Dream aborted...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
This morning we had the vet out for Dream, she is a "high maintance" mare, she has Protein Loosing Enteropathy and an overactive Thyroid so she is somewhat high maintance. She came here in June from a farm that dispersed here in Ohio. She is a really special mare to me. Anyway, we had the vet out this morning as she was acting really "off"....when a "PLE Attack" comes on..it comes on with all the signs of a severe colic (not a colic..), which she was showing this morning except she was passing manure very often, brought her in and got the vet out and he treated her. I took off work today to stay home and keep an eye on her. She seemed okay. All day today watching her like a hawk. This evening i was cleaning stalls and put her in the roundpen while i cleaned her stall but as soon as i put her outside she started acting off once outside, really prancy and laying down..getting up..laying down getting up and rolling over on her back and just laying there on her back, so i brought her in and put her in a clean stall and ran up to the house to grab my phone to call the vet as i wanted to take her in which was what the vet said to do if i didnt see a change by this evening. By the time i got back out to the barn about 8 minutes later her water had broke and she was laying down with the foal delivered
default_sad.png
. Vet was out to check her out agian after she slipped the foal...she is doing well.

It should be about three months along exactly..she was bred June 21-28th...this would be Narko's first foal..an angel foal
default_sad.png

So disapointing...this was going to be my keeper foal next year..this was the cross i was most excited for. Was going to take Dream to nationals next year and show her in the broodmare class too
default_no.gif
and was planning this foal to go to nationals next year. Im very glad that Dream is okay, i'd rather loose the foal this early then loose this mare..she is one of my most faverite mares.

It was a colt too ...all sexual organs were there...lips were developed and nostrils hooves...ears were almost completely developed. No hair or fuzz at all. I do not know why she aborted...i pay extra attention to this mare because of her PLE and Thyroid but i guess some things are just out of our hands ..

001AngelAbort3.jpg

Size compared to a hoof pic, foal would be 3 months along...does this look normal size to you? I figured it would be larger by now..sire is 32" and dam is 32.5"

00Angelfoal1.jpg

This was not Dreams first foal...she had a foal early this year too that the breeders lost just prior to weaning
default_no.gif

I cant answer your question

but just wanted to say so sorry for the loss of your little one and all the hopes you had for him and Glad your mare is ok

default_no.gif
Sorry to hear. Hugs to you. I am glad your mare is ok.

Leanna so sorry for your loss. Often when a mare is on meds for issues like she has, maintaining a pregnancy can be very difficult. Did the breeders say why the foal died that they had?

Lyn

So sorry Leeana.
default_no.gif
Hope your mare is doing well. *Hugs*

Really sorry about Narko's first foal, and I know you were really looking forward to showing Dreams upcoming foal
default_sad.png
. Really sorry for your lose
default_no.gif
. Good wishes to your beautiful mare.

AWWW,, Leeana, I'm so sorry to hear this.

Here are the dam and sire.

Lyn, only med she was on was ThyroL powder for her thyroid. She was on no meds for her PLE...just a very strict diet. Her 08' colt had a very severe colic and passed just before weaning this year. So disapointed...wanted so badly to show dream in the broodmare class at Nationals next year but i guess that will be put on hold. Just was so excited about this cross...

Little Kings Crimson Dream "Dream" ...my Supreme Dream Daughter (you can see why she is so special to me) She is a very very sweet mare
default_wub.png

BB6.jpg

103x4.jpg

D11.jpg

Then sire,

Westwind BTU Crown Prince Narko "Narko"..double bred BTU colt..this was his first year covering mares

MyNarkoEdit.jpg

Leeana,

So sorry for your loss. They are both such beautiful horses they'll make that special beautiful baby next year. Just hang in there. Here if you need to talk.

So very sorry for your loss.. the mare is beautiful l always felt if a loss is going to happen it is better early on rather then later though regardless it hurts the same..

Awwww. So sorry Leanna.

Couldn't the condition/attack have caused this? Sounds like a high risk pregnancy.

I am so sorry Leanna...its never easy to lose a foal, esp. when its one you were so anxious for.
default_no.gif

I am glad the mare is OK and hopefully the next time you will get a nice full term FILLY.

Aww... Leanna I am so very sorry for loss... Thank goodness your mare is ok though... I think we were all looking forward to this lil boy... Somethings just can't be explain

default_sad.png
I am sooo sorry to hear this. I know how it is loosing a foal that you knew was going to be a keeper. Glad Dream is doing ok though.

Alisha

Latest posts

Back