Driver's Ed update for Mingus

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
We had another lesson with Portia yesterday, and it went so well I couldn't stop talking about it all afternoon -- Have I mentioned before that Portia is just an incredible person as well as a great trainer? If not, I should say it a thousand times! (She has to get some entertainment out of the susanne and Mingus show -- between my incredible klutziness and Mingus' indominable character!)

For those who haven't read my earlier posts, Portia agreed to work with us on a per lesson basis, essentially coaching me to train Mingus. I had started Mingus on lunging and ground-driving already, but with my lack of experience and a desire to make the most of Mingus' potential, we wanted to work with a trainer. We are so fortunate to have the opportunity to work with one of the best.

Winter and early spring were a challenge with cold, snow, rain and mud and no covered arena up here on our hill, but now that spring is here, we're really making progress.

After first addressing Mingus' dominance issues (or actually MY lack of dominance!!), we began working seriously on lunging exercises -- bending (he was counterbending terribly when going clockwise), finding his balance and putting some serious brakes on him. He has had a tendency to want to face me and back when he is confused, which would obviously not be a good thing when hitched, but we've overcome that one, and he walks, trots, backs and whoas beautifully on the lunge, and is developing smooth transitions.

Portia has had us use a loose fixed rein to discourage the counterbending as well as (separately, of course) sliding side reins for finding his balance. Mingus is developing the most beautiful form and respects the bit, rarely going above or behind it and almost never fighting it. He knows his job and enjoys doing it -- trotting along with a most determined look, one ear always cocked toward me.

Ground-driving has come so naturally with him...he truly enjoys it and obeys the subtlest of rein cues. We work figure eights and use soccer balls in lieu of cones...he is so willing a nd agile, and truly enjoys our partnership. He is even overcoming the powerful temptation of lush green grass when we go out of the corral. I always wonder how our work sessions sounds to the neighbors, though, as my praise is soft, low and sweet, but my reprimands as loud and firm...I guess they only hear the latter and think I'm a real witch (and probably think I'm bossing Keith!)

Portia was extremely complimentary on our progress and took a huge step forward -- bringing her training cart into the arena and pulling it in front of him, behind him, and alongside. No big deal, said Mingus...been there, done that! We've made a point of exposing him to every noisy, scary thing we have around here, and he's been bothered by nothing but an impending thunderstorm.

One concern...

Mingus has a habit of standing up on the lower wires of the (supposedly) no-climb fencing in a futile attempt to reach the grass outside his corral, and has broken chunks out of his front hooves. I had spotted the one, not so serious side,, but at the lesson we all saw that he had a bigger, deeper notch on the other hoof. He was moving just a bit gingerly while trotting -- not really extending -- and Portia thought that it might have broken into the quick.

He's moving just fine today, but we'll take a couple of days off and keep a close eye on him. This means, however, that we need to finally add hot wire to keep him off the fence!

Then it's on to pool noodles (as an introduction to having something in the tug loops) and more ground-driving...then onward and upward!

PS: I have to add that, for now, we're using an extremely well-padded, very utilitarian synthetic work harness to allow time to find the perfect harness for him. Seeing him in this no frills affair, I now know nothing less than a gorgeous harness will do for him...I can almost hear him singing..."I'm too sexy for my harness..."

PPS: Mingus made me add that he looks like Joe Cool in blinders!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, that's way cool Susanne! We KNEW Mr. Mingus was going to think no harness was good enough for him but it's wonderful to hear that he's made such progress in his driver's ed and I can't wait to see for myself. You'd better bring his gear to Pacific Crown so you can show off for me and I can get pictures of him!

Leia

I can't wait to see pictures of Mingus in harness!

Sounds like you're both having a lot of fun, and that he's really enjoying the exercise for his brain!

Sounds like you're having a lovely time :bgrin

I'm about at the same stage with a friend's horse, and I find it a really exciting and joyful experience, seeing the little improvements every day, dealing with the little "issues" as they appear, and just watching as an untrained (in the driving sense) horse turns into a competitive harness prospect. Very satisfying.
default_yes.gif
:

ETA can't wait to see pics
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool Susanne, Mingus is going to be an awsome driving horse very soon! I'm so excited for you and him and can't wait to see you with a big grin on your face in the cart.

Thanks, everyone!

We are indeed having a blast -- I can't wait to actually drive him, but at the same time I refuse to rush anything. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, and recently came across a series of comments on the CD-L listserv about how many Haflinger drivers take their horses' good natures for g ranted and skip or rush critical steps in their driving training. I discussed this with Portia, and she felt strongly that many tend to rush minis for the same reasons. Mingus has great common sense and handles most situations with aplomb, but I want to "sack him out" just as thoroughly as if he were a flighty, easily-panicked horse.

I've always maintained that if any of our horses do nothing more than be pasture pets, they'll be doing their jobs...everything else is extra, and only done if it is fun for them. Mingus loves his new job and I intend to keep it that way!

BTW, I'm happy to report that Mingus no longer appears to be sore in front, so if we can eliminate the fence climbing, we should be fine.

What fun!!! Thank you so much for sharing your adventures, Susanne. Portia sounds like she is really thorough in developing a solid horse, and that is great. You of course are a wonderful caretaker of your horse friends, so I am sure you wouldn't allow anything less, anyway!

Will be looking forward to seeing you guys in the ring! Or on the CDE course. ;)

Glad to hear it's going so well! Can't WAIT to see Mingus... (that's a hint)

Kari

Lucky you, Susanne, to be close enough to work with Portia; she is nothing less than the BEST(in my mind, she is the "ONLY" person I'd send a miniature horse to(if for any reason I couldn't do it myself!) She is an friend of over 20 years(though I haven't gotten to see her very often in quite a few years...since she's lived in Oregon)--but she has ALWAYS had my respect and admiration! She will definitely help you in providing a sound foundation for both you AND Mingus in driving. I had exactly the same thoughts about miniatures when the Haffie discussion was going on; you may recall that another mini owner posted with a similar statement; I meant to post, but didn't get to it until the thread was dormant....but that has been my observation; I would be hesitant to consider purchase of MANY miniatures that are advertised as 'broke/trained to drive', unless I could see/hook/drive them MYSELF(or unless I had a personal evaluation from someone such as Portia!! :bgrin :bgrin )

Pictures, pictures, pictures, please!

And tell Portia that Margo says 'hello'!

Congrats on all the good learning, AND all the fun, you are getting/having!!

Margo

Hopefully you'll see us at both cde's and breed shows, Amy!

Kari, I'm crossing my fingers that Mingus will be driving by our next beach drive, but if nothing else he'll be ground-driving! Speaking of which, do you and your family have any work weekends planned? Be sure to let us know, as we mean our offer to help!

And Margo, you are so right about Portia...and it's utterly amazing that someone with so much knowledge and talent is so down-to-earth -- I am sooo happy to be working with her. I'll definitely say hi to her for you!

I am so happy for you Susanne!! :aktion033: Mingus will looks right smashing in harness and cart and can't wait to see you both! Sounds like you found the perfect teacher and are having a lot of fun.

Back