Does anyone else think of these things?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
When you are going somewhere alone, is there always someone that knows where you are going, who you are meeting and when you should be home? Or do you just go??

One evening the end of last month I was going to look at a truck that was for sale. My mom was in hospital so I was home alone--she knew I was going to look at this truck, and she knew that it was out in the country, about 20 miles from home. She might have remembered that the fellow's name was "Terry" but she didn't know his last name, she didn't have the directions to his home, she didn't have his phone number. She was expecting to call me about 9:30 that night, after I was back at home and finished with chores, but if I didn't answer when she called there wouldn't have been much she could do, or much she could tell anyone!

None of this occurred to me until I was half way to the fellow's place, then I suddenly realized--great, no one knows where I am, or where I'm going, or the name of the person I'm to see, no one will notice if I'm not back at home on schedule, and if I didn't come home, even if/when someone missed me, they'd have no idea where I should be. I considered leaving a voice mail message at home or on my cell phone, giving the guy's name and phone number--then decided that was just too paranoid (though really it isn't, these days) I didn't want to phone a friend and say hey, if I disappear off the face of the earth tonight, give this name and phone number to the police. I did, however, call myself stupid for being so careless in advance, and vowed to do better "next time"!

As it turned out the fellow was legit, not a dangerous predator, and I got to look at the truck, test drive it, and bought it, with no danger to myself!!
default_laugh.png

It's hard. I'm sure 99% of us will live our daily lives without anything bad ever happening but the sad reality of our lives today is that we we have to "expect the best but prepare for the worse".

You know, they say you should always act on your impulses when it comes to personal safety -- that those little feelings really might mean something -- regardless of how you think it will seem to others. Like remembering to lock your car doors when you're in the car, even if your memory is jogged when someone walks a little close to it... better to offend them than be a victim.

Pretty much, if I'm going somewhere alone, either H or my parents, if not both, know where I'm going and when I should be back. Also, when H gets to work, he calls each morning so I know he got there, and when I get home from work, I call my parents and let them know (50 mile drives).

Another personal safety good thing in my book = a license to carry.

given that the statistics show something to the effect of one in 6 (some say 1 in 5 others one in 8) women are/have been raped in this country it is a very likely thing for any of us at any time.

I have (as have my children) taken self defense classes specificed for hmm I guess street safety would be a way to put it since i can not remember the actual name for it lol

We know where we are going to be -supposed to be- and length of time it should take-simply can not be to safe these days

In this day and age with so many people disappearing and having it end up badly most times it's not a bad thing to let someone know your whereabouts. And yes, going with your instincts and any red flags that should show up are good things to keep aware of.

Where They Fly Farm - Every time I see your avatar I just have to giggle!!! That is the cutest thing I've ever seen!! Probably because my "little" Lakota (Cane Corso dog) is the same color as an elephant and her ears and head sometimes remind me of one.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Where They Fly Farm - Every time I see your avatar I just have to giggle!!! That is the cutest thing I've ever seen!! Probably because my "little" Lakota (Cane Corso dog) is the same color as an elephant and her ears and head sometimes remind me of one.
default_wub.png

hehe I'm so happy that so many people like my little elephant. I discovered a new use for her the other day. I was a little tired and I sat watching her jump going "wheeeeeee, wheeeeeee, wheeee" in my head til I swear I'd hypnotized myself hahahahaha.
default_biggrin.png

P.S> I LOVE Cane Corso dogs
default_wub.png

For the past few years whenever I am leaving my house, I let someone know where I am going. When I return home, I let them know I am back home.

Whenever one of my kids visit they will call to let me know that they are on their way. When they leave they will call me to let me know that they made it home.

It might seem like a silly thing to do but it's a habit we got into. I'm one of those mothers' that can't sleep unless I know that my kids are home at night in their homes safe and sound, no matter how old they are. lol

I just got back from a trip to Utah. 550 miles...alone! I call the people I am going to see and tell them about what time I should get there. Since I have horses I have someone come in and feed for me. They know where I am going and when I should be there. I call home as soon as I get into town. Then when I left there I called home and told them when to expect me. I call the people I had gone to see when I get home. I have just always done this. It blows my mind when someone does not let others know where they are and when they are going to be home. Let me tell you, that "REST STOP" on the Salt Flats is about the creepiest place on earth when you are alone. You hear foot steps and doors open and close when there is no one there. gives me shivers just to think about it.

