Draft type miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo mhuirnín

Reaction score
As there are classes at Natioanls for draft types I assume there are breeders of this type?

Well I'll assume you are talking about what I call stock type, if you are talking about something heavier I'm lost. I think they have a class called draft driving or draft team or something like that. I personally have a couple of stock types, one is a stallion that I cross with my refined "B" mares and get a nice driving type everytime with great hips and shoulders, but alas I'm not breeding any more because of the bad market and influx. I also have a little mare that looks like a pot bellied pig, yes really, but she has produced an AMHA Champion when crossed with my refined stallion. She has been shown, but not at Nationals, as she is more prefered at AMHA. I don't see why you couldn't show in the performance classes, such as showmanship, driving, etc. if qualified.

At Nationals for the first time this year they are offering draft halter classes. You have to have the type for it and you must have them braided and have the traditional draft show halter. You also have to show them in a draft driving class. I'm so excited about this it will be interesting for sure. I'll be showing this guy in it, I consider him to be more stockier then my actual stock type mini.

549291_3106858558448_1639237142_n.jpg

I don't think a lot of people will start breeding for this type, I'm sure some will especially if they are really involved in the draft division and if they make this a rated class. As of right now the draft halter classes aren't rated but the draft driving is a Hall of Fame division.

Just for comparison I consider this guy to be my stock type mini. Light enough to still be able to show in the regular halter classes but not near as refined as what you see win in halter classes at Nationals.

268504_1854361446803_453918_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JMS Is the draft driving single or team? What does a draft show halter look like (western like in showmanship?)

Can be either. I'm putting my guy in team as I think he will do better cause in the single they don't ask them to work, he doesn't have an exact match for a team mate but still think its the best decision. No it's kind of like an open bridle only no bit and it must be white. I'm having one made as I have no clue if anyone makes these halters for minis. I know Ozark sells something similar to this but it has to be white and their's is black.

60-2105.jpg

No arabian style show halters.

Thanks for the info and pictures, very interesting. Yes in the first picture that horse has a huge chest, and the second one is stocky like my one of my guys.

O.K - I have to get in on this. My husband shows draft (this is his 2nd year to show). They have had draft classes for many years, but this is the first year for a halter class for the drafts. They have single, double, tandem (one in front of the other), four hitch, and 6 hitch classes. Some local shows even offer unicorn draft (3 horses). You can go to the rule book and get all the details, but basically, it has to do with wearing a full harness, hames, and collar, and the type of cart (single), or wagon. Let's see if I can attach pics.
default_laugh.png

wagon.jpg

Here he is driving his team.

pics 077.jpg

I just love this pic from the wagon.

And here (if it attaches) is his single cart that he will be driving at Nationals:

100_2284.JPG

Yes, they are to have mane and tail braided (he doesn't in these pics, but does when he shows). Ben is quite "stocky" and measures right at 36.5 - 37". Most of the drafts are class B's (don't have to be), because of the equipment and the type of wagon they have to pull. JMS, I did find somewhere to order a white mini draft halter. I think it's o.k. to post this (?): http://www.mydrafthorse.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=155

And, yes, they do have to show in a draft driving class to enter in the draft halter class. I'm glad of that or I think we'd have a flood of entries of people who would enter a stockier mini that doesn't compete well in the regular halter classes. (Not putting them down, I have a few like that too).
default_yes.gif

I saw that when disneyhorse posted the link but I wasn't sure if they would allow it since it's a arabian style halter but I looked again and it says no cable halters. Oh well, I already have someone making me one but I will pass this on. Here's the class description in case anyone wants to know for the draft halter class. It's suppose to be in the premium but didn't get in there.

Entries in the Draft Halter class must also be entered in a draft driving class, single or multiple.

Mane and tail must be braided.

Feet should be clean and trimmed and if shod, properly fitted.

Mini drafts should be more stout and large bone type. Deep chest and strong shoulders. Good feet and straight legs.

Halter should be white or silver; no cable halters

Horses shown at the walk and trot, the same as other halter classes.

