Dogs and Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
Today Loren and I took Rocky out for a drive. He was a little spitfire, as usual. He really just cuts loose and trots out like a mad man! (Sorry, no pictures)

Anyway, another neighbor had a loose dog. The dog is a big cattle dog mix. The dog came running out, hackles up and barking his head off. Rocky, being only 34 inches tall, found this disturbing. I also had to turn around right where the dog was. I live on a dead end road. Rocky would not turn and was thinking about rearing in the shafts. I started yelling at the dog to "Go Home! Go Home!" The dog stopped, but continued to bark. I got Rocky under control and turned around. Rocky wanted to run home, but I kept him kind of slow. I didn't want the dog to have an excuse to chase us. We got home alright, but this is not the first time dogs have made my minis come unglued in harness. So I was thinking I should carry a paint ball gun or a pellet gun for dog emergencies. What do you think?
default_please.gif

We have a lot of dogs here. We also have stuff that blows in the wind. Before I do any driving I walk my horses. When a dog runs out I handle the dog firmly but do not get upset because my horses get their attitudes about these obsticles from me. In taking my new mare out on Saturday we had a couple of dogs come out barking and hackles up. We stop so the dog has no reason to chase. I ask my horse what that is. Of course she is looking intently at the dog. She figured out it was nothing to get upset at and after the owner came out and got the dogs we continued on. If a dog comes out that doesn't have an owner in view I will hit my whip at the dog and tell it to "GO HOME". Because of this ground training I give my horses before they are harness trained they do not have a dog issue.

I hand walk my horses along the path I drive frequently. I take a long whip. When dogs run out while I am leading the horses if they get too close I whack them. Then I ground drive my minis along the same path and do the same thing. This trains the horse that I will protect them from dogs and trains the dogs that getting too close to the horse will get them smacked. By the time I get them into the cart they are doing pretty well. The dogs still cause troubles but the horse doesn't freak out as bad. And because the horse is already used to me slinging that whip at the dogs while it is in harness that doesn't freak it out either.

No matter what you do, make sure your horse is used to it before you try it while out driving.

(a friend of mine carries a long handled cattle prod. It works really well.)

since we are so far out in the boonies, this is never a problem. but, when i take red out, i carry a small bottle of ammonia water. it's one of those you can adjust the nozzle on to get either a spray or a strong stream. i've never had to use it while out driving but if the occasion ever arises, i will. it will spray about 10 feet. ammonia water will turn make a bad dog head for home in a new york minute.

I hand walk my horses along the path I drive frequently. I take a long whip. When dogs run out while I am leading the horses if they get too close I whack them. Then I ground drive my minis along the same path and do the same thing. This trains the horse that I will protect them from dogs and trains the dogs that getting too close to the horse will get them smacked. By the time I get them into the cart they are doing pretty well. The dogs still cause troubles but the horse doesn't freak out as bad. And because the horse is already used to me slinging that whip at the dogs while it is in harness that doesn't freak it out either.
No matter what you do, make sure your horse is used to it before you try it while out driving.

(a friend of mine carries a long handled cattle prod. It works really well.)

Ditto. I use a whip for the dogs. BTW, after doing this several times, my neighbor who has the loose dog finally decided to chain him when he was away. So at least SOMEONE got the message. Loose dogs charging a horse are not only a problem for horses but for children and adults who choose to walk along the roads. If the owner is at home and in control of their dog, they usually are not a problem.

Good question. I exercise, and sometimes drive, my horses down our private road. There are only a few houses back there and of course one has a few good sized dogs that come out. You have a different problem when there are multiple dogs - as Tony or anyone who has had dog attacks can testify. One dog can usually be intimidated but if you get a pack mentality it's best to talk to the owners or find a new place to drive.
default_wacko.png
The ammonia water is a good idea if you have a good sprayer, you could conceivably squirt a few dogs with it.

Jan

I just need to interject a point here, I live out in the country, my dogs are loose in the yard as they are supposed to protect my property and my animals. If you ride/drive on the road and my dogs come out to the edge of the property barking, that is what they are supposed to do. I have had foals stolen, I have had people come into the garden and take vegetables. If you are beating my dogs for doing what they are supposed to or spraying them with ammonia you will have one peeved off property owner on your case!

This is one reason why I don't even bother to drive. I do live on a private road. I live on a corner actually and the side road is private and would be a wonderful place to drive a horse, but even when the boys would ride their bikes or 4 wheelers these tons of dogs would get out and chase them down. Finally I armed them with those really big water guns, super soaker guns, and boy those things worked pretty dang good. But isn't it just so not fair? I don't think I'd be agile enough to have to carry a prop like that and have to be able to still keep two hands on the reins.

I just need to interject a point here, I live out in the country, my dogs are loose in the yard as they are supposed to protect my property and my animals. If you ride/drive on the road and my dogs come out to the edge of the property barking, that is what they are supposed to do. I have had foals stolen, I have had people come into the garden and take vegetables. If you are beating my dogs for doing what they are supposed to or spraying them with ammonia you will have one peeved off property owner on your case!
If they are coming out to the EDGE of the property they are doing their job properly. If they run out into the road and bite my horse on the face (which has happened to me TWICE) they are NOT and I will defend myself. I have as much right to use that road in a legal and safe manner as someone else to has to have their dogs do their job PROPERLY...

There is a MASSIVE difference between running to the edge of the property raising a ruckus and coming out INTO the road after someone passing by. If someone takes a whack at your dog while it is on YOUR property they should have the cops called on them, but if your dog is chasing them down the road trying to take a chunk out of them that is a WHOLE other ball of wax.

