Do you ever use a well- trained horse in your training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
Maybe because over 50 years of riding I seemed to always have a horse (not the same one all that time!) that other people wanted to go out on trail with, especially if they had a green horse. Target was especially good at showing much more expensive equines that the water hazard or bridge was safe for travel. So when Dancer seemed to be having some training issues, we started working her with other minis.

We worked her with the yearlings over trail obstacles and she seemed to really enjoy that. Follow the leader really does work and it didn't matter who was leading.

Then when she had issues with the cross rail jumps we decided to take Princess over the jumps first, with her following. WOW, what a difference!! I don't think she has refused since we tried that, and is now jumping standard jumps up to 22" high, with excellent form. And even better, she seems to enjoy it.

The last time we drove Princess, we brought Dancer down to "watch" and get used to the sights and sounds of the cart. I know some of you pony off your cart, but we didn't to that, and this was VERY early in Dancer's driving training. But she got to see Princess driving in a very relaxed manner and got to see and hear the cart from all angles - including behind her. Maybe because Princess was so relaxed and comfortable, Dancer had no issues at all about the cart. Of course, we will also use Princess and her cart to show Dancer that it is OK to have another cart pass you - something we were unable to do properly when we only had one cart!

So, do any of you use a well-trained mini in your training? Do you think it can help? Do you have any examples?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, all the time when I had the Arabs- I would "pony" a young animal off something quiet and sensible- it is so much easier to get them to go through water, settle in traffic, etc, when an older, calm animal is showing the way. I know people have ponied minis off carts- I have to say I was not happy, even with someone sitting in the cart holding the lead- it all seemed a bit too potentially dangerous for me, even in the field, and the one time I was persuaded to do it, I was uncomfortable all the time. My friend did this to prepare her gelding for pairs, but I am not convinced it was either safe or desirable- the Gypsies do it all the time, round here, when they are harness training but, well, the Gypsies do not tend to care as much as I do if their horses get hurt, so I do not do it.

When I started all this it was 30 years + ago, the roads were quieter and they were safer!

But in answer to the original question, a nice quiet "instructor" horse sis worth it's weight in gold as far as I am concerned.

Have done that with Icelandic's. Really cool, green horse watches well trained horse, doing what you are going to ask the green horse to do.

confused yet? LOL
default_laugh.png

And just by watching when you ask the green horse to do what the well trained horse did, they do very well. So yes, they can learn from each other.

(not counting the bad habits they all seem to teach each other at the drop of a hat)
default_rolleyes.gif

I think horses absolutely learn from watching a trained horse. Babies learn what to eat etc from watching mom and young stallions learn how to be herd sires if they can see a mature stallion with his band of mares. I have my small arena attached to my largest drylot and the horses there watch me drive my trained horses. I can't verify that it helps but I am positive it doesn't hurt , and the horse being worked learns to work thro the distraction of his or her buddies being loose nearby. I wish I had had a well trained horse to start my husbands pair with. Then when they went together they would have had some idea how to be a 'team' not just 2 horses tied together. Pretty much all the old timers here start a youngster with an older horse at first. I never really thought about using the trained horse to literally show the younger horse 'the ropes' by doing follow the leader. I think thats a very good idea tho and fully intend to try that with one I'm trying to get to jump that seems to be struggling with the idea. Its a thought I intend to pass on to my SIL too who has a young guy who lacks courage when ground driven over/pas/thru various obstacles. Hmmm, thanks for making me think about this, I can think of several situations that may benefit from this.

When all else fails, then I get a "done it all" horse to show the newbie "how it's done". My stallion was very reluctatant to jump until at a show he ended up in a practice line. After watching them, when his turn came - over he went. On the other hand I tried this with my Shetland (unfortunately by myself so Shetland was tied to fence). Everytime I would take the "been there" horse over the Shetland would turn away. laughing I think!!

Yes, I do this all the time. So do my horses! If I am playing with one, the others hang over the fence and watch in fascination.