I always let my kids, and my best friend know when I going on a trip, whom I seeing, what town, and the phone number of the person I'm seeing (even if going to look at horses I always ask for a phone number in case I get lost) my route of travel and my expected return time. I always call and let them know when I get into the house safely. Never travel without a cell phone either.

Even when seeing my son in Moore if it is after dark I call to let him know I arrived home OK and if I don't call soon enough he calls me.

I now travel with Smith and Weson=conceal carry permit here and well worth it, especially for those women who travel long distances alone. It is just not safe whether your at home or traveling when you are alone.

Have been stranded on the Tulsa turnpike going to Nationals on year and had to stop with a separating tire and had to call (have roadside assistance through my cell phone) for help, but between the time I called and the wrecker got there -- a couple of trucks w/flatbed trailers pulled into the rest stop I was at -- never approached me but made me really uncomfortable.

That was the incident that made me decide to take CC classes along with my best friend, her daughter, her ex-husband (who set up the class) and a former co-worker of his. Class was given by a 30 yr member of the police department who now does private security work. Another good thing if you get your CC, join a gun club that has a range and practice, practice, practice, make that firearm as comfortable in your hand as a writing instrument. I found I'm not as good with a double action revolver as I am with a semi-automatic but can still hit what I'm aiming for. The semi-automatic is on my Christmas list.

Ladies, if your not comfortable with a gun, be sure you carry pepper spray or a taser (taser's are legal here in OK), you never know when you might need them. The time you need them is not the time to think about it--that is too late.

Oh yes... I am careful. Always aware of things around me.

Have shot guns, 22's, 30-30's, etc and while I don't like using them, I know how to shoot and I never miss.

Nice thing about Dyfra.. my Icelandic.. she is better than any watch dog and I will tell you nothing is going to sneak up to me when I am around her. Great use for a over sensitive mare.
default_wink.png
Add to that.. Ella brays very, very loudly every time she sees a human.

If and when I go to town.. DH is with me and no one is going to mess with him, not with the way he looks.

But before I had to sell my Van and I did go to town.. that nice big Van key, was in my fist, through my fingers in a certain way, as I was taught... which can make a very painful weapon if needed.

I rarely if ever take a purse any more, everything I need is in a pocket no one can get too. One less target point for the bad people.

Also never look at the ground when walking,, bad people are more likely to have a go at you. Walk like you own the place and will kick anyones backside... the bad guys are more likely to move on.

Always keep my car doors locked, house is always locked, specially with the issues around here. Locals know we shoot and that if any puts a paw over my fence with a gun in hand.. their not getting it back.

Hate to be this way because as a kid I had no worries but now a days.. you never can be too careful.

My husband is a cop. I gotta be prepared for anything. Never know when someone he gave a ticket to is going to get peeved off and find us (we do live in a small town). We have guns placed throughout our house and I know how to use them (shoot to kill and ask questions later on an intruder). House doors are always locked. I lock my car doors as soon as I get in. I'm a little paranoid, but always have the safety of myself and my child in mind. I'm checking into concealed weapons classes. Just haven't gotten around to it. But hubby bought me a .22 handgun just for that. He carries where ever we go now (even out to eat). After a few mall shootings, you can never be too safe now a days. I call my husband when I leave work or to let him know we're headed somewhere. So he always knows where I'm coming and going (and same if someone is coming to the house to purchase something). And same with him. I ask where he may be working that day and try to call to "check" in. Everyone he comes across has some type of weapon. So there's always that in the back of my mind. And leaving the store, I have my keys ready to get into my vehicle quickly and to use as a weapon if necessary. I'm not going down without a fight!
default_laugh.png

I was a little dumbstuck. When my husband graduated from the police academy, they had a wives lecture that morning. Told us what to expect, etc. But when I brought up protecting ourselves in some situations, they said no way. Most women get the gun taken away from them and then used on them. In my mind, I have absolutely no problem shooting someone if they are there to hurt me first. And half the women in the class were scared to death of guns.

