Dream aborted...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for the good thoughts, Dream is doing well...having the vet out once more in the morning to check her out but i think today was just her going into labor and preparing to abort the foal, even the vet thought and treated her as she was having a PLE episode. Signs were the same but i am just so cautious about her PLE that i figured she was having an episode...as did the vet.

She has carried foals full term before...i believe this is the first foal she has aborted. We will try agian in March for a 2010 foal....

I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope you get a healthy baby from this pair, they are beautiful!

I do wonder about the mare's needing thyroid meds - with women, thyroid conditions sometimes contribute to infertility issues and ability to carry a healthy pregnancy.

But if she's had healthy pregnancy's before it sounds like this was (hopefully!) a fluke.

I have a mare that is on Thyro L powder and she has been able to have foals for us with no problem at all. Hopefully this is just one of those things and will not happen again. It is sooooo hard to look at those little bodies after and not see all of your hopes and dreams just laying there. I am sorry you are having to go thru this. <<hugs>>

default_no.gif
so sorry for your loss Leeana, I know you were looking forward to Narkos first foal. Hope your mare recovers so you can breed her again. Hugs to you and Dream.

Yvonne

Thank you for the thoughts...We will try agian in March. Ive to heard that mares with Thyroids especially horses on ThryoL powder can sometimes be steril...but she has carried foals before fine so possibly just in some cases? Im just glad she is fine.

Had the name picked out for this colt already..i know im silly...

GC's Dream On ...guess that one will have to wait another year...will fit the next foal even more so.

I have got a few PM's..no Dream is not depressed ext like a normal mare would be after loosing her foal. I dont think she got to bond with this fetus..when i got to the barn she was laying down still with the fetus on the ground by her rear end..so i dont think she got to lick or attempt to bond like a normal dam would. She is not showing any signs of disstress over loosing the foal, i think that is why...i got her out of the stall and away from the fetus before she tried to bond. When i got back down to the barn i seen she was laying agian, went in the stall to try get her up and that is when i noticed the fetus was out. Hopefully 2010 will be her year...

Leanna, I am so sorry
default_no.gif
Dream is beautiful, I hope you get that gorgeous baby you've been dreaming of on the next try.

Thank you for the thoughts...We will try agian in March. Ive to heard that mares with Thyroids especially horses on ThryoL powder can sometimes be steril...but she has carried foals before fine so possibly just in some cases? Im just glad she is fine.
Had the name picked out for this colt already..i know im silly...

GC's Dream On ...guess that one will have to wait another year...will fit the next foal even more so.

I have got a few PM's..no Dream is not depressed ext like a normal mare would be after loosing her foal. I dont think she got to bond with this fetus..when i got to the barn she was laying down still with the fetus on the ground by her rear end..so i dont think she got to lick or attempt to bond like a normal dam would. She is not showing any signs of disstress over loosing the foal, i think that is why...i got her out of the stall and away from the fetus before she tried to bond. When i got back down to the barn i seen she was laying agian, went in the stall to try get her up and that is when i noticed the fetus was out. Hopefully 2010 will be her year...

Hi Leanna

People are commenting on her underactive (or overactive) thyroid. I'm more apt to think that this may be due to the PLE. I've been reading a bit about this and abortion is fairly common. You should get second, third, and fourth opinions from vets before breeding her again IMHO.

Again, I'm sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt,

The first vet i called which is the closest did not have a large knowledge of PLE or treatment, i believe PLE is very rare. She developed PLE from a severe reation to the Safegaurd (Fenbendazole). Not sure if the thyrod developed from that or ? She had a very strict diet put together by dr tiznic (spelling?) who has been one of the most education persons we have had the chance to talk with about the PLE / Thyroid condition. She is a very health mare, believe me, and we follow a very strict diet with her which she has been on since she developed PLE..i believe outside causes had something to do in this case. We will never know what happened, but this one was not ment to be. Vet is stopping out once agian in the morning to check on her but she is healthy and has had no problems prior carrying a foal. We are going to try for a 2010 foal..she is going to be staying in the barn, out of the mare pasture the rest of this year and following. Abortion is high risk...we found that out today first hand.

Matt,The first vet i called which is the closest did not have a large knowledge of PLE or treatment, i believe PLE is very rare. She developed PLE from a severe reation to the Safegaurd (Fenbendazole). Not sure if the thyrod developed from that or ? She had a very strict diet put together by dr tiznic (spelling?) who has been one of the most education persons we have had the chance to talk with about the PLE / Thyroid condition. She is a very health mare, believe me, and we follow a very strict diet with her which she has been on since she developed PLE..i believe outside causes had something to do in this case. We will never know what happened, but this one was not ment to be. Vet is stopping out once agian in the morning to check on her but she is healthy and has had no problems prior carrying a foal. We are going to try for a 2010 foal..she is going to be staying in the barn, out of the mare pasture the rest of this year and following. Abortion is high risk...we found that out today first hand.

Sorry Leanna. I know this is a hard time. I don't mean to pick... I know she's in an AMAZING home with a GREAT mom. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise
default_wink.png
All I'm suggesting (for YOUR sake as well as hers) is to make sure she can carry a foal (whether she has in the past or not is irrelevant).

Leanna I am so sorry!!!!! Thank goodness dream is ok. She's so pretty.

Leeana,

I am sorry about the foal. I am happy your mare is ok though. I do want to thank you for taking a picture of the little one with the hoof pic. Whenever these types of pictures are posted I never can tell how big or small they are. I had no idea they were so small but yet SO developed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry your mare lost her foal! She is a beautiful mare and so is the sire to the foal. I'm glad your mare is doing well.

I think the fetus is small for three months but it has been a while since we have lost one.

Beth

Leena,

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's so disappointing! I'm glad your mare is doing well.

Size compared to a hoof pic, foal would be 3 months along...does this look normal size to you? I figured it would be larger by now..sire is 32" and dam is 32.5"
I don't think it's an unusual size, the photo I have on my webpages of an approx. 3 month fetus is 7.5" I don't now how long a hoof pick is but I would guess it's around the same size. With your permission I would like to save the photos and info you posted to add to my fetus development pages, I will be updating the pages this winter.

Latest posts

Back