dog training help needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
I was reading on another thread about the"watchme"command.Tried this with my rescue 3 yr old German Shepherd>had treats and he wouldn'tm even look at me for very long,.He has the attention span of a gnat.l am very frustrated with his lack of attention and lack of retention for things I think he has learned.He is very hyper and always looking around at everything.I got him to be a guard dog, but has has flunked that part.lHe is about 3 yrs old and I am his 6th home so maybe he is confused.He is here forever and he loves me so he won't be going back to the shelter.He was born somewhere, went to his next home,was found running as a stray and then adopted by a lady who had him for about 2 yrs,then to another home who turned him in to the shelter, lived there for a few days and got neutered, then adopted by me and moved to a farm with Miniature Horses,sheep, 2 Welsh Corgi house dogs,and lots of coonhounds outside.We have made some progress.He doesn't run out the door everytime it is open and he no longer drags me down the driveway and he is good in the house and his crate at night.I had to resort to a prong collar for walking(never did that in over 50 yrs of having big dogs)but there are days we don't have to use it.I am hoping to get into an obedience class now that my knee surgery(SEPT 17)is going better now Any tips will be greatly appreciated until I can get into a class with him.

Bevann, I'm so glad your knee surgery went well and that you are now recovering. Please know, you are not alone. GSs can be a challenge for the best of us. When I owned Canine Security, we had over 80 at any given time, in training. Firstly, you need to know, that while they are considered a herding breed, they are all 'working' breed. They need a ton of exercise and a job to do. I'm sure you've heard, that a tired dog is a good dog. Maybe not good, but at least not so full of action, unexpended energy and wildness. So make sure that your boy has plenty of exercise. Do you have kids? If so, have them throw a ball or Frisbee or anything else he's interested in. Just pure playtime to get off that excess energy, many GSs have. Next certainly, join an obedience class with lots of other dogs and activity, going on around him. This will teach him to focus on you. Homework during the week is a 'must', All is not lost, it takes time, training and patience. And of course - consistency. You can train a certain guarding instinct into most dogs, but you will find after a lot of training, that your dog becomes a lot more responsible and will suddenly surprise you with his guarding of your home. I never suggest anyone encourages their dog to be aggressive toward strangers, unless that person is thoroughly involved in basic training and then (maybe) goes on to Schutzund training. A few months ago, my daughter, coming home from church, saw a GS running loose along the freeway. She scooped him up and in spite of ads etc., has not found his owner. She is going through much the same as you. A now, very wild and woolly young dog, with energy to spare. He's doing fairly well, but sometimes does drive her crazy. It's all in training, consistency and keeping at it. Don't give up and do let us know how you and he are doing.

Thanks for the tips Lizzie.I am a very experienced Shepherd owner.Got my first 1 in 1958 got my 1st show Shepherd in 1960,started breeding in 1960 and had the same line for 42 years until 2002 when I lost the last of my breeding.This dog(temperament wise) is nothing like my dogs were.They were laid back and calm but protective when needed.Several of the dogs I bred were in law enforcement, but most were family pets with kids.They were well behaved and obedient with minimal training.Duke is much more hyper.He is outside in a large fenced in area most of the day and has several times a day when he has the run of the barn area(totally fenced since I can't yet trust him to come when called.)Never off leash unless in fenced area since I am quite sure he would see a rabbit and be out on the road or in the next county.He had little training when I got him so we have made progress.I always trained my dogs as pups when they were little and easy to drag around.I will keep working with him and hope our kennel club has a class soon.There are lots of classes in my area, but many are dog trainers who got their certification on line.(not for me)I just need lots of patience.Just discovered he has lifted his leg at his special place in the dining room.(only happens every few weeks in the same place.Please give me patience with this lovable dog.This is the same dog who had the doggy flu 2 days after coming from the shelter.He is my money pit.He had to go to the vet and $4000 later my 2 older Corgis were over the flu and out of intensive care and back home.Lots of money and time invested in this shelter dog.I was trying to do a good thing and adopt a shelter dog.He's here until death-lots of time and money invested in him.Any other tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You need attention work..not watch me. Looking into owners eyes for some dogs can be intimidating. I teach watch focus exercises where I teach watch my hand..watch a spot..watch my left leg. Etc. Some dogs consider it rude to be forced to eyeball you. Shepherds love watch focus on your leg. As for attention span..if you have not done attention work with your dog he would naturally lose focus especially if you are asking him to eyeball you. You need food motivation .. lose the motivator means you will lose the behavior you wish to train. My thoughts are that your dog is very smart and he has shut down from mixed signals. Since he is a rescue dog the mixed signals may be coming from his past. I had a rescue doberman once that shut down for heeling..down command made her scream. We changed all the words..heel became hup. Down became lay.. retrained all. It worked! Ever see someone scream the dogs name out as a correction? Trash torn up..handler screams dogs name...dog pulls..owner yells dogs name..poop on floor..owner yells out dogs name. I once suggested a student change the dogs name because it had become a negative. Find a motivating trainer that works with food..not force and make sure they teach attention exercises (not watch me). Attention training is a specific exercise taught in steps. Wish you were near me..I would love to work with you and your dog. I am a obedience instructor. On door safety..this is again a separate taught exercise..motivation and praise. Nothing wrong with using a prong collar initially.. I recommended them for handicapped or injured handler's or elderly handler's with big pulling dogs. Once trained not to pull we graduate to a martingale collar with chain and nylon. Halti head collars have their place but some dogs find them distracting and there is a training curve for handler's learning to use them properly. For the prong..it looks awful..but if you put it on your arm and give it a jolly good yank you will find it really doesn't work by inflicting horrible pain. You can pad it some by cutting a cloth headband or schrunchie in half and run the prongs through the cloth. A choke collar hurts worse than the prong on the arm test. I would never try anything on my dog I hadn't used on myself first. Reminds me of a funny story of shocking myself with an invisible fence collar. Almost wet my pants. Not for my dogs. Anyway... Best wishes. Bless you for opening your heart to a rescuedog. I have a house full of them and know exactly where you are coming from. Rescue is not for feint of heart. Ha. My newest rescue is a bassett somebody dumped on our farm. Somedays hemakes me crazy..but then he looks at me with his big eyes. I have a soft spot for shepherds. I re trained one that was dumped here many years ago. Miss him forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should clarify that for many dogs watch me and looking into the eyes works great..but for some dogs you might want to see if a change of focal points helps.

thanks for the tips.We've got the door thing down pretty well for now.He's told to sit-stay until I say ok then he's in or out of the door.He does pretty well in the house with most commands.Just doesn't do well with stay when outside with many distractions.I haven't used the prong collar for some time since he does pretty well with his rolled leather collar which stays on him at all times since it has his ID(my phone number) in case of being lost.Guess I'll go back to the choke collar for a while.He is also microchipped.There is progress -it's just slower than I anticipated.

Regarding the "watch me", when I posted about it I forgot to say that you should smile at your dog when he looks at you - it should be a loving/welcoming meeting of the eyes not a straight 'glare' (very bad!).

Good luck with Duke - GS's are wonderful dogs, so rewarding! He's lucky to have found you.
default_yes.gif

Choke chains are best used to hang a plant from a hook in your home or porch. Not for training. Ok for breed dogs already trained not for training. Put a choke on your arm and give it a yank. It will pinch the crap out of you. Try the chain nylon combo martingale if you want something other than the prong. Leather collars on pulling dogs bang on the trachea. They have the martingale collars in pet smart. I can give you a link if you r not sure what i am talking about.

Latest posts

Back