Hubby and I are redoing a Wrangler so we have been purchasing some things off Craigslist and have to either travel to peoples houses or meet them. It's kinda nerve racking to me so I always take someone with me. I just feel safer if I'm not alone meeting a stranger. Hubby has no problem with it though, he goes any where and doesn't think twice about it. I'm always the one calling him to make sure things went well and that he's ok and not burried in someones back yard! We always laugh about it but in reality bad things do happen. So being careful or alittle bit over careful could never hurt.

Leya

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's into calls when I (or a family member) leave home and arrive at a destination--around here I know so many people that just don't do this. Last winter there was a woman that left a party and got stuck so was walking, and a passing car struck her & seriously injured her (didn't stop)--had she been found right away she'd have likely been okay, but she laid out in the snow & cold too long & died before she was discovered. I just couldn't see why she didn't call to let someone know she was headed home, and why family didn't know she never made it home on schedule...but I learned that there are many people that just don't do this sort of thing.

I do wish that it were easy to carry a concealed weapon here. It's hard enough just to get a gun permit at all, pretty much much impossible to get a permit to carry. Pepper spray--not allowed. Tasers--not allowed. Might get away with carrying a rock in a sock, and swinging that at a would be attacker....
default_no.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's into calls when I (or a family member) leave home and arrive at a destination--around here I know so many people that just don't do this. Last winter there was a woman that left a party and got stuck so was walking, and a passing car struck her & seriously injured her (didn't stop)--had she been found right away she'd have likely been okay, but she laid out in the snow & cold too long & died before she was discovered. I just couldn't see why she didn't call to let someone know she was headed home, and why family didn't know she never made it home on schedule...but I learned that there are many people that just don't do this sort of thing.
I do wish that it were easy to carry a concealed weapon here. It's hard enough just to get a gun permit at all, pretty much much impossible to get a permit to carry. Pepper spray--not allowed. Tasers--not allowed. Might get away with carrying a rock in a sock, and swinging that at a would be attacker....
default_no.gif
Minimor Carry a can of hairspray and if anyone comes after you aim for the eyes and then run like he.. I always tell my daughter who is away at school to carry a can of hairspray and carry her keys in between her fingers so they stick out, you can use them like a weapon and always be aware of your surroundings. If you are out at night try to always park under a light. These were tips told to me by the police after a girl was raped after a company social event years ago. Better to be safe than sorry.

Yvonne

I got this FWD a few weeks back and FWD'd it to all my girl friends ...

1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do :

The elbow is the strongest point

on your body.

If you are close enough to use it, do!

2.. Learned this from a tourist guide.

If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse,

DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM.

Toss it away from you...

Chances are that he is more interested

in your wallet and/or purse than you,

and he will go for the wallet/purse.

RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car,

kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole

and start waving like crazy.

The driver won't see you, but everybody else will.

This has saved lives.

4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars

after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit

(doing their chequebook, or making a list, etc.

DON'T DO THIS!)

The predator will be watching you, and this

is the perfect opportunity for him to get in

on the passenger side, put a gun to your head,

and tell you where to go.

AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR ,

LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.

(I actually do the one above ... esp late at night if I am alone, as I am guilty of getting into my truck after shopping and going through things...now first thing I do is lock the doors).

If someone

is in the car

with a gun

to your head

DO NOT DRIVE OFF,

Repeat:

DO NOT DRIVE OFF!

Instead gun the engine

and speed into anything, wrecking the car.

Your Air Bag will save you.

If the person is in the back seat

they will get the worst of it .

As soon as the car crashes

bail out and run.

It is better than having them find your body

in a remote location.

5. A few notes about getting

into your car in a parking lot,

or parking garage:

A.) Be aware:

look around you,

look into your car,

at the passenger side floor ,

and in the back seat

B.) If you are parked next to a big van,

enter your car from the passenger door.

Most serial killers attack their victims

by pulling them into their vans while the women

are attempting to get into their cars.

C.) Look at the car

parked on the driver's side of your vehicle,

and the passenger side... If a male is sitting alone

in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back

into the mall, or work, and get a

guard/policeman to walk you back out.

IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the elevator

instead of the stairs.

Stairwells are horrible places to be alone

and the perfect crime spot.

This is especially true at NIGHT!)

7. If the predator has a gun

and you are not under his control,

ALWAYS RUN!

