Dog attack here at SevenAcres

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my gosh this is just horrible! Your poor babies!

I have no love what so ever for Pits.

Praying your babies heal up alright.

Joyce

What a frightening thing for you! So glad it wasn't worse, and most of all that you were able to get the dog. You don't have to wonder when he's coming back for more. This seems to be a growing problem everywhere with dog attacks, terrible responsibility to have to shoot someone's dog but you have no choice when they are attacking your livestock.

Jan

If that dog did this in less than 5 minutes can you imagine what would have happened had David not been out there? That's what terrifies me.

Thank you all so much for your concerned post, especially those of you like Tony & Alicia who've gone through much worse dog attacks than we experienced.

I'm really not going to get into a Pit Bull debate as I'm just not up to it right now. I will say that Lisa is right in that it could have been any breed including our treasured pets like in Laura's case. What I will say is when a Pit Bull attacks it is vicious and unrelenting.

We were told that the dog could not be tested because of the massive damage from the shot to the brain. David does not believe that the dog had rabies by the way he was sitting there wagging his tail at him.

Mathew, Tai and Natalie share a dry lot at night. It sits alone on the hill behind the house so they are quarantined anyway. He has a half acre pasture of his own so that will work.

Vanessa, I'm not going to take offense at your post because I know that you undoubtably had never been in that situation. When David saw the dog there in their lot he simple hollered for it to get out of here. When he approached the dog is when he went into attack on the horses. David said one minute he was wagging his tail and the next he was on Mat.

There was something else I wanted to tell ya'll abt but I've forgotten!
default_wacko.png
: I'll post if I remember.

So far the inflammation has gone down everywhere except Mat's deep puncture higher up on his left hip. I'll keep you updated.

Debi

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so, so sorry this happened. I will not get into a Pit Bull debate either- I love them, but I am also a conscientious breeder/owner who would reluctantly shoot any dog of hers who showed these tendencies.

There are problems with any breed- it should NOT end up like this, it is in NO way your responsibility to defend your animals against morons.

The dog is out of it now, so it is rhetorical, I wish there could have been another answer but then, I wish that these attacks NEVER happened, I wish people would look after their animals properly.

Debi, do not feel you have to defend your position, even lovers of the breed understand, I'd have done what you did, and would do it again.

I pray Mathew and Natalie are quick to recover and, most important of all, would it not be nice if, just for once, the owner of this dog were found and prosecuted???

Thank you very much, Jane.

Natalie's leg is swelling again now so Christy is hosing her down with cool water. It may be because it's right there in the hock.

OH, I remember what else I wanted to say. Alicia, he didn't get ahold of Tai thank goodness. As shy and timid as that sweet girl is she probably would have dropped dead on the spot if he touched her! Thank you for asking.

Debi

I'm so sorry this has happened, another dog attack, such a terrible thing. Thank heavens you guys were there when it happened. I'm praying that your horses heal quickly and don't have any more problems with the injuries.

You know I think the true lesson at least for me with all these dog attacks so many have had lately is that the it wont happen to me approach just doesnt work. My barn area is covered with dog proof fencing however.. that said my pasture is not. I know it is a HUGE expense and my pasture is small compared to many I only have just under 2 acres to do . HOwever the one thing I have learned from all of these (and I do thank you for sharing) is that I have to do the whole thing. My horses arent in the pen around the barn all day and are exposed to danger when out in the pasture I need to make sure I fix that if even a bit at a time.

Oh Debi! That picture of Mat brings me to tears! Thank God David was right there! And thank God the dog didn't turn on him.......or Christy! I don't think Mathew could have saved him! (you'll have to give that horse target practice lessons).

OMG I just can't tell you how much I will be praying for you and all there!

Charlotte

Oh no Debi! I am so sorry. What a blessing that David was there!!! I tell you I wake up at night now in a cold sweat if I hear dogs barking. We were able to put Ramble out with the herd finally yesterday, so I'm even more paranoid.

I'd sure say someone up there was watching out for your family, with David there to stop that dog
default_yes.gif
:

AS for this-

Ditto!!!

I am sorry this happened to your family and horses, and I'm glad everyone got out with their lives.

the fact that you now hate pit's sickens me. It sounds to me like the dog had either gone mad with stravation or had rabbies. Any and I mean ANY dog would act like that. You said you had seen the dog and simply told it to go away...last time I checked dogs don't know english. If you could see it was staving why did you not offer it some food? why not try to get a hold of him and lock him a stall and get anaimal control out take him away before he decided that he was hungry enough to chomp on your horses? but most of all why on earth would you not walk the horses away from a strange dog as soon as you saw it?

