Double K Clipper HELP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplethorsefarm

Reaction score
OK... I recently purchased a used double K wall mount. It also came with three size ten blades. I cleaned the blades as they were packed with dirt and hair and than was able to do 6 bridle paths untilt hey stopped working. Even after cleaning them they won't cut. I assume they are dull so I bought two new size 10 blades. I was able to do 4 complete body clips until they stopped working. After each use I cleaned them with Oyster brand blade cleaner and I also use the kool lube while I am clipping. I have taken the two new blades apart and cleaned them and they still won't cut. I am lost as to what to do. Shouldn't brand new blades last longer than four body clips? Do you think it is the clipper itself that needs to be repaired? If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please send them my way. Also if you know of anyone close to SW Missouri that repairs clippers and sharpens blades please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Were the horses you are clipping very clean, or were they dirty?

Sometimes a blade will only do about four horses, especially if there is any dirt on them.

Andrea

Were the horses you are clipping very clean, or were they dirty?
Sometimes a blade will only do about four horses, especially if there is any dirt on them.

Andrea

Three of the horses were bathed prior, one was not
default_no.gif
. I alternated between each blade so it was really only two body clips per blade.

I think alot depends on the horses themselves had they been clipped prior? Meaning is this their first clip of the year? If cutting thru a big heavy winter coat(and one of them not bathed first) I would think that yes it could be normal to get 4 full clips out of them.

If you can find a dog groomer in your area they should be able to direct you to someone who can sharpen blades and repair clippers

I do have to admit I do not usually bathe my horses prior to the first clip of the year so I use my large clippers

Last edited by a moderator:
Where the clippers new when you purchased them? Or used? There is a lever inside that will make the blades seem dull. I have to replace those clippers twice a year. When I clip before I wash the horses it seems that the lever gets damaged quicker.

Replace the lever and felts inside the plate on the hand held part of the clipper.

That should be replaced after doing 10-15full body clips. If it was never done... it will do what you are describing.

The parts are available at most mini tack places and in catalogs ... very inexpensive to fix. I usually order several at a time so I have them on hand.

New blades need to be dipped and cleaned when opened, something with the factory sealant on them or something of the sort. I have also been told that the cooling sprays cause blades to dull quickly. You can use a refridgerated or freezer cooled ceramic tile or steel plate to cool blades quickly. Just place the hot blades on it to cool them.

Last but not least a dirty horse is murder on hot blades, it doesn't seem to bother the clipper blades as much with my speed feeds, but they stay cool while clipping.

I think it is a combination of the dirt and the heat with my double Ks , but a squeaky clean horse will extend the life of any blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
We sharpen and repair. The biggest thing we see is that people don't actually LUBE the blades. The spray lube doesn't do what it needs to do. You should use a drop of oil on the blades every time you clean them off. Keep them clean too. If you took the blades apart, you need to adjust all the tensions again when you reassemble them. There's a lot more involved with sharpening and keeping blades running good than most people think.

The Double Ks should have thier cable lubed once a year too. Do a search on the web for Double K maintenance.

All good advice and I think you are pretty lucky to get that many body clips out of those blades! I don't.

Same thing here and I do all the above include changing the levers. Just about a $2.00 piece.

I stopped using the spray clipper "coolant" spray three years ago and went to the "air in a can" used for dusting computers AND oil on the blades.

When I start using a set of blades I add a drop of oil at the contact points of each side of the blades ( 4 spots, two on each side). I then clip and stop frequently stopping to spray the hair away from the blades and clippers themselves.

About every third time I remove the blades and get right into the working area of the clippers with the tiny tube, spraying any accumulated hair out. I also do this when I finish clipping, leaving no hair on/in the blades or clippers themselves. I store blades I have used in a small black case with Clippercide so they stay clean and rust free.

I have blades that are now three years old and still going strong!

My blade sharpening guy says he loves my blades as they are the cleanest and easiest to do!

This and changing the levers and felts regularly works well for me.

Latest posts

Back