Does anyone know

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacy Score

Reaction score
OK, I understand that you pull hairs or send blood - but what I am wondering is HOW they extract the DNA to prove that a horse is carrying a given color gene - IF they do NOT know anything about the horse, as in it's color or the color of its parents and offspring?

My mare, Image, looks to be a smokey creme, but I am not dead positive of the colors of her parents so if I have her tested will they come back with: creme, black, agouti, etc - all the colors that she could produce? Can this test be done accurately without knowing anything about the color of the specimen horse?

With any luck Sarah will jump on here and give us the UC Davis answer!
default_wink.png
: :aktion033:

If anyone can turn on my lightbulb it would be greatly appreciated - I am facinated by this stuff
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks all,

Stacy

Stacy,

I don't know how they do the actual testing on the hair to get the color DNA information, although, I do know that it is the root bulb that they test and not the shaft. [the root bulb is where the DNA is, it's live tissue - which is why you must pull the hair with root bulb intact and not just cut the hair].

Anyway, when I sent in my paperwork and hair to UC Davis; there is a spot on the form to enter your horse's visual color. I marked both bay and buckskin on my paperwork, as that's what we were trying to discover. He's bay [no creme, one red, one black and two agouti].

Doesn't really answer your question, but hope it helps.

My mare, Image, looks to be a smokey creme, but I am not dead positive of the colors of her parents so if I have her tested will they come back with: creme, black, agouti, etc - all the colors that she could produce? Can this test be done accurately without knowing anything about the color of the specimen horse?
As I understand it, the test checks for the color genes of the horse whose sample is sent in. And then you may need help from someone to READ the report, lol! It doesn't say the results in "plain English" but in the "scientific-speak" that we sometimes hear on here about color. "Ee", etc. So we should be somewhat accustomed to it but it can still be complicated.

I don't know how these companies charge for the color tests, some are separate I think, like the homozygous for pinto test? But I don't know, I haven't sent in for any myself yet, just have had a friend or two that have. Good luck, I hope you find out!

Yep, I understand the whole root bub thing, and I have sent in tests for pinto, I am just wondering about how the DNA "pops up" with the color - it seems like the agencies always ask for color info on the horse you are asking for their help on and I am wondering what they would do if you put down "unknown" - would they still be able to get the results?

Yes, they can still get the results. Think of those horses by parents that are "chocolate palomino" or whatever odd color they may be called, that aren't that color at all really. Their foals' colors can still be tested for and found out, since the testers know where the color genes lie and just test what that horse being tested carries. HOW, I don't know, lol!

But one of my friends who had her stallion tested, found out that he is a cremello, not a perlino like she was thinking he would be; he also carries one gene for perlino, and he is homozygous for pinto. At the time of his color testing, they thought his sire was a different stallion than it actually was, but it didn't affect his results.

Hi Stacy,

There has been some good input on this subject. They are able to determine the color by certain genetic markers/codes. Its amazing and fascinating how genetics work.

To test any horse specimen for any color or colors the specimen might have is somewhat complicated, but I will try to simplify the answer into laymans terms. First the root bulbs are cut off the hair stalk, put into a test tube with a chemical that breaks open the cells that make up the bulb. The intracellular contents are then separated from the bulb tissue cell "left overs" in a process that involves centrifuge and chemical washes to separate the DNA from all the extra "stuff". The "raw" DNA is then put into small tubes and DNA replicator proteins and nucleotides are added to the tubes and then it goes through a process called PCR, Polymerase Chain Reaction, this is done by a machine, I will not go into how this machine does what it does because that is explaining DNA replication and that takes a chapter in a textbook. If you only want one color or a couple of colors tested they might not amplify the entire genome they may start with what is next to determine the color genes it has. The DNA is then subjected to certain color tests, and since you probably want to know all of the colors your horse could have then many different tests are done. These tests can be different but one way is some DNA is put into a tube with certain DNA primers, which bind to areas flanking the region of DNA for a certain color gene, DNA replication proteins and nucleotides are added and the DNA is then put through the PCR process, and the result is the specific color gene is amplified, if the horse does not have that gene it is not amplified. An assay is then done to the amplified DNA after electrophoresis of the PCR products, Electrophoresis is a gel with an electrical current run through it and the DNA fragments move a certain way through the gel to make specific bands that are seen by computer assisted laser detection of tagged amplified DNA fragments with fluorescent dyes or isotopic labels or other labeling techniques. All this is stored in computers and most testing is done by computer run machines where little human error or time is needed. Like I said there are other testing procedures it depends on which procedure works best for which gene which depends on its DNA characteristics.

Magic I find it interesting that your friend has a cremello horse and has a gene for perlino, since a perlino is a cremello horse two copies of the Ccr gene and the bay color genes of, agouti locus AA or Aa, and E+Ee at the extension locus for Bay, in other words the horse is either a cremello without the bay color genes or a perlino with the bay color genes but not have both and be a cremello. and if he is a cremello he can be pinto , even homozygous pinto but you would not be able to see the pattern, because of the creme genes, but if he was perlino you might if the patterns went through the mane, tail or forelock.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Facinating! Thank you so much John - wonderful information - I will be printing this to save
default_yes.gif
: !

I guess I will be getting busy with pulling hairs to send off to see what shakes.

Again, wonderful information, well explained - we all learned something today :aktion033:

Stacy

Latest posts

Back