Dog Blankets for Newborn Foals...What size works ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Never2Mini

Reaction score
I am wanting to order a blanket to have on hand for my upcoming foals just in case its needed. I have found some nice Dog Blankets on sale cheap. I was wondering if anyone has used Dog Blankets for their newborn foals ? What size works for a newborn foal in a Dog blanket ? Both my expecting mares are small size A gals.
default_smile.png

I haven't used dog blankets but there are some great foal blankets that aren't expensive. I got mine from Ozark Mountain Tack and I think there are some for sale in the Little Horse Auction and Ebarn.

12-14 inches depending on the size of the foal and the padding on the blanket! I have some really good ones, waterproof with a removable lining too.

ETA- remember that you measure a dog blanket form the collar area to the end of the back, not as you measure a horses blanket

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that dog blankets just don't fit right. Mostly around the neck. Foal blankets are a much better choice. They will be much more comfortable.

I found just the opposite, so I guess a lot depends on the foal....

I have a number of different sizes of dog blankets that work great...in some cases better than the 'foal' blankets I've bought. Most of my favorites are a high quality fleece and some double fleece. I like to have plenty on hand to keep baby warm when first drying. In cold weather I may put on 2 fleeces and keep switching out for dry ones for the first few hours till baby is pretty dry.

Do watch how the velcro is put on. You don't want the 'scratchy part' next to baby's skin and many that are made for mini foals have this wrong.

Once the foals are older they can wear a quilted nylon if needed for outside but I really prefer good fleece for the young ones and indoors. In cold weather my older foals may wear a fleece under their quilted nylon ones.

I do prefer a fleece belly band when I can find them but usually they aren't on dog coats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking into making my own batch of fleece foal blankets for when my gal foals - Wondering if someone with a few different sizes could give me a few measurements to use as a baseline? This will be my first mini horse foal ever, so I have NO idea what sizes to start with (I want to make an arrangement of sizes for layering and growth
default_smile.png
) I'm basically looking for width (from side over the back to other side), and length (from tail to withers and tail to chest) to use as guides
default_smile.png
I know the basic shape, just not how big and small to start with LoL

I myself was going to try insulated dog blankets that were on sale but I can't remember which Co. sent the magazine. I also found a site for patterns for foal and horse blankets by just googling it. All this info was on my other computer that crashed and died so I don't have the links anymore. Thankfully my daughter sent me her adorable foal blanket that is very, very adjustable, waterproof, and I have another fleece foal coat to go under it so that I didn't have to try the dog blankets. I was going to order the one with the piece that goes between the front legs and velcro's up the either side. I need to find out where she got this blanket, because I haven't seen one like it before and just love it.

We have (very affordable and totally adorable!) mini foal blankets from Pondlake. They are made of fleece, awasome, fit well, and are just about too cute
default_yes.gif

We have purchased a couple of dog blankets for a mid-sized dog that worked for our foals, but my favorite foal blankets are ones made specifically for mini foals.

Latest posts

Back