelding walks about 4 MPH. [i used to ride the perimeter of a square mile (1 mile each side) and it would take about an hour when we only walked.]

It very much depends on the horse. our 17hand TB walks 4 mph away from the barn and 7mph back tward home.[ doesnt change gates so much as he lengthens his stride]. my wifes 14 hand paso fino walked about 7 mph up or down hill. we have a neibor who drives his donkey at around 7 or 8 mph but Id say that was exceptional. the donkey just really likes to go.hope this helps DR.

The standard required trot pace for a VSE on marathon is 9km per hour, or 6 minutes and 40 seconds per km. For most of the minis, large or small, you have to hold them back to an easy pace in order to avoid coming in too fast over a 5-10km course. A lot of people are pushing to use the pony times which are 12km per hour as they think the minis can easily trot that speed. I tend to agree although with my 33.25" mini I'd rather go ten or eleven km per hour as his legs are a lot shorter than the 37"er's! LOL.

Right now in my area the minis do not do the walk section so I couldn't tell you how fast the expected marching pace there is. I do know an excited mini can keep up with the big guys on a trail ride though so I would guess 4MPH also. That's what I was taught the "standard" walk speed was for a big horse.

Leia

Edited to add: Remember, 15 miles is a long way for an unshod horse. Watch their feet closely if you intend to do this all in one push, bring Easy Boots, and condition condition condition before trying it. The best way to find out how long it will take is to simply have the horse go a measured mile at a comfortable pace (be that trot or walk for the individual horse) and time it then do the math factoring in the fact they will slow over distance, need breaks to rest, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid I had a 36" mare that my mom & I drove everywhere. She was clocked at a trot speed of 20 mph, but of course you couldn't expect her to actually trot 20 miles in an hour :lol:

I have a bicycle with a speedometer on it, and a friend rode beside me while out trotting my 32". We went about 11 mph at a trot. I think it would take quite of bit of conditioning to go 15 miles with a miniature! I am not sure I would want to ride in the cart as long as it would take!

Marsha

Back