Driving minis on Asphalt?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse-A-Holic

Reaction score
I value your opinions and was wondering how everyone feels about driving miniatures on asphalt?

I live up in the mountains, so we do not have much in the way of level ground for driving on our property unfortunately, and wind up trailering to any nice sized, flat, grassy area we can locate usually. But that really limits you to a small area to "explore" and can get a bit boring really after while..... You also have to contend with marking gopher holes, and I never really relax and enjoy the ride thinking we may have missed one.

A few of our friends with minis take advantage of the miles and miles of black-topped bike/walk paths that are around, but I have always been under the impression it is really hard for a horse to do much more than just light walking, let alone trotting, on such hard footing.

I would love to hear your ideas on this, thanks!

I frequently take mine on a 2 mile route that is all asphalt. We also drive around town for 3-4 miles and I've never noticed any tenderness or problem. Another asphalt route we take sometimes is a hiking/jogging path of about 4 miles. I think it is actually good for them to move on a hard surface sometimes.

Concrete can be a problem because of being more slippery.

Correct trimming is most important.

jmho

I agree with Marsha on this. We do build up his time on the pavement each spring.

Keep in mind that "asphalt" is a name used for very different surfaces, including "tarmac" (tar & gravel...fairly resilient, especially in summer) and the hard suburban driveway kind (potentially quite slippery and NOT resilient). We drive without worry on the first kind but only walk cautiously on the latter.

I find road asphalt to be a generally good surface for driving on in bare feet. It is usually non slippery and has enough give to it that it isn't horribly stressful on their legs. You do have to watch in the summer that it doesn't get so hot it is uncomfortable for the horse. You also need to be careful going up or down hills - if they are too steep the asphalt can be slippery. Like Suzanne, I build up their time on it gradually in the spring.

It's grit and gravel that will wear the feet down much quicker than simple pavement- given a choice I would go for the level surface every time. Just keep an eye on his feet- I made the mistake of shoeing Rabbit's sire because we did so much roadwork and I nearly ruined his feet. Luckily I knew how to take shoes off, and did so but you only appreciate how quickly a Mini's feet grow when the animal is shod- I have never seen anything like it!!

I still have the shoes soemwhere........

The farrier made them up specially from a worn set, then cut them down so they were less weight for him.

I had them on two weeks then had to take them off again, and he never did go "footy"

Well thank you so much every one for all of your input!

Sounds like so far the consensus is that it should not harm the minis bones, tendons, etc? That takes a load of worry off my mind.

That will open up so much more fun for us next spring.
default_smile.png
And yes, I will most definitely pay attention to the amount of heat coming off the trail, as well as the slickness/ tackiness of it....

I look forward to it, sure makes me wish we were not under a couple feet of snow all ready!

Thanks again.

Well thank you so much every one for all of your input!

Sounds like so far the consensus is that it should not harm the minis bones, tendons, etc? That takes a load of worry off my mind.

That will open up so much more fun for us next spring.
default_smile.png
And yes, I will most definitely pay attention to the amount of heat coming off the trail, as well as the slickness/ tackiness of it....

I look forward to it, sure makes me wish we were not under a couple feet of snow all ready!

Thanks again.

You can get very good "real" tendon boots for minis now too. Mine are out in my tack box, but I think they are Pro Choice. I also have some of the other ones...but they do not do anything but LOOK like they might work, when in fact they don't do a thing for the horse, that a regular splint boot would.

Sue,

I was considering getting splint boots or the professional's choice type tendon boots for my mares, assuming that as green horses are first hooked/hitched, they are at risk for interference as they learn to balance cart and human. Do you recommend the tendon boots? I had professional's choice boots for my reining horses years back, when they really first were coming on the market. I did like them then, but had concerns about putting such a bulky boot on a little leg. Any issues with that? I drive about a mile on pavement to get to my trail system, which is snowmobile trails. My horses do not seem bothered by the pavement, and in fact seem to enjoy the lighter overall load of the cart. Their feet have held up well, but I do little trotting until I get to the softer trails.

Any opinions on boots in general, and tendon support boots and bell boots in particular, would be appreciated.

Katie

Sue,

I was considering getting splint boots or the professional's choice type tendon boots for my mares, assuming that as green horses are first hooked/hitched, they are at risk for interference as they learn to balance cart and human. Do you recommend the tendon boots? I had professional's choice boots for my reining horses years back, when they really first were coming on the market. I did like them then, but had concerns about putting such a bulky boot on a little leg. Any issues with that? I drive about a mile on pavement to get to my trail system, which is snowmobile trails. My horses do not seem bothered by the pavement, and in fact seem to enjoy the lighter overall load of the cart. Their feet have held up well, but I do little trotting until I get to the softer trails.

Any opinions on boots in general, and tendon support boots and bell boots in particular, would be appreciated.

Katie
I love the Pro Choice tendon boots, and don't find them too bulky at all...or I should say...my mare doesn't seem to. She is the one in my avatar, not a teeny mare at almost 34", but not a big-bodied, heavy legged mare either. (picture is in full non-shed spring coat) Most often I drive in heavier footing, and that is when I use them...but they would also be of great support for your use as well.

Latest posts

Back