Driving horse for amputee

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leilani

Reaction score
My best friend had a birth defect in both of his feet and has his feet amputated when he was just a year old. While he has lived with prosthetic legs his whole life sometimes his knees and nubs hurt too badly to wear them. Anyways I was curious if a mini horse could be trained to pull him when he is not able to wear his legs. My dad had 2 horses but I really don't know anything about mini horses so any information about them would be helpful. Thank you

Absolutely! Minis are very well suited for working with persons with many physical and other challenges. I've worked with a therapy riding and driving center for severl years and one of our star therapy horses is a mini gelding that my wife and I trained. Minis are so willing and easy going they are ideal for therapy work.

The chalenge is morre in designing a vehicle to accommodate the driver, It has to be strong enough to securely hold him, easy to get in and out of and light enough for the horse to pull. I would think in the situation you describe, none of those issues would be difficult at all. If your friend can get around well enough to get into an easy entry cart and then remove the prothetics for comfort, there should be no problem making a support for his legs in the cart and he's off to enjoy himslf.

Take your time finding a mini that has a good temperament, willingly stands for being put to the cart and has a good way of going and you are good to go. That really describes most minis anyway so that part isn't too difficult.

Last Summer I was asked to find a horse and cart for a 4 year old boy with MD. He has no core body strength and can't hold his hear up by himself, so he has to be in a wheel chair. We determined the horse would be suitable when the youngster was leading him around the arena from the power chair and the horse simply trotted along with him on a loose lead.

In that case, we built a special cart with a ramp to load a small wheelchair right onto the cart, and a seat next to the opening where the chair sat for the mother to sit. She can drive, and the youngster can also drive using a second set of lines. In time, he'll be driving by himself and I look forward to seeing him showing his mini in driving shows.

There really is no limit to what these little horses can do, and I could write pages on what we've done with our minis working with therapy. GO FOR IT! you'll all have nothing but fun We are ocated in SW WI, if you're anyway near, contact me and maybe I can help.

Minis are just amazing little horses.And Wayne is right, GO FOR IT!! I also want to welcome you to the forum from Fairdale,Kentucky.
default_saludando.gif
The people here are great and always willing to help, so post away..lol.

Good for you for thinking of new possibilities for your friend! Just wanted to add...don't be seduced by a pretty face!

The advice from horsenaround is excellent..if at all possible go and visit those experienced and using these little horses and have some hands on experience. Haste always seems to make waste in the horse industry!

Prices vary, naturally, but minis are generally pretty long lived (barring illness or accident) so a person has years to enjoy them. Others with more experience can respond to this, but I've purchased several senior citizens (15 - 17 years) and they are still going strong in their early 20's. Sometimes the older horse can be a fabulous bargain if otherwise healthy!

Best wishes!

Reactions: JAX
Yep I have 4 in their late 20s and 2 in their early 30s... One of them in her late 20s is having some issues with arthritis but my oldest girl about 33 doesn't even have a gray hair yet and you would never know that she is even half her age!!!

The retired brood mare I got last year is amazing. She will be 21 this year. She is a driving dream for me. I don't think it is age, though, as my regular driving gelding will be 17 this year and he is just as ornery and hard headed as he's been the 12 years I've owned him. Definitely look for a stable, sensible horse for anyone handicapped--set yourself up for success.

What a fantastic project!

I am not sure the intent here is just driving for fun or if Leilani means for the horse to pull the friend around town (city?) as he goes about his daily life?

I was hoping that a mini horse would be able to go with him anywhere he needed to go, the store, the beach, the bank.... I know that the have mini horses as service animals for the blind and I was hoping that a mini could help out my friend as well.

Thank you all for your help I really appreciate all the wonderful information.

Latest posts

Back