Does anyone have Alpacas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCaseFamily00

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get an Alpaca but am wondering if they are hard to shear? I trim our dogs but I was wondering if I can use the same type of shears that I use on the dogs or if it takes a differant type of shear. What are your likes and dislikes about the Alpaca, are they hard to care for? Just looking for some feedback on this. Thanks.

My grandparents had alpacas and loved them. They had llamas as well, but they said the alpacas dispositions were much nicer and they were much easier to deal with. They did have to get special clippers for them. They used the same one for their sheep-couldn't use their horse clippers. The clippers are very large and the blades are different (have wider and larger teeth). I'm not sure where they got them so can't help you there. My grandma sold their wool to a couple of local ladies who used it for socks and scarves and I think even sweaters
default_smile.png

You should be able to get sheep shears at just about any livestock supply store. I know someone that has them and she does her ruff clip on her horses with them. They do not go dull with a dirty coat.

I raise alpacas. We use Herringer shears. You can hand clip some of them. I have heard that people use Oster shears too.. One thing I would like to comment on. These are herd animals and you can not just have one. If you would like more info please conact me at [email protected] I will give you all the info that you want and not tie up this forum.

I am no Alpaca expert, as we only have 2.

Last summer I clipped both of them with my Laube clipper. I really didn't expect to be able to clip them with a horse clipper and i was very surprised at how easy it was... Total body clip on both alpaca's. using one set of blades (#10) i think it was. Plus the blade was still sharp enough to body clip several horses afterwards.

I expected their wool to be like a sheep, but it wasn't at all... It was the softest wool I had ever seen.

Oh love the alpaca's... but you really do need to have at least 2 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone,I did read about them being herd animals.Thank you New Mini,one of the many reasons I love this forum I know I can always get advice and honest answers
default_saludando.gif

Hi. I work at a llama ranch, so the care between the two are not much different. I really think it all depends on the disposition of the animal. Some of our llamas stand calmly in the restraining stocks, and others need to be anesthetized to keep them from hurting themselves or us. From what I hear from the lady who shears for us, they just tie the alpacas and shear them without the stocks. They are herd animals and would do best with a fellow alpaca or llama companion. If they will be pastured with horses or goats, I would recommend females or geldings only. I have found that by putting down 1 to 2 inches of fine gravel on path ways typically used by the llamas/alpacas that it greatly reduces overgrown toenails. Other than that most llamas/alpacas are easy to care for with only the main thing to worry about is the summer heat which can be aided by kiddy pools, fans, fresh water, and electrolytes to keep them hydrated. Good luck on your new venture!

Dan.

Latest posts

Back