Dog attack mini has to be put down

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry for your loss as well as the new owners. It is never easy when you loose something that was special to you as that little filly was...I hope they take care of the dogs as others posted they will come back!

I am so very sorry to read this. God bless the filly and everyone who is crying over this. The laws need to change. When a dog(s) attack a human, the owners are held accountable. They should rbe held accountable for every living entity their dog(s) attack. I just can't imagine seeing this....HUGS

Last edited by a moderator:
oh that is just sick. How heartbreaking. Im very very sorry.
default_no.gif

Thank You All for the support.

Today I was finally able to talk to my dear friend's about the attack. Even with it being two day's after the attack it still wasn't easy to talk about it. I had hoped that I could be strong for Wanda & Larry, but we all had tear's.
crybaby.gif
My LOVE goes out to them. Larry & Wanda LOVE their horse's dearly & gave them everything that they would ever want. The filly will be deeply missed.
bye-sad.gif

This is what I found out.

They do know who the owner of the dog's are, & he offered to pay for the loss of their filly. The dog's have not been put down & are still with their owner (these dog's stay in this guy's house & are put out of chain's) this is what was said. (If they were in the house or on chains they wouldn't have gotten this filly........) They are a pitbull mix.

Larry said that he has a fence around the horse's that dog's can't get into, but apparently they had dug under the gate & gotten in with them.

We did not talk of the horrific condition that our (their) filly had done to her. I don't know if they could or would have wanted to relive that part, & I don't know if I could have handled it. I just know that her jaw was almost completely ripped from her face. The little colt had done all that he could to fight off these dog's & get them off of the filly. He had bite's on his shoulder's & leg's, but the worse was done to the filly. He is doing as good as can be expected after this ordeal. They are watching him close, & he is eating. I do hope that these dog's do not get loose again or the colt could be next.

Thank You all for the support. I know it isn't easy for anyone who loose's an animal.

I hate to suggest, but maybe the colt needs a new friend now to recover from this horrible horrible incident. I can't believe the neighbor still has his dogs, why aren't they in custody? Normally they are put into custody pending investigation.

I am assuming a police report was filed?!!! And yes, those dogs need to be picked up! So what if the dog owners never bother to pay for the filly or decide she was not worth that much..... etc... and just dont bother?!! They need to be fined- I can see one dog accidently getting off a chain, but not BOTH- they were allowed to run loose!

They need to be held responsible and I would NOT buy another horse for the colt that is left as those dogs will be back, I GUARANTEE it!!

Owners who leave dogs on chains should not be allowed to have dogs. Fence them in properly or don't have them at all.

I would definitely contact police, animal control, and my attorney over the loss of this horse.

Can the filly's owners hot wire the outside of the fence? Not that they should have to, but they might want to if those dogs are going to be left unsupervised and allowed to roam and kill.

Furious for you all. (and I am a pit bull owner)
no.gif

I do hope the horses' owners accept the offer to pay for the filly--the dog owners should darn well pay for that poor little horse & some extra besides!

I am disappointed that these dogs are to be kept by the owner. I had a friend who, last year, was out driving her horse & a loose dog attacked her horse as she drove on the road past the owner's house. She got out of her cart & managed to hang onto the horse until the dog's owner got there to catch the dog. Her horse wasn't hurt, just scared (he ended up upside down in the ditch, still hitched to the cart, with my friend hanging on to him) and her harness was wrecked. She had to unhitch and lead the horse home. The dog owner got his truck & hauled her cart home for her. I told her at the time she was much too nice--the owner was all apologetic and claimed the dog wasn't supposed to be loose and he wouldn't be loose again, so she didn't call police to make a report. Now she says she wishes that she had done that--she has driven her horse around home but hasn't driven down the road since. She has learned that the dog that caused the problem is again being allowed to run loose. I would say that chances are good that in this case, too, the dogs will be running loose again soon. Dogs do get off chains by accident sometimes, but not usually two dogs at once--I would say that was no accident, someone figured that it was okay to leave them both loose. I hope that someone (police?) informed the owners what will happen the next time their dogs get loose and attack someone's horses?

I agree that dogs should NOT be chained. Often that makes them even more aggressive.

And no matter WHAT, when a dog draws blood from another animal (including a human) it should be reported to authorities.

Considering the deadly injury done to that little filly, the dog needs to be put down. Period.

The dogs are still alive????? I am simply stunned! A dog involved in an attack like that is a killer and a danger to humans and other animals. Next time it may be a child. Have the police been notified and a complaint filed?

Charlotte

There are no words to make you feel better, this is a such a tragedy. Poor little horse. My Prayers

Latest posts

Back