dog training tips needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormo41

Reaction score
I'm this first to admit that my puppy is crazy hyper and needs more manners, we are working with him and he is getting alot better, he stays outside of the kitchen and dinning room when we eat dinner, goes to his "place" in the family room when we tell him to, does not jump up on people or chairs without being asked but he turns into a crazy barking animal whenver someone comes home, or worse when someone comes over and rings the doorbell.

my puppy will be turning one year old this month, he is a cocker spainal and cute as a button. We take him on walks daily and we take him outside to play daily as well so he is getting lots of exercise.

So lets say me and my parents are watching tv in the family room (downstiars) and my brother comes home from work. Dante will be sleeping in his "place" but as soon as he hears the door knob turn he runs upstairs like a light barking. Now my brother is very lous when he comes in and plays with dante as he comes in the door, In my mind this is encougeing Dante to do this behaviour when ever someone comes in the door. Usaly dante will stop barking as soon as the person is inside in the house, with the exception of one of my brothers friends who is a very tall guy with a low voice. Dante wont stop barking and howling at him.

we have tried keeping dante on a leash and his halti when we know someone is coming over or home from work, but in this case he wont stop barking til he gets to see the person who came in the door, and sometimes will start growling when we wont allow him to bark. We also find it hard to keep him on his leash and halti when he is being so good otherwise.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to change this behaviour. do you think it will stop with age? I love my puppy and i don't want this to turn into agression of any kind, so getting this behaviour under control is very important to me and my family.

All training takes time. Be diligent and continue with his regular training and soon you'll see his improvements. Without writing a book here...I have a little tip that might help dissuade his attention to whoever is coming thru the door or the door bell...etc.... Does he have a favorite "snack" ? My girls love their hollow bones filled with p-nut butter or squeeze cheese. Before this "trigger" happens and gets your little one all riled up, get his mind on training, sit, down, stay and the likes and keeping a leash on him when the doorbell rings take him away from your bro, the doorbell and walk him away...just walk him away and keep the training commands going. Get his attention if you have to with his fav. snack.....when he starts to listen to you, then give it to him. But remember he's a puppy and his attention span is very short...so anything you can get out of him right now is doable.

Have guests come to your home and when they come in, not pay attention to him. This is a big part in getting him over this behavior...you need help from others in your family to help your little boy be successful too. When he's over the initial "getting to know who just came in the door, I'm all excited" phase and calm...then they can pet him. Good luck!

Our dobe's were as dumb as a box of rocks... especially one of them. Mom had shepards when I was growing up. We now have greyhouds we rescued as well as an Am Staf.. (looks like a pit) and a even dumber Sheltie)

I also train the neighbors dogs. Not that she pays me, but because I am so tired of them digging under the fence to get to our doggies.

Get an Air HORN... you use that thing once.. and once they learn it's not good on their ears. After that you just grab the can and show it to them... when they are barking... once is all it took our dobes to learn... twice for the Sheltie.. and the neighbors dogs... twice and they see me with the can.. they are GONE...

Works fast..... not alot of repetition... cheap... etc.. other option is... sever the vocal cords. We had that done to the Dobes.. they grew back.. were as loud as before they were done. Friend who breeds doxies... had one of hers done after she sold it, and she got the dog back.. it still barks.. just not so loud.

Good Luck.. lots of options..

Lots of options, indeed... including some that are kinder to the animals.
default_yes.gif

What about praising him when he announces a newcomer and telling him he is a good smart watchdog? Maybe he just needs someone to acknowledge he is doing a good job!

As for the tall scary guy, maybe he needs to bend down a little. Hand him a treat to offer the dog.

you got some good tips from sterling, I would also set the dog up, have someone ring the doorbell, have the dog on a lead and as Sterling said walk away, then have them ring the doorbell again, open the door, walk in then leave, and again and again. With repetition the dog will understand that if he doesn't carry on he will eventually get to say hello to the person coming in. It isn't a quick cure but if you are persistent and consistent you will succeed and you will still have a happy dog
default_biggrin.png

Yvonne

I do not mind when my dogs bark when someone comes in the drive (I often never hear someone even pull in) or to the door. I do not like that they will continue to bark (if it takes 5 minutes for that person to come to the house) and not quiet when I tell them....my dogs are older and probably too set in their ways for any change in their behavior (12 and 8). My lab happens to bark ALOT. I mean ALOT...he will just look at you sometimes and bark for no apparent reason....it drives me bonkers!

Latest posts

Back