Driving horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.M. Minis

Reaction score
I have just started a new horse today to drive my question is how well brock do you like to have them before you would by one. Im wanting to put him on a sale on sep 3 what do you think.

IMO - I certainly wouldn't consider him broke to drive with only 30 days on him. I sent my stallion to a nationally known driving trainer, and he had him 75 days, and he was broke, but still needs miles on him

Myself I would advertise a horse like that as "started" to drive. I would consider 90 days+ of at least 3X weekly sessions (lasting at least 30 min. or more) in multiple situations (such as on trails, etc. and at shows) before I would consider a horse "broke" and even then I would be careful and make sure the people who purchase know the extent of the training.

I don't know that a driving horse is ever 100% "finished" as it seems there is always something more to strive for, but I would think a horse with one entire season at least 6 months of regular driving could be considered fairly broke or trained, but it depends on the horse, etc.

Liz M.

I had my stud at a trainer for 60 days. He is a pretty calm horse too. He will work in the cart and has pretty good manners for a 3 yr. old in the arena driving. However, he's by no means "broke" for someone who hasn't driven or hasn't worked with horses. You have to be careful harnessing and taking it all off. It wouldn't take much carelessness with this to make him a nightmare of a horse! He needs lots of handling in harness and miles on the cart. And we're not even talking headset for showing.

Myself I would advertise a horse like that as "started" to drive. I would consider 90 days+ of at least 3X weekly sessions (lasting at least 30 min. or more) in multiple situations (such as on trails, etc. and at shows) before I would consider a horse "broke" and even then I would be careful and make sure the people who purchase know the extent of the training.

I don't know that a driving horse is ever 100% "finished" as it seems there is always something more to strive for, but I would think a horse with one entire season at least 6 months of regular driving could be considered fairly broke or trained, but it depends on the horse, etc.

Liz M.

I agree with this.

How Long would you wait before you showed your horse in driving?? I Just taught My horse ot drive about 3 weeks ago I drive him now about 2-4 times a week depending for about 1 hour and a half. I am working on getting miles on him but do you think in another month I could take him in the ring??

Liz M.

Agree. It also depends on the horse. A difficult horse could take longer to "get" it.

Also, WHO is doing the training and what are their qualifications? I would not touch a horse who had been started by a "do it yourselfer" who figures they read a book and trained the dog to sit- how hard could it be? That's just a big old can of potential problems. I would much rather have a totally untouched greenbean in that case.

I agree with the others that the horse should be sold only as started. It's less than a month away. My gelding was trained last fall professionally for around 75 days. He was in his first driving show last month. He is an outstanding horse who has great potential but he is still green...and he did not do a lot of "winning" in the driving. He is looking a lot better now and going to his next show next weekend. And he is as sane as they get. But after all this time I still say he is green..(he is only 3 btw)

A lot of it depends on the horse and the person doing to training. If you don't have a lot of experience then you are just asking for trouble. IMO

Well...knowing it is you doing the training and all the experience you have....I'd say it will depend more on the horse and how well they take to it than on the time and training you've put on it.

SO.........tell us more about THIS horse and why you want to get it started driving.....have any pictures you can post????? :bgrin

The other thing that plays into it all is who the buyer ends up being at the sale. There are people that can handle a green horse and do well with it and there are others that need a really well broke horse.

I'd say it would be safe for you to say "started" or "green broke" to drive and if this is for your sale that is coming up anyone that attends knows your family is known for breeding, training and showing great driving horses so will assume the horse is probably off to a good start.

I highly suggest driving the horse before the sale for people to see and if you trust someone that is seriously interested, letting them drive it too. All the sales I've attended where people got to either see or try out a driving horse the horse has had several bidders and gone for a pretty decent price.

Myself, I would take the horse to a show and test them out in the ring just warming up w/other horses and expose them to that atmosphere before I went into the ring and possibly jeopardized other unaware drivers. I know others don't adhere to this, though, and have seen some amazing wrecks at shows from self-professed "new to the ring" horses that had only "been started the week before" shame on them. (this was/is a trainer, too).

I wouldn't go by how a horse was doing in their average and usual surroundings before I would enter them in a show w/other drivers in an actual class. Take your time, you won't be sorry and you may even save a lot of grief for all involved. It is a whole different ball game w/the show cart, other horses in show carts and the drivers making noises, their whips, coming up from behind, overtaking them and you, etc. to a horse that is already green.

Depends on the horse, but again be cautious and take your time.

Liz M.

The first time I posted, I must not have had enough coffee. I was thinking you were breaking him to sell.

I'd say play it by ear as far as if he'd be ready to show. That's not A LOT of time really for him to be ready to drive at a show.

Do you have a way you can take him and drive him off your farm to get him used to driving away from home? And a way to drive him around other minis driving? That would help him not be too surprised about what happens at the show for driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
How Long would you wait before you showed your horse in driving?? I Just taught My horse ot drive about 3 weeks ago I drive him now about 2-4 times a week depending for about 1 hour and a half. I am working on getting miles on him but do you think in another month I could take him in the ring??
I would wait till next year to show him Devon and get some experience under both your belts. No matter how quiet the horse and how experienced the driver, showing at a Fair there are a lot of distractions and stuff that goes on that could upset him. You don't have enough experience to deal with trouble if something does happen in the ring and that would put you and everyone else in the ring at risk.

Some background for you guys: Russ is an "Amateur" only in that he doesn't take in outside horses to train. (Kind of like Lisa Davis of LTD is an "Amateur" :bgrin )

Russ, I agree--I'd list him as "started" or "green broke". A lot depends on the horse--if he has as much fire in his belly as some of your driving horses, I would sure mention he was for an experienced driver. So, when are you going to learn how to post pictures? I'm still waiting to see the colt with the Texas Longhorn on his side....

Latest posts

Back