Double K Clippers...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margo_C-T

Reaction score
When I trim feet, I clip bridlepaths. One of my mares was being a brat; I ended up 'running' out to the end of the cable with clippers in hand, gave the cable a jerk--next thing I knew, I still heard the sound of the motor, but the blades had quit moving!! URG!

Does anyone know--is Tony Fowler of ProCut in KS still working on clippers? Anyone else you know of that's good?(I know about Ft. Worth Shaver, but don't have their address--and they will be MONDO busy until after World, of course! )I am pretty sure I'm looking at sending the whole 'shootin' match' (as my late husband would have said!)off for repair; am just seeking input on who does it, their contact info, and if you've done business with them, how satisfied you were?!! All replies appreciated!

Thanks,

Margo

Margo,

The hand piece unplugs from the cable. Are you sure you didn't just pull the cable out of the hand piece. The end of the cable has a spline that fits into a groove inside the end of the handpiece. Just line it up and push it back in.

As far as I know, Tony at Pro-Cut is still servicing Double K's. He had a booth at Nationals, and was continuously working while there.

Al-

That's the first thing I thought, too, but there is no evidence that anything is 'pulled out' at EITHER end of the cable--I checked closely, and can't find anything like that...do I dare 'unscrew' and take anything apart? ( If I were "guessing", I'd guess that something has been 'disconnected'(pulled loose?) INSIDE the motor housing...???)

Thanks,

Margo

The cable is the same at both ends. A spline into a slotted shaft. When you take the hand piece off, is the cable turning? If not it may be pulled out at the moter end.

If you're mechanical and so inclined, remove the cable. Two set screws on the motor housing hold it to the motor end. That done check to see if the cable has broken inside the housing. If it has you will have to replace the cable.

If not check to make sure the spline on both ends of the cable is not broken. Replace the cable by making sure the motor end spline is inserted properly into the slot and reinsert the 2 screws.

If the cable turns with the motor make sure the spline is properly inserted into the slot in the handpiece.

If none of this helps, then you may have to send it in.

Good luck. I have rebuilt mine many times and they are really very simple and durable.
default_smile.png

I have sent mine in for routine cleanings to Fort Worth Shaver, not sure if they work on them tho? I have had very good luck with my double k's (knock on wood) :bgrin

Ft Worth Shaver is literally a mile away from where I work- we LOVE them! We broke our cable and got a new one, couldn't figure out how to put it back and and they did it right there for us. Nice people. Fast, too....

Lucy

Yes to Ft Worth Shaver, they have worked on mine many times including replacing a couple of cables. I have also sent them to Double K in CA once - they were not speedy but were great to work with. I've probably posted this before - she diagnosed the problem with my clippers by listening to them over the phone!

Ft Worth Shaver is 1900 Montgomery St, Ft Worth Tx 76107. 800-816-2126

Jan

Thanks, everyone, for your responses and help!

Al, I am reasonably 'mechanically inclined', for an old gal--I checked out the clipper end of the cable, and sure enough, it was OK, so I suspect the problem is in the motor end. It's late and I am weary, so will try your suggestions tomorrow...and keep my fingers crossed!!

Appreciate the address for Ft. Worth Shaver--if I can't 'fix' this, it'll go to either them or Tony Fowler, I imagine!

Margo

I work with Crescendo Acres, they are now a dealer and he has fixed serveral so far. He is in NH though, not sure if you want to send them that far. You can find them here on the forum under Diana.

Karen

When I trim feet, I clip bridlepaths. One of my mares was being a brat; I ended up 'running' out to the end of the cable with clippers in hand, gave the cable a jerk--next thing I knew, I still heard the sound of the motor, but the blades had quit moving!! URG!

Does anyone know--is Tony Fowler of ProCut in KS still working on clippers? Anyone else you know of that's good?(I know about Ft. Worth Shaver, but don't have their address--and they will be MONDO busy until after World, of course! )I am pretty sure I'm looking at sending the whole 'shootin' match' (as my late husband would have said!)off for repair; am just seeking input on who does it, their contact info, and if you've done business with them, how satisfied you were?!! All replies appreciated!

Thanks,

Margo

My husband -- Norm Dill does clipper repair also -- New York He is very reasonable and will not put parts in you don't need... Sounds like you may have bent the part that holds the blade that makes it it move back and forth. He just repaired one like that and it came to $6.95 cent.... If you want you can just pull the head peice off and get that repaired. Does not sound like you have to send the whole unit out unless you want it completely reconditioned... Lea Dill 315 986 3026

Last edited by a moderator:
We are a Double K dealer and authorized repair center. Would be glad to take and look and see what needs to be done. Very reasonable rates. Crescendo Acres We also do clipper blade sharpending and sell new and used clipper blades. Check out our website.

UPDATE! With thanks again for all of the info--and a BIG tip of my cap to Al B--I got them fixed, myself! Followed your instructions, Al--sure enough, with a Phillips screwdriver, needlenose pliers, and a new dab of clipper grease--got em back together and running like a top again!!

Al, next time I see you, I'll buy you a soda pop!!
default_wink.png
: :aktion033: :bgrin

Margo

Latest posts

Back