Was it really the Dogs fault? I was tought even by my parents that if a aniamal does something "wrong" it is always because we did something wrong, and when that did not apply the anaimal has gone mad (rabbies maybe). are you even sure this "pit bull" was infact a pit bull. find a bull

again I am very sorry this happened to you but please don't hate the breed of dog that did this to your horses. humans kill humans all day do you disown every human you meet because of that?

-vanessa

I have always been one to take in starving/homeless animals...before I became a parent. Now, I can't afford to have a strange dog on my place, with an unknown temperament. *If* I had time, and the means, to safely confine a dog that needed help, I would do so, but if I have to walk away from a strange dog, near my horses or family, to help the DOG, then instead I would drive it away and then notify Animal Control.

Heck, I've searched out placement and help for baby opossums (and we all know they can be deadly to horses), but I would shoot MY OWN DOGS if I caught them in the act. I just went through a horrible dog attack by my own dogs and IF I had caught them during or right after the attack, I would have killed them then, myself, likely crying the entire time, but I would have done it. As it is, two have been rehomed to foster care, one is still here (chained) awaiting transport to his new home in Texas and the other was put down. The one still here is STILL an AMAZINGLY patient and loving family dog, but he's still leaving and I won't have another of the breed (english shepherd). IMO, they are too high drive to be idle pets with no JOB to do to keep their minds busy.

As far as hating any breed of dog, that I understand being upsetting. But as others have said, pits, unfortunately have been so misbred/misraised by some people that even *I* (who have had a WONDERFUL, AMAZING Pit cross that was the best family dog I've ever known) would likely shoot one first if it seemed at ALL iffy and then, perhaps, regret it later. I'd rather regret it than ask myself why I didn't protect my family/herd from harm.

Vanessa alot of good points. And you are very correct when you say MOST people can not identify a true pi bull. I have owned pits most of my life, I never had a problem with any of them, good breeding, good socalizing and good training. it is such a shame that these dogs fall into the wrong hands and they get judged by so many people. They are truly wonderful dogs. ANY do can attack at any given time, No dog should ever be trusted 100% especially with liestock. There is so many good websites stating FACTS about pit bulls if more people would be willing to learn before condeming.

I fell horrile for this family and their horse. I have been attacked by a lab mix, my husband by a begal, and my german shorthair pointer by a german shepard, i do not hate any of those breeds. You can not judge a whoke breed because of a situation or even situations. nikki

I'm sorry but there is NO need to attack Debi just because she is feeling a lttle hypersensitive about Pit Bulls right now.

I would not want it turned into a hate campaign against the breed but the amount of damage done in so short a time would indicate a bull breed as would the fact that the dog went straight for the kill.

You cannot hold a dog responsible for it's breed characteristics but I do know my Dobes, even starving, would not have the high attack and kill level that Bull Breeds have.

In fact starving dogs are often a lot less aggressive unless in a pack.

It is most probable that this dog was dumped in the first place because of the temperament- argument between partners- dog is the casualty- how often does it come down to "it's me or the dog"

How often can they be bothered to take the dog to a shelter or, more responsibly, have it destroyed.

The breed of this dog is relevant because of the amount of damage done in so short a time.

I am an admirer of properly trained dogs, and of properly trained Pit Bulls (Not Am-Staffs, Pit Bulls).

But if one of my dogs got loose and someone shot it dead because they would not take any chances, due to it's breed- that's MY fault.

Even if it had been a quiet and gentle dog, it's my responsibility and MY fault- NOT Debi's for possibly (if it had not actually attacked) over-reacting.

Dogs should not be roaming around, they should be under constant care and supervision.

How would you have felt if a child had stepped between Mathew and the dog??

It is bad enough that two innocent horses are hurt, a child, screaming, could have been killed in a heartbeat.

Much as I like these dogs I am VERY aware of their potential dangers, too.

rabbitsfizz I did not feel I was "attacking" Debi. I do tend to over react when people say they don't like a breed of dog or cat or horse because of one bad experince.

I never said I would not shot the dog dead if it was attacking my anaimals. I would do it in a heart beat, Her husband was very brave doing what he did.

my post came off the wrong way,

Debi if i upset you (witch I mist likely did, I have my ways with that) I am very sorry.

-vanessa

Thank you again, Jane. If this dog had been a gentle Lab or one of my own dogs the result would have been the same thing. It was not shot because it was a Pit Bull. We breed Miniature Horses, Terriers and GoldenDoodles. All are in the house or in two dog runs with the exception of our sheep dog. Our male standard Poodle is let out during the day within an invisible fence so even he can't get into the baby pasture. So we are responsible owners and its' sad to say this dog's owners were not.

