Double K Clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv-My-Minis

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a fairly new member to this board. Since I have found you, I check in every day, sometimes a couple of times a day to read what's going on. Needless to say I now have become ADDICTED!! You guys are great!! So much helpful info shared by everyone!!

I have some questions about the Double K Clippers. I've been shopping around looking at all the different options available for these. Now I'm confused.
default_wacko.png
:

Some come with a 1/8th hp motor and other ones have a 1/12 hp motor. Which one is better? Any real difference? How about single speed vs variable speed?

What length of cable do you prefer? 10 ft, 15ft, 20ft?

Says that you can clip horse while wet? Don't the blades rust? What brand of blade is good? What size do you prefer for body clipping? Size for clipping legs and head? How long does a body clip last before you need to clip again? (Have alot of local shows this year- starting in April through August)

What about the hoof sander attachment? Is it worth the extra money? My horses are pintos and have white striped hooves. Usually use sandpaper to get all the nasty stuff off, but it takes forever. Then put a coat of clear hoof polish on to keep them clean. Sometimes if you sand to hard, it leaves a red area on the hoof, looks like a bruise. I try to do it as lightly as possible but still seems to happen. It doesn't go away until it grows out. How can you prevent this from happening?

Any recommendations as to someone to purchase these from?

Thanks,

Linda
default_smile.png

Go for the bigger motor. After all, would you want an 1/8 piece of pie or a 12th?

I have a 10 foot cord, and it's fine. The longer the cord, the more power drop, although it's slight. You need to judge by how far your outlet is from where you clip.

I don't think I would clip a wet horse. It's so much easier dry. I store my blade in clipper oil, so rusting isn't an issue.

They are great clippers!

Ok, I'll have a go at some of this.

Really don't know anything about the motor but in big tools more power usually equates to longer lasting motor.

I have the variable speed and love it! Sure most of the time I use a medium speed but for certain jobs it's nice to have the feature. Like clipping those long heavy coats I sometimes turn it up faster when using the wide blade. I have the shorter cable because mine is the portable one that you can "wear" ( I usually hang it from the belt on a bar across the top of my wash rack). I wanted one that I could carry around so I'd have the option of taking it to shows. I think most people that get the one that mounts on the wall will say get a long cable.

The blades don't rust because you have to clean them and oil them before you put them away! I currently have Master Groomer blades and just got the ceramic ones in hopes they will stay sharper longer.

For body clipping you have to form you own opinion. Some like #15 and up. I use #10 for body and legs and #30 & 50 for head and face and my "pocket pro" (small battery wahl) is about #40 for the ears.

The length of time for a clip again depends on what you like to see and how fast your horse's hair grows. I like to clip about a week ahead of a show so that there are no sharp clip lines showing. Just guessing but after about 2 weeks they look nice to me but for any large show they'd probably be too fuzzy.

As you already seem to know you have to be careful sanding. I only have to do 2 horses so I've not yet invested in any power attachments for the feet. I do it all by hand.

Good luck with your shows and have fun!

I have a variable speed(a plus)Double K, model 501(not offered anymore; has the more powerful motor, I believe)-12' cord(about right). Mine is NOT the 'belt mount' that you can wear; that thing is too HEAVY to want to 'wear' it around your waist, IMO--though you CAN hang it somewhere, too. Think the 'belt mount' is a bit cheaper, but not sure? Love the Dbl. Ks--they are tough, strong...drawback is that they are a bit unwieldy when working in really tight places, like under a mini's fetlock, due to the cable.

I don't believe ANY clipper is really 'up to' clipping a wet horse--and even if it did, I can't see being able to do a very good job. Doing a good clipping job depends on the horse being clean AND dry, and cooperative(!), having good sharp blades and understanding proper clipping technique-And a clipper in good working order! Blades need to be 'brushed out', and alternated(the clipper head won't get hot-one of the pluses of the Dbl. K's is that the motor is separate from the clipper head--but, the blades WILL get hot. I brush them out, being sure to brush AWAY from the innards of the clipper head, then dip in blade wash, shake off(don't let blade wash OR lubricant run down INTO the clipper head), remove, put on another set, always lubricate lightly before starting and occasionally during use. Also, clean and lube the blades before storing(in my dry climate, that's all that's necessary; in a damp climate, they might need to be stored IN a lubricant?) I usually alternate 3 sets of blades while clipping.

For body clips-I recommend a # 10 if showing, otherwise, I've # 8 1/2-- #30, 40, or even 50, carefully, on portions of the head if clipping for show. I've used mostly Oster blades, but there are several good brands-haven't tried the ceramics yet...do know that good 'standard' blades last best when used as above-and that NOTHING will dull them faster than clipping a dirty horse, or for too long w/o cleaning them/changing them out(letting them get too hot...)

How long a body clip 'lasts' depends...you just have to see how it goes with a particular horse.

Margo

We have 2. We have both the 401 and 501. Mine is currently out of working order but the other runsgreat.

I have had mine for about 7 years now, the other is probably 9-10 years old. I have the longest cord possible on mine and prefer it that way. That way I can move around better and when I have fisty babies or yearlings it is less likely for them to get there legs tangled up in the cord.

I wouldn't say that we clip our horses "wet" but just barely damp. We know several people that do this with their show horses, it works absolutely terrific! But you will find with every situation, everyone has their own preferences. At least make sure your horse is clean. Makes for an easier clip and is easier on the blades.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my Double K's for nearly 10 years, and aside from a couple of tune-ups they have been indispensible. They hold up to a pretty good workload. I like the longer cord, seems like the 10' just isn't quite long enough to reach around. I have clipped wet, dry and in between lol. If you are clipping off a winter coat the clippers will bog down with wet hair, but I kind of like clipping just damp. The hair doesn't blow around as much, and assuming your horse is clean the blades stay cool a bit longer. As said though, it always depends on the particular horse and haircoat you are clipping. Can't answer your sander question - I don't have one but I've borrowed the sander a time or two, and it does a nice job of smoothing. I'm always a little hesitant about taking off hoof wall...but I think it's the only way to get an absolutely smooth & glossy hoof.

Jan

Latest posts

Back