Dressage for minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahorse

Reaction score
I have a few questions about doing dressage with miniatures. When you do dressage with a cart, do you do the same patterns big horses do? I can't visualize doing things like turn on the haunches and side passing in a cart?
default_unsure.png

Also, a while back their was a thread with several people wanting to start in-hand dressage. Is their an update on this? I would LOVE to be able to learn to do this, and see this become a class in shows!
default_yes.gif

Well, it IS rather difficult to pirouette in a cart or do a true half-pass but you can certainly leg-yield!
default_biggrin.png
No, the tests for driven dressage use a lot more straight lines, circles, half-circles, diagonal lines and serpentines in combination with collected, working, lengthened, and extended gaits. Some of the most upper level tests do include canter movements which as you can imagine are quite an achievement with no aids but your voice, hands, and whip.
default_new_shocked.gif
It's hard to keep a driving horse balanced through small canter circles in proper form. It's easy enough to get them to go heck-for-leather through an obstacle at a gallop, but not to canter calmly on the bit when a trot is surely easier. Edited to add: Especially when you're talking pairs, tandems, or four-in-hands!

We don't do the same tests as ridden dressage horses but every horse at the same level does the same test at a driven dressage event be they big or little. We typically get a smaller arena to be in-scale to us, but that's the only difference.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also be interested in learning to do dressage in hand or with a horse hooked up to a cart. I use to ride dressage when I was younger and just loved it. Where can I get more info?

Thanks So Much,

Linda
default_laugh.png

There is a book and companion video by Richard Hinrichs called "Schooling Horses in Hand" which includes a number of dressage movements such as shoulder in, renvers, and even piaffe and airs above the ground. I am not necessarily recommending it, just mentioning it. I bought my copy on-line, but I don't remember where. And no, I haven't trained any of our minis to do any of those movements yet. It might make a good winter activity though!

Hi there

Yes that is one of my older topics from this past summer i believe
default_smile.png
. Anyway, i have a gelding that is really reponsive to pressure on the halter, i played around with him for a while and it really become fun. I cannot explaine it, but it was kind of like dancing (?). Very fun, it was not dressage or anywhere near it for that matter, but still tons of fun.

I love the idea of dressage in hand (not driving or long reining), just in hand with a halter, lead and small short whip. I wish i could take like a 5 minute video of what Chief does, its so pretty, but still not dressage. Its just no the same concept. Same look and feel ...just different concept.

I talked with Tanya herself allot, someone gave me this link a while back and i really really love what she does and think she is great. http://www.tanyashorses.com/

Leeana

If there is interest in somehow adding this to shows, I do have a suggestion. Around here, and in PtHA, there is often a class called Disciplined Rail (name is unimportant - concept is), that is even run in some Mini shows. Everyone enters the ring together and the judge can issue various commands (listed in an official rule book) such as walk, trot, stop, back, lead from the off side, and even canter (briefly!). It would be very easy to add some dressage movements such as shoulder in, renvers, extended trot, whatever. Since the horses are judged on their overall performance, and you never know what the judge will ask for, the class could have widespread appeal. A horse could do well without doing any "dressage" if he did everything else well. It would depend on what was required and how the other horses performed, but could be an easy way to phase in dressage.

We have entered this class at local shows with our minis and it can be great fun. My husband once won when they asked for canter and a forum member (who will remain nameless) was penalized because her mini was on the wrong lead!

Actually Mary what you are describing is more like command class. A musical freestyle would highlight dressage moves better, plus its like liberty in a way too. We are including that class in our fun show in may. Linda

Disciplined Rail IS run like command, except you are are not eliminated for a mistake and are judged on HOW you do. I only mention it because it doesn't take up the extra time that a class like Liberty (or musical freestyle) does and it would not be limited to only those minis that can do a lot of dressage moves. Thus it could be a good way to phase it in. But certainly there are better ways to showcase "dressage" such as your musical freestyle.

Now, if I only knew when my mares will foal and if I can count on making your fun show....... Maybe I will do a bit of training for it anyway.

I was looking at the Tanya site you posted. She is too neat. I looked up her MiniMarvels on Youtube and found this.

When I have time I am going to look for more minimarvels later. Fun to watch!

Emma

I really hope you do get to come Mary, I know you will have a good time. We are having a hands free obstacle which should be highly entertaining!

I really hope you do get to come Mary, I know you will have a good time. We are having a hands free obstacle which should be highly entertaining!

"Led dressage" with a halter just doesn't sound very fun to me but man, I'd LOVE to get a chance to do that hands-free obstacle thing! I've been training like crazy all winter.

Leia

Well Leia, I think you and Cody would do just fine. Might take you a while to get here though. You could stay at my house. lol
default_biggrin.png

Well I haven't been training for the hands- free obstacle because it is way too icy here. But if I do get to the show, I have 2 here I would love to try. I think our 3 year old stallion would beat the pants (or halter) off our 4 year old mare. As long as there weren't any mares in heat.... I must figure out a way to practice.

Be careful Fred, I might take you up on that someday!
default_eat.gif
default_wink.png

Targetsmom, work with each of them in their stalls after dinner. You can at least get them to pivot on both ends, sidepass, back up and stop without touching them. Then turn them loose one at a time in your barn aisle and practice walk/trot/stop. You'll at least get the basics established!

Leia

Hey Leia - I would love to meet you, so if you get this way, you can stay at MY house!

Our barn doesn't really have an aisle... but I will figure out a way to work on this! I do have a large overhang area that is not icy. The problem is what to do with the minis that I am not working with, since 3 of them are out 24/7 (and of course those are not the ones I want to work with). And I don't have to wait for after dinner because I work from home so I can work with them any time.

Hey Leia if you do I will let you drive the two of mine that can piaffe in harness. Got one that can piroutte too but I don't encourage it as it tends to upset the other drivers in the class.

I wish our club had hands free obstacle
default_sad.png
default_wub.png

Thats too neat you win the money made from the class if not it carries to the next show
default_smile.png

I loved reading the stories from it LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
SCORE!! I would very much like to meet the two of you as well so if I ever get out that way I will definitely come for a visit. I've never been to that part of the country so it might be fun.
default_yes.gif
Maybe the Lord Stirling CDE in May in NJ (I have an opportunity to navigate for a mini four-in-hand if I want to), or the Walnut Hill Show in NY? I have no real idea how far those are from you.
default_wacko.png

Leia

Walnut Hill [i think] is about 5-6 ours from me. NJ might be about the same because I don't know exactly where the CDE in NJ is. I live on the NH seacoast. You would be welcome anytime.

Latest posts

Back