Dog attack here at SevenAcres

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OhMiGosh Debi, I got in late last night and didn't open my email till this morning. I nearly fell off my chair. Thank the Lord that David was home, and that Christy was nearby and was able to run for the gun for him. Hope Mat and Natalie recover quickly. (((((hugs)))))

Bec

Debi, first I am just heartbroken about this, hopefully the horses will heal quickly. Were any of your family bitten? I must address the RABIES issue. I pray the dog's head was sent to be tested. Even a pitbull will run from a human attack, they are a survival and kill dog. I just want you all to be ok in the end so please tell me (us) the dog is being tested. Rabies is a cruel disease and one I wouldn't wish on anyone 2 footed or 4. Hugs.

Debi, I am so sorry to hear your story. I hope all will be okay. I'll say it again, but dogs and miniature horses don't mix. Dog proof fencing is the only way to keep your horses safe.

Debbie

I have not read all the posts here but....

PLEASE quarantine the bitten animals. That dog could have had rabies.

Can you send him off for a postmortem exam to rule out rabies?

That is worrying me!!!!!

So sorry about the injuries. But, IMO pits can't be trusted! OK, some may be fine for their owner but, I have seen too many that are wicked. My son has had a couple of them, the last would bite in a heartbeat and never even growl first
Ditto!!!

I am sorry this happened to your family and horses, and I'm glad everyone got out with their lives.

the fact that you now hate pit's sickens me. It sounds to me like the dog had either gone mad with stravation or had rabbies. Any and I mean ANY dog would act like that. You said you had seen the dog and simply told it to go away...last time I checked dogs don't know english. If you could see it was staving why did you not offer it some food? why not try to get a hold of him and lock him a stall and get anaimal control out take him away before he decided that he was hungry enough to chomp on your horses? but most of all why on earth would you not walk the horses away from a strange dog as soon as you saw it?

Was it really the Dogs fault? I was tought even by my parents that if a aniamal does something "wrong" it is always because we did something wrong, and when that did not apply the anaimal has gone mad (rabbies maybe). are you even sure this "pit bull" was infact a pit bull. find a bull

again I am very sorry this happened to you but please don't hate the breed of dog that did this to your horses. humans kill humans all day do you disown every human you meet because of that?

-vanessa

Last edited by a moderator:
So thankful Debi, that your husband was there to protect them from what would have been, had he not. I agree with Lauralee, please quarantine them for at least two weeks if possible. Have you contacted your local State Health Dept. or Animal Control? Perhaps they can test the dog to determine if he was rabid or not? Have your horses been vacc. for Rv? Here in Florida we do ours every year, with Bobcats and such. So thankful too, that your husband wasn't somehow bitten or even scratched in all the scuffle. Holding your two attacked babies in prayers of thanks and healing.

Hugs,

Tanya

OMG..sooo sorry this happened..and so glad David was there..((()))

These darn dogs getting out of control..I wished people where more responsible!

Well at least THIS One dog will attack No more! Praying for a complete recovery!

OMG I am soo sorry your minis had to go through that. Glad your hubby was there to help, though he took a big chance of getting hurt himself.

Hope they heal quickly!

Dogs are predators pure and simple. Dog knew what it wanted to do and did it. Am very glad it will not hurt another animal or person.

I was so afraid to read your post. I just hate to see dog attacks. I am so glad David was there and able to get him off. Was the dog sent in to be checked? It seems like this is a horrible year for dog attacks. I sure wish owners would watch and contain there dogs much more closely. Praying for your little ones that they make a full recovery. Corinne

I am so sorry and am glad your husband was there.

I am sure you wont be able to see this now but.. Pits arent horrible dogs majority of pits have horrible owners. We have seen on this fourm to much lately how even our own family pets can and will attack a mini with severe damage. I find most dogs will opt to go for a mini more then a large horse.

Any dog has the potential to do severe damage.

I know how scary it is we have had both a husky and a shepard attack our horses luckily timing was right and I was here and saw them before they were able to do much damage and just got one horse on the nose.

Please keep us posted on how your horses are doing.

I sure do feel for you, having just gone through this myself. I am so glad someone was home to beat the dog off. I hope your horses recovery completely and quickly. My prayers.

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
David is lucky the dog didnt turn on HIM!!! When dogs get into a frenzy to kill- they dont care what they attack!! Thank heavens he was there. This was the nature of the dog that attacked my daughters full sized foal this year. Was great with kids and people, but just flipped one day. When the neighbor tried to get him off the baby, the dog started to turn on him!!!

So sorry your family has to deal with this. But thankful as well David was there.

Wishing all a healthy recovery.

So glad no one was killed but what did happen was bad enough. I don't trust pit bulls and I don't care how sweet some of them seem.

My friend has one and he is the most happy go lucky loving dog, and I even like him, BUT I STILL DON"T TRUST HIM.

I'm glad that he has really good owners.

I hope your minis have a good recovery.

Jo

So sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience. I am not going to get involved with the pit bull issue. I know some people think they are great dogs and others loath them. thoughts and prayers are with you and your horses. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Oh Debi,

Been there, done that. It is so cruel what dogs can do. I am unsure where Vanessa is coming from. . You kill the dog first, and think about it later, David could have been the one attacked if he would have tried to move the dog to a stall to call animal control :new_2gunsfiring_v1: .

My assumption is that Tai is ok? I sure hope so. I know in your care, everything will be done to Mat and Nat. to make them comfortable.

I would also cover them with both kinds of broad spectrum antibiotics, one for Gram positive, and one for Gram negative. That way you can get either type of bacteria.

If I can help out in any way, just let me know, I am here for ya'll.

How absolutely terrrifying... I am so glad your husband was there to try to protect your minis.

Liz R.

I don't have much trust for pit bulls either.....

I place that blame on the INDISCRIMINATE BREEDERS who breed these dogs for illegal fighting. This beautiful breed's temperament is ruined by inbreeding and intentional breeding for aggressiveness. There is lots of illegal dog fighting (and betting) in the south....epidemic in proportions and VERY VERY popular.

Pit Bulls can not be compared to just any dog. Their jaw strength far surpasses that of most breeds. There are other breeds with comparable jaw strength and physical abilities, however, not many folks are selecting and crossing German Shepherds and Akitas to go into dogfighting. The only breed I see repeatedly bred this way is the pit bull.

The breed does get a bad rap, and it is not the fault of the dogs, it is the fault of the humans who created them. No matter whose fault it is, this is a breed that cannot be trusted.

Oh, Debi, I am so sorry for you and what you just went thru with a dog. How horrible that this could happen right before your eyes. Seems like there is so much lately of dogs attacking minis and seriously injuring them or killing them. Prayers from me that all will recover and keep us posted when you can.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back