Debi

DITTO RABBITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I dont think this person has ever had the adrenaline RUSH of having to fend off dogs that are attacking in this manner and trying to literally kill something before your very eyes- ripping it while the animal is in sheer terror and screaming!!!

I have unfortunately had to twice- once many years ago with my neighbors goats (and yes, one of the dogs was a pit mix that was RAISED with these goats - the other a chow) and again this year with my daughter's newborn full sized filly - again a pit mix, who was extremely friendly with the kids and family. When the neighbor tried to 'shoo' him off the horse, the dog turned on him. This dog was NOT starving and was extremely well taken care of! It could have turned out uglier than it was. I had to 'take care' of the dog when I got home!!

How would David even know if this dog was SAFE to grab hold of to take to the barn and lock up? Ever see a dog that was never leash trained by negligent owners, or a strange dog that decided it is not going where you want it to? They can become extremely dangerous and will attack if they think they need to, no matter what the breed. I would not get hold of ANY stray dog, starving or not....

If folks are stupid enough to let their dogs run, then in my opinion, the dog takes what it gets. It is a sad world that folks are not responsible for their own pets and animals!!!

Here is an interesting link regarding stats on dog attacks...

http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog%20Bite%20Stat...Statistics.html

In the article, I found the following interesting...

The breeds most often involved in fatal attacks are Rottweilers and Pit bulls.

In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

From 1979 to 1998, at least 25 breeds of dogs have been involved in bite related deaths. Pit Bulls and Rottweilers were involved in more than 50 percent of these incidences.

In a study reported by a retired professor from California State University at Chino, Robert Plum, it was found that one dog in 55 will bite someone seriously during the course of a year. With respect to breed differences in the tendency to inflict serious injury, Plumb estimates that when a pit bull bites a human, one in 16 (e.g. 1/16) will inflict serious injury; this contrasts with a ratio of 1/296 Dobermans, and 1/156 German shepherds.

I'm so glad everyone is ok, and soo very glad your Mathew stuck around to help fight the dog. It sickens me to imagine what could have happened had the dog turned on David and he hadn't had the horse there to help him. :eek: Its too bad the dog cannot be tested for rabies. Please educate yourself on the warning signs and keep an eye on your horses and David, you can never be too careful.

:eek: GRR, in my opinion these stray dogs are ten times more dangerous than wild species ie. bears, coyotes,etc..I know they are predators too but somehow dogs are more likely to attack. This forum proves it! I for one can tell you I will NOT hesitant for one minute to take them out!

I would feel horrible about it but so would I feel just as bad to bury my horse!

Maxine

Debi I am sorry this thread has turned into a pit pull supporter to pit bull basher thread..

Bottom line is this sadly as has been proven on our own fourm ANY breed of dog can casue severe damage to a mini- It can happen to any of us from a stray dog or our own family pets we have had for years- none of us knows exactly what we would do or how we would react unless in that situation ourselves

and like it or not human nature is that experiences do lead to our beliefs both with good and bad things and now is not the time nor place to try and change anyones beliefs on pit bulls or any other breed of dog.

And for the record yes I do own pits, have always owned pits and always will own pits.

and I dont let them with my horses even though they are with my small dogs and kids. All we can do from all of this I will say again is to learn from Debi's experience and the others in the past couple of months as well and do what we can to protect our horses

I'm so sorry, but i'm glad they're doing okay.
default_smile.png
Our dobe grabbed a baby rabbit that escaped from our shed one day, and hearing the baby scream (it wasn't hurt, the dog just picked her up and dropped her) was so terrifying.

On the pitbull thing; I think it's incredibly naive to judge a whole breed on one experience. As for human attack statistics and pitbulls, a GOOD fighting-bred pit (not saying i support fighting dogs at all!) would NEVER attack a human. Pits that would attack a human would be shot in the fighting business; handlers have to handle the dogs in extremely high-drive modes; they can't risk getting attacked, even while the dog is so worked up. Also, "pits" from show lines (amstaffs, staffies, etc) are bred to be great family pets and are getting away from any aggression at all, even dog aggression (the staffie is known as the "nursemaid" dog in the UK, i've heard, as they're excellent with kids and everything).

Having said that, though, I do know a lot of pits are bred badly or raised badly, and I wouldn't trust a stray one myself, as opposed to a strange dobie (we have dobies and they're complete dopes, haha. love them to death), who i probably wouldn't be too scared of unless it showed signs of being aggressive. It's just that bias in society and the breeders that want "tough" dogs that are ruining it for everyone.

Latest posts

Back