My arab would hang around as I was training the younger ones (horses come and go around here due to rescues, etc.) and occasionally when things weren't going well, he would step in by whinnying or nickering and coming over. I haven't figured out if he's telling me to lighten up, or telling the young horse to lighten up!
default_smile.png

The first time my young AQHA filly saw us riding other horses, she had a very startled, shocked reaction. She seemed to be saying, "What the heck is happening!!!" When I eventually started her under saddle, I was on her in record time and she seemed to think it was just natural.

Recently I had to get a young rescue horse ready to have his feet trimmed (they were a total disaster, never been done) and to get him used to it, I halter both him and my older arab. First I groom my arab and pick out his feet and fuss over him, then I do the same with the unhandled yearling. He never had any stress over it, as he saw the same thing happening with his older buddy. We were able to get his hooves cut back within 2 or 3 weeks, and he took it very well, even accepting putting his feet on the stand. This is a yearling that had a big fight reaction to handling as he had several disastrous experiences instead of basic learning.

A lot of trainers use an older experienced driving horse to hitch a totally green horse with who literally drags the youngster until he is driving. I don't agree with the "dragging" part because I don't think it is fair to either horse but once a horse has been trained single to the cart and understands what is expected of him I do like to have an older, more experienced horse to hitch them with to teach them to drive in a pair.I also like to have an older or more experienced horse to drive along in a second cart for the youngsters first time out on the road. They are a lot less nervous about the experience for the most part if the older horse is calm and quiet. My training area is right beside the paddocks where the younger horses can see everything that is going on and I do think it helps a lot of them when it comes their turn to start driving - but not all.

targetsmom said:
So, do any of you use a well-trained mini in your training? Do you think it can help? Do you have any examples?
You bet! We've always used "Follow the Leader" when teaching the big horses to cross water or do a difficult trail obstacle but I never had much cause (or opportunity) to use it with Kody. For one thing he's never met anything he was scared of, and for another we didn't have another mini available to let him watch. Spyder, my Arabian, got over his deep-seated fear of carts by watching me work Kody up in the arena that ajoined Spyder's paddock but that was about the extent of it until we got Turbo. I taught Turbo to have patience when standing tied by putting him on the back porch with Kody; he'd fuss and paw and fidget for a few minutes then Kody's calmness would seep into him and bit by bit he'd quiet down. Once he was calm he got rewarded and learned that things were much more pleasant when he didn't fuss. Turbo was scared of jumping ditches on our walks so I started having Kody jump back and forth with us (not a great idea, btw. Kody loves jumping and would try to tow me over at warp speed, then Turbo would hesitate and I'd get turned into Stretch Armstrong between the two!) but bit by bit he figured out that it wasn't so bad. The first time we jumped a raised object (a downed log) Kody's sense of joy infected him and you could see him gather his courage and try and after that it was all over. He was like "That was FUN!!" and now if I run at a log the two are galloping on either side of me, jumping huge like little deer then bucking and bouncing on the other side in glee.
default_rolleyes.gif
I taught Turbo to take a bit by clicker training Kody into taking it in front of him, and by the time I walked into Turbo's paddock to let him try he grabbed it out of my hand and bridled himself. Once Turbo started driving this summer he learned a lot from being paired with Kody. Kody taught him to be forward, showed him the attitude he should approach driving with (fun and dedication both), taught him how to cross water and go under bridges, how to do cones, showed him that dressage arenas aren't scary...Turbo watched everything he did and soaked it up like a sponge. He's learned things that would normally be years ahead of him because he's got a mentor, an example to follow, and he's motivated to be like his big brother. Kody is going to live on forever in his influence on this young horse.
default_wub.png

The process has been good for Kody, too. At first he was really annoyed by having to share me and especially sharing the whole driving thing, but he loves that I'm counting on him to be my hero again and takes such joy in living up to my expectations. I'm always careful to tell him what I need before each drive and he takes great pains to keep me safe. Heck, when Turbo made the mistake of trying to pull attitude and kick me in the paddock once Kody came FLYING from behind me, body-slammed him with his ears pinned and drove him away from me in a fury.
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
He was radiating outrage and clearly saying "Don't you DARE touch my mom that way!"
default_wub.png
:wub When we're driving in a pair he knows keeping me safe means no trying to bolt from high-spirits, no bucking, being right where I need him to be when I need him to be there, and showing Turbo in all ways how a Big Boy acts. Kody had to learn how to be a mentor and once he realized for instance that when Turbo spooks he can lean on the pole to hold him in place, or when Turbo doesn't want to stand Kody can grow roots and be the Good Boy and make him...well, he was all about being the shining example! LOL. It suits his personality perfectly and gives him a purpose and new skills to learn.

