Dog attack mini has to be put down

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Hooves

Reaction score
OMG I just found out that a filly of mine that I had sold to some of my DEAR FRIENDS last year was attacked by some dog's today and had to be put down due to horrible injuries.
crybaby.gif
They also have a colt of mine that they had bought at the same time. I havent found out all of the details yet, but what I do know is that her jaw was almost completely riped off. No way that it could be repaired good enough that she would be able to eat. The colt had blood on him, but there apparently wasn't any major injuries on him. I was told that the colt had fought the dog's trying to get them off of the filly, my (their) little colt was being a little stallion trying to protect her (his mare). He is only a yearling. I have been crying for the last hour since I found out.
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif

Why oh why can't people keep their dog's on their own property???????
closedeyes.gif
closedeyes.gif

Very sorry to read this l'd be crying and feeling sick to if l found out that happened to someone l sold..

OH my gosh, how can people let this happen. Brave little colt! Ah man this just makes me sick. I hope they throw the book at the owners of the dog(s)!
default_sad.png

I am so sorry--the poor little filly, I feel so bad for her, for her owners & for you. That's a brave little colt they've got--sad for him that he couldn't save his friend, but so remarkable that he tried!

Did they get the dogs (how many were there?) or do they at least know who owns the dogs?

Some dog owners are just too stupid to own a dog--they just haven't a clue, and don't really care about their dogs or about other people's animals. I chewed out someone the other day after their dog came in here & caused a little ruckus. He didn't appreciate being told that if the dog does that again it is a dead dog.

I'm so sorry to hear this. You must be heartsick.
default_sad.png
I hate it when people can't contain their dogs. I hope they catch them.

The dogs usually return, so I hope the owners were found, and dogs removed. Our mini yearling colt "moonshadow" was attacked earlier this year, many injuries, but he pulled though, and is fine. Vet says he was very very lucky to be alive. The owners relinquished the dogs to authorities, so I don't have to worry about them coming back. Our property is fully fenced, and they cleared several fence lines to get to my mini....it's just crazy!

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to the filly
default_sad.png
Just tragic!

Once dogs have done this sort of thing they will continue since they have "tasted blood and the thrill of the hunt".

So sorry the filly had such a horrible end and the colt will be traumatized as well, I am sure.

The dogs will have to be "taken care of" and in our part of the country dogs can legally be shot if they are on your property and you have horses, sheep,cattle etc.

so sad
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Once dogs have done this sort of thing they will continue since they have "tasted blood and the thrill of the hunt".

So sorry the filly had such a horrible end and the colt will be traumatized as well, I am sure.

The dogs will have to be "taken care of" and in our part of the country dogs can legally be shot if they are on your property and you have horses, sheep,cattle etc.

so sad
no.gif
no.gif

I agree. Once they start they will continue. I am hoping they found the dogs and the authorities have them or that colt is still in danger. I tell everyonethat comes here that dogs are the number one killer of miniature horses.

So So sorry, I hope your colt is fine.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear of this atrosity but I am not surprised the colt tried to fend the dogs off. Whoever "thinks" they are in charge will attempt to protect his own.

My gelding (now 23 so 18 --5 yrs ago) was more disturbed and shaken than my 1 1/2 yr old colt that was attacked by a dog. Colt was in the round pen inside our pasture fence. The dog went under two fences and had him by the jaw when the owner and hubby got them apart. The colt was calm enough when I got home to let me treat him. The gelding who had to run around the outside of the round pen while this all took place was still shaken (wary, wild acting) the next day. Guess he thought it was his job to "protect" the new guy.

That is HORRIBLE and I agree, the dogs MUST go. I know someone here who had THREE dog attacks, and dead horses resulted, because the dogs kept coming back!!! And I also agree that some folks just shouldnt own animals. My heart breaks for you and your friends with the Minis.

OMGosh.........how horrible. Poor lil thing. I am soo sorry. I would be just sick if that would happen to one of mine too.

I have been home the last few days and have noticed 1 then 2 stay dogs (they look like pit crosses) in the field behind my pasture. I always know when they are there as my aussie barks like crazy at them. I have field fence and hope the dogs will stay out. Now I am totally worried for my horses.

I guess I need to learn how to shoot a rifle. To at least scare them off.

That's so sad. Poor little girl.

We have told our neighbors if their dogs are in our fields, they won't be coming home. And we mean it- we've shot two dogs that were harassing our minis and llamas.

Lucy

Latest posts

Back