The predator will only hit you (a running target)

4 in 100 times; and even then,

it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ.

RUN, Preferably in a zig -zag pattern!

8. As women, we are always trying

to be sympathetic:

STOP

It may get you raped, or killed.

Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking,

well educated man, who ALWAYS played

on the sympathies of unsuspecting women.

He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often

asked 'for help' into his vehicle or with his vehicle,

which is when he abducted

his next victim.

9. Another Safety Point:

Someone just told me that her friend heard

a crying baby on her porch the night before last,

and she called the police because it was late

and she thought it was weird... The police told her

'Whatever you do, DO NOT

open the door.'

The lady then said that it sounded like the baby

had crawled near a window, and she was worried

that it would crawl to the street and get run over.

The policeman said, 'We already have a unit on the way,

whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.'

He told her that they think a serial killer

has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax

women out of their homes thinking that someone

dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it,

but have had several calls by women saying that

they hear baby's cries outside their doors

when they're home alone at night.

10. Water scam!

If you wake up in the middle

of the night to hear all your taps outside running or what you think is a

burst pipe, DO NOT GO OUT TO INVESTIGATE! These people turn on all your

outside taps full ball so that you will go out to investigate and

then attack.

8. As women, we are always trying

to be sympathetic:

STOP

It may get you raped, or killed.

Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking,

well educated man, who ALWAYS played

on the sympathies of unsuspecting women.

He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often

asked 'for help' into his vehicle or with his vehicle,

which is when he abducted

his next victim.

It's funny you mention Ted Bundy. In '80 we were going from Salt Lake City to Sacramento to pick up my horse I left there when we had moved. The spring shakel had broken on the trailer and we were useing a ton of gas. We also had to stop every so often to re-tie up the spring. Anyway, my mom insisted we had plenty of gas to make the next town and we would have if the trailer didn't have a problem. Well, we ran out of gas and there was a hole in the wall gas station about 10 miles ahead. I got the gas can and started to wallk. Something told me to stop. I went back and told my brother he was going with me. If I had to walk so did he. We set out on foot. About a mile up the road a trucker stopped and asked if he could give us a ride. Joe said he was not walking so in we climbed. The trucker took us to this really scarry biker bar/gas station. We got our gas and crossed I-80 to head back to our car. A light blue VW bug pulled up and I begged Joe not to take the ride. The guy just creaped me out. Joe climbed in the back seat and I got in the front. The guy asked us were our car was and we told him. He asked if there was anyone at the car waiting. We told him our mother and other brother was with the car. The guy just grined at me the whole way back to the car and he let us out. I was so ready to kill my brother for that ride. The guy was on his way to Salt lake. I don't know if he was Ted Bundy but you should always trust your instincts about people on the road. Nothing happened to us but it could have. At least I took my brother with me for what little help he was. Now when I travle to or from Salt Lake City, I don't let the car or truck get under 1/2 tank and always use a busy truck stop.

Maybe this is a bit odd, but when i was single and living alone and went on a date with a man , i wrote all the info down on paper where, when, who ,what ,how , and left it on the counter so if something did happen to me the police looking in my apartment would at least know who did it. i always called a friend and told her i was going out , if it was with a man. (sorry guys) Something I always do ( my mother taught me this ) is I would always ask the man , after a date to call me when he got home so I knew he got home safely..... I guess this is why I was single for so long. I am big on safety, but now living in the Alps I dont have to worry as much. Any women reading this ...please be careful around men you dont know very well.Our society is getting so sick, and the difference between right and wrong is getting more and more confusing for our youth.I am still very shocked and upset about the young girl raped for 2 hours by a bunch of men at the Homecomming school dance in Richmond Ca. I read this morning that a man was robbed on the street I use to live on in California. This was in the sleepy town of walnut Creek, it was only 9 pm, and in a very safe neighborhood. I have a very bad feeling about the way things are going with our youth.

Had a police officer tell me to carry the wasp and hornet spray it will shoot up to 25 feet away and give you more time to move! I thought this was a great idea and would never have thought of it.

bonnie

Bonnie, that's just what I said yesterday at work when we were talking about this--how about a can of raid, especially the wasp & hornet killer, because that stuff shoots out a good distance!

Latest posts

Back