Hey again.
default_saludando.gif
JMS, I'm not sure what you mean by "Arabian style" halter, but the one I ordered from that site is an exact replica of what they use on standard draft horses, only in mini size. I called Cathy at AMHR just to make sure, and she said that's fine. Whew!
default_yes.gif
I guess this year will be a learning experience for all of us in this class.
default_biggrin.png
Also, wanted to mention to you....you're right - singles are not supposed to be worked. But every show we've done, including Nationals last year, they worked the single hitch. That is to say - figure 8, swing both ways, and back. Just a little bragging here, but last show....Ben did outstanding in that!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
He recieved (3) 2nds in single hitch, and then 2 Reserves and a 3rd in stakes class against all double hitches!! Really looking forward to Nationals. Hope he does well.

Wow, I hadn't seen this! How exciting! My guy filled out and now is very stocky- I think he'd do marvelous in a draft class! And I HAVE a draft harness and Meadowbrook...

*sigh* Too bad I decided against doing Nationals this year. It would have been fun.

I'm talking about this one, it only listed mini size for this halter.

613.jpg

When I was looking at draft pics I saw they were normally in the one I pictured last time, haven't seen one in this but I imagine the minis would look better in this one since its resembles a show halter they are normally shown in. I was going to do the single but when it says in the rulebook they weren't worked and also I didn't have a cart with wooden wheels and it said also that prefer in single to have wooden wheels I went with the team class. Maybe next year I'll know more about it, this was all kind of last minute and I'm just borrowing stuff this year.

Well, JMS, I wish you the best of luck! (Well, maybe not TOO much luck
default_whistling.gif
) Maybe we can get together at Nationals and chat! See you then!

I'm talking about this one, it only listed mini size for this halter.

613.jpg

When I was looking at draft pics I saw they were normally in the one I pictured last time, haven't seen one in this but I imagine the minis would look better in this one since its resembles a show halter they are normally shown in. I was going to do the single but when it says in the rulebook they weren't worked and also I didn't have a cart with wooden wheels and it said also that prefer in single to have wooden wheels I went with the team class. Maybe next year I'll know more about it, this was all kind of last minute and I'm just borrowing stuff this year.
Isn't that considered a "mare" halter, though? I remember reading eons ago somewhere stallions/geldings had to have a full headstall. But that was drafts, I could be wrong on Minis.

Yep, that's a mare halter. But I can't imagine the judges are going to be that picky.

See learn something new lol. Another thing I was wondering is it says that manes and tails have to be braided but I read that the mare's tails are traditionally braided but not the manes so I was curious if it would be that way for the minis but perhaps not.

Good luck to you too bullock. It's going to be fun.

Hello -

Here in Ohio, there are a couple county's with open miniature horse shows that offer "draft stlye halter and driving" classes. They are VERY neat. The horses show in a draft halter (like the first white one posted), with feathers and are braided. My best friend does very well in this class and I have helped her in handing horses in this class and it is a LOT of fun. Here are some photos (posted with her permission). We've been doing this in Ohio for YEARS. Note the 100% Natural Feather..the classes are usually packed, there is a show coming up and I would be happy to take video of the class. I'm sure they would do it differently at Nationals. Most folks show in the "halter bridle" like pictured below. Usually a weanling size draft horse show halter will work for minis (that is what these are). These horses actually look like small draft horses, they are not just "heavier boned" show horses..they are STOCKY. The horses below are 30" tall and body clipped with feathers left on. When they are shown, you don't really stretch out the neck extreme, just ears forward pleasant expression. They walk/trot into the ring as you would in a usual halter class. They stand square or very very little out, you don't want them stretched.

Let me tell you - these "Draft Mini" style people are SERIOUS ...

307137_293506504017564_1408986995_n.jpg

389184_419358114765735_1076557251_n.jpg

550372_419357494765797_1221686444_n.jpg

These guys in Draft Harness Team Hitch..

577614_420687911299422_1900714247_n.jpg

Leeana--I love that second picture (the first one doesn't show up for me)--that little guy really does look like a little draft horse!

Very cool thanks for sharing. I like the 2nd pic too. I was thinking about ordering a weanling halter but was afraid they would still be too big.

Back