Does anyone know where I can find...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
I am looking to see if I can find something that says the suggested weight for a mini according to size. Like the one humans have that say if your 5ft you should weigh anywhere from 98-120 at the most. I have a feeling that my minis are almost all over weight!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
With my biggest NON-PREGNANT mare coming in at 515 LBS at 34" and my smallest coming in at 163 at 26.25". Does anyone know where I could find a chart like that?

I don't know if there are any accurate ones for minis. I know that the past posts have said that the weight tapes are not accurate for minis.

Barb

A lot of people use the heart girth X heart girth X length/300 = weight. Length is considered point of shoulder to point of buttocks

There are too many variences based on the build of a mini to use a chart as a blanket all weight diagram. Sorry, build plays a huge role in their proper weight.

As far as the wormers go, if you are using Ivermectin or SafeChoice, even if you give more wormer than they need you will not hurt them (per my vet). I dosed one of my mares with a 1200lb dose when the ring turned on the seringe. I had intended to worm her for 250lbs. She was fine as the vet said she would be. However, if you are not giving enough, you are not doing the job. I just don't worry about weight this time of year unless they are too thin and you can tell if they are too thin by touch or looking at them.

I guess the next best thing to do if you can't figure out what their proper weight should be is look at them, do they look overweight? As Katiean said, going into winter I would rather them be too thick then too thin

Back