I expect my horses to understand and tolerate farm dogs who do their job properly. We have several in our area. Even some that run into the road but are NOT aggressive in any manner once they are in the road. But there are also some who do NOT stay on their owners property and they DO attack things in the road. This is absolutely unacceptable and I will not hesitate to whack a dog that COMES OUT INTO THE ROAD AGGRESSIVELY.

It sounds like your dogs know their job and their boundaries and respect them. If someone went after them THEY would be in the wrong and you would have every right to be upset. BUT what most of us are dealing with is absolutely nothing like what your dogs seem to do.

We live on 20a and my dogs are trained to stay on the property and it is fenced in (we have cattle nx door) and if my dogs were to ever chase down anyones livestock I expect they would be shot on site. I will not allow a dog that is destructive to live here( that includes running out onto the road to bark and terrorize people walking-riding or whatever as I respect others property. We had a neighbor dog that used to make it a habit to get into the pasture with our foals and mares to PLAY? I made it clear to the folks that if he were caught again on the property I would shoot him ( he is kept in a fenced in area now. Just cause you live in the country you still need to be respectfull of your neighbors.

like i said, i carry the bottle. i've had it happen a few times with a boxer that lived down a road i used to ride on. not only would he come to the middle of the road, barking with hackles raised, he would follow me for quite a distance, barking and lunging. first time i squirted him square in the face was the last time he bothered me. i gave him the benefit of the doubt several times but with each successive time, he got closer and meaner. i realize he was protecting whan he perceived to be HIS property but he was far from home when this was happening.

i love dogs as much as the next guy but when it comes to my safety and the safety of my horses, i'm a tigress.

If you can desensitize your horses to it, the sound of an air horn will scare most dogs off. There is also a citronella product alternative for use on dogs instead of pepper spray called "SprayShield." The product sprays up to 10 feet and is intended to deter stray animals.

Be careful! Trying to leave the area quickly is never a good idea, and not all dogs will be scared off by yelling or hitting. In fact, some dogs, especially Pit Bull types, may become more determined if prompted in such a way. Learn to read canine body language and you will be able to determine the seriousness of the encounter. Many dogs may actually be showing signs of fear versus aggression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I drive my horses, I take them on walks through the neighborhood. That way they get use to dogs running up to them and barking (or kids, cars, spooky cows, etc.). It won't spook them later on in the cart. I live in a very rural town where everyone's dogs are loose. I've also been known to take a whip to a dog chasing me. Just calmly drive and if the dog doesn't leave, smack it with the whip. It'll get the idea that they can't be allowed to harass your animal. It may sound rude, but I'd rather the dog get smacked than cause problems with me driving a green horse.
default_yes.gif

But taking them on walks before you drive is the best way to get them use to all the usual noises and such that will come after them when they are driving with blinders. Hope this helps!
default_biggrin.png

If none of this works, talk to the owner of the dog. They may understand and tie their dog up. You can also call the animal control services if the dog is really aggressive. The road is public and dogs should be on leashes outside of their yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
If none of this works, talk to the owner of the dog. T
I usually do this FIRST. If the dog shows aggression when I walk by, with or without the horse, I will usually try to have a friendly talk with the owner, explain my concerns, and see if I can make progress that way.

To date I've never had success with that, but it still seems like it is the right place to start.

Years ago while driving my mini Sundance, I encountered a dog quite often on the stretch of road I drove on. This dog would go back in it's yard if yelled at except for one time. This dog came out and nipped at my stallion's heels, so I took my driving whip and gave it a whack. The dog yelped and ran back to it's yard, and the lady who owned it came out of her house like a streak of lightning and started yelling at me for hitting her dog. This was no small dog--more like border collie size, and it needed to be put in it's place.

I was on a public road--said dog was nipping/chasing--I corrected the dog--was yelled at by dog's owner. I stood my ground stating that they should have kept the dog fenced into their yard--argument ensude--now bad feelings between said owner and I.

Apart from all that, I would do exactly what I did again. I will not have a loose dog biting my horse while I am on a public road--Period. Bad feelings or not from dog owners--they should have kept it restrained if they knew it would run at livestock. Controversial yes, worth an argument with the dog's owner--it all depends on the owner
default_wink.png

stormy--as the others have said, there's a big difference between your dog being on the edge of your property or on your driveway, barking & protecting your property and your dog being on the road harassing someone's horse. Your dog does not have the right to be on the road and snarling, barking or running at a passing horse.

I expect the same thing of my dog(s) as you expect of yours. I do not expect my dog(s) to run out onto the road, but they are allowed to be on the driveway or boulevard. If a dog of mine were to run out onto the road and threaten someone's horse--I would expect that person to get after my dog. For that matter if I saw it happen & my dog ignored my command to come back onto the property, I would tell the horse's rider/driver/handler to take the whip to the dog...or I would walk out there & do it myself. My dogs are supposed to be trained to not leave the property, so I wouldn't actually have to hit them with the whip--a good smack of the whip on the ground would be enough to remind them of their manners--but if the passing horse person did actually connect with their whip I wouldn't blame them in the least.

And if I did feel I needed to apply my whip to someone's dog if it came out onto the road & threatened me or my horse, yes, I would take the whip to the dog. I dare the dog owner to complain. Around here all it takes is a call to animal control, and the dog owner will get an official warning. Dogs are not to be at large on public property, ie: the road.

I just don't get why they can't fence their yards.
default_rolleyes.gif

I will try the squirt bottle.

I will also defend my self and my horse against a dog attack any way I can. So far yelling has worked for the many loose dogs we seem to have around here.

My whip is short, as I don't need a long one to reach my horse, but I could carry a longer one. I think squirting them might be good or maybe try an ultrasonic deterrent of some kind. I don't know if that would have an affect on my horse though.

Latest posts

Back