Clippers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi,

My pop gave me 2 sets of his old clippers. One is a Remington and one is WAHL. They are human clippers not horse ones. But my pop was just going to throw them out, they work fine just he upgraded. So I am going to use the WAHL one mostly, mainly just to clip the halter tracks. I have a good set of WAHL horse clippers I have had for a few years, but we just got the blades replaced and wow... they are a bit pricey for 2 bits of metal.

So to my question. I don't think my pop really cleaned them out at all. He just kept oiling them. But when I clean MY clippers I sit down and take it to pieces and get every bit of hair out of it I disinfect them and oil them, then put them back in its box after every use (sometimes I dont oil every time as it is not recommended). And I took the blades off pops and it was filled with old hair and oil, then there is a little sponge bit under the blades, it was just un usable, it just kept breaking into little sponge pieces and it was a mess. I ended up cleaning them up and now I dont have that spongey bit for it. Which leads to my question.

Do I need that spongey bit? (If you dont know what I mean I will post photos at the end) Is there an alternative thing I can use for it? Can I use without? Im pretty sure it is to catch all the hair and stop it from going into the motor. Would felt work? Or can I buy a replacement?

Here is the top of my pops clippers:

Here is the top of my Clippers:

Here is pops clippers with no spongey bit:

And mine with the spongey bit:

So if anyone is familiar with WAHL or clippers, can you help me out? They would be a handy pair of clippers to do little jobs.

Its a filter to stop dust and dirt getting into the blades and rotator. It will make them work less effectively and they won't last anywhere near as long. I have a nicky clarke set of blades similar to them and they were new and they clipped my geldings sheath fluff once then died. Theyre really no use for horse hair lol

Oh really lol. So my pops ones aren't really suitable for horses anyway?

My horse ones work pretty good thankfully.

If he was just going to throw them out, then I wouldn't worry about the sponge thing. Use them til they die, as long as the blades are sharp to start, they'll work for awhile to trim up a halter path and just light clean up. [Don't use them to clip off thick winter hair.] For those clippers, replacement blades and parts will probably cost about as much as the clippers; so just use them til you kill them or completely dull the blades.

Thanks Chanda. I wouldn't know if the blades are sharp on pops ones haha. They are getting old. I just did all halter tracks just then using my good clippers. Then I got the replies, silly me, should have waited.

Yeah we were pretty shocked to see the price, my clippers were literally dead blunt when I was finished with them. And i was half way through clipping, so it was kind of a need haha.

If you can find a place to do it, blades can be sharpened. Last time I had it done they were like $5 a blade. Check with places that sharpen scissors, ask a hairstylist where they get their scissors sharpened.

I went to the place we bought the clippers and they sharpen them, but they charge $35 a blade.
Holy Moly!! So what do new blades cost over there? I've paid up to $8 to have a set of blades cleaned and sharpened. Since I haven't been clipping the last couple of years, I haven't bought new blades. Plan on getting some this year, though, and will be watching as a couple of catalogs will have BOGO sales that really are worth it.

I agree with Chanda - use the old set on clean up jobs until they die. I've sometimes purchased cheaper, human clippers for a handful of jobs BECAUSE they were cheaper than a couple new sets of blades for my horse ones. But in the end, it's better to have the horse ones - they work for the job intended. Also, usually the horse ones you can easily unclip the blades and get the new blades and human ones, especially the OTC less expensive sets, are only meant to be used until the blades go dull. They aren't replaceable. At least, none of the ones I bought were.

Just checked out the prices for the clipper blades that I've purchased in the past. They range from $23 to $30 on the one site that I order from. There is also a set that is significantly more $$ with the clipper brand name that I have two sets of clippers of (Laube) but I don't know if those are meant for the older models that I have or newer ones. I've always used the A5 sets Osters & Laube's or Wahl blades on my Wahl's. I tried to do "generic" blades once - they didn't quite fit my clippers correctly (any of them) and created damage to the handsets/motor that I had to have repaired...

New blades I think we paid $40 for them? I cant remember exactly but I know it cost a little more than sharpening them. My clippers in general were only $90.

I also have the Remington ones, they look a little beat up haha. Ill still use them as well till they die.
default_smile.png

I like those types of clippers, with really good, (read new) blades for ears because they are small and quieter. Also use them for muzzle wiskers at show time. Not much use anyplace else except quickie touchups.

The set of Wahl your father gave you and yours are basically the same, they use the same blades, they are the same trimmer. These are not "clippers" per se, they are meant for small animal trimming or trimming the chins and bridle paths, possibly heels etc. of horses. I have SO many sets now! I bought the Avalon Clippers by Wahl and the difference in ability is amazing. For a start they take "proper" blades and you can have them sharpened any number of times at around $10 AUS each. You need to go on the internet and look for postal sharpening services, then look at the reviews of the services so you will get an idea of what you will be getting for your money. If you look carefully you should be able to find a place that will include return postage and insurance The small Wahl trimmer blades will only take sharpening a few times. To buy new at the moment this trimmer will cost you around $58AUS so if you got it for the price you say you got a really good deal! If I were you I would look on e-bay for the blades- you can also buy stones for sharpening yourself, but I do not know how good you are at that sort of thing- I am hopeless and could never get mine to work!

Latest posts

Back