rabbitsfizz said:
I know people have ponied minis off carts- I have to say I was not happy, even with someone sitting in the cart holding the lead- it all seemed a bit too potentially dangerous for me, even in the field, and the one time I was persuaded to do it, I was uncomfortable all the time. My friend did this to prepare her gelding for pairs, but I am not convinced it was either safe or desirable...
It worked well for me. It's definitely a safety risk and I got bit a couple of times when I didn't take precautions, but it really helped Turbo become accustomed to what he was going to see on the trails and experience as a driving horse. If I had another driver available I could have done the same thing more safely by having him drive behind my experienced horse once he was trained but since I'm by myself I simply ponied him as a yearling and two year old and let him get used to things slowly. After he became familiar with all the sights and sounds he realized that the front of the cart is the cool place to be and the biggest problem I had was that he got annoyed with always having to play second fiddle!
default_laugh.png

It definitely helped with preparing them to be a pair as Kody got used to the experience of having another horse moving with him and Turbo got used to following my voice commands at the exact same time Kody did. He didn't have a choice!
default_biggrin.png
The colt learned all on his own to match stride with Kody because it was easier to stay at the same speed that way- you could hear them doing it on the pavement when they trotted. Kody also learned to tolerate the other horse jiggling the cart and to lean on the breeching to hold him back- a great lesson for a horse who's never been driven in a multiple but is going to be the experienced horse in the pair.

It was really interesting watching Tee learn from Kody when we met some big horses in pastures beside the local riding trail this spring. Turbo puffed up and started prancing, dancing, and circling wildly at the end of his lead as they came running up but Kody stayed calm and stopped to look rather than spooking. After his initial excitement faded Turbo looked at him, looked at the big horses, watched how I was praising Kody, and very carefully came to a square halt, arched his neck like he was bridled and waited to see if that would get him rewarded too. When that got him immediate recognition you could almost see the lightbulb go on! He got a little excited when we started moving again and the big horses followed but when Kody walked calmly and got praised for it Turbo did too. I was VERY glad we had that lesson with Turbo following an experienced horse and not in a cart by himself as I would have really had my hands full preventing a bolt. Kody was a great example and got praised to the skies for it after our drive!

Shari said:
And just by watching when you ask the green horse to do what the well trained horse did, they do very well. So yes, they can learn from each other.
Absolutely! I'd never really thought about it before bringing Turbo home as the Arabs were both mature geldings who were already fairly trained and set in their ways when they met each other but the mini boys are hysterical together. I work Kody first in his paddock and Turbo nearly goes mad watching him be praised for Spanish Walk, shaking hands, the occasional rear, laying down, etc. When I finally go into Turbo's paddock he's frustrated, annoyed, and determined to show he's just as good so he immediately starts lifting his forelegs, flinging them at me, and if that doesn't work he's tried rocking back for a rear once or twice!
default_new_shocked.gif
He simply cannot fathom why Kody gets praised for all that stuff but he gets in trouble for it. Poor Turbo....
default_rolleyes.gif

I have to tell him those are Big Boy Tricks and he has to wait until he's a Big Boy to do them. Meanwhile, why don't you pick up that whip and hand it to me, Turbo? Good boy!
default_biggrin.png
He has his own special tricks now that Kody hasn't been taught (bow, sitting on an object, and things he thinks are tricks like learning to back in serpentines at liberty and go over jumps and such) and when we're done working on those he goes over to the fence all puffed up and says "Nah, nah, you're not the only one with tricks!" It sends me into gales of laughter every time because what he's saying couldn't be clearer if he spoke English.

I've used the reverse as well. Kody's been stubborn about certain things for years like not pulling when we're going for walks, etc., and I'll make a point of praising Turbo for doing those things when Kody can see me. Sheer jealousy makes him want to prove he can do everything better than his little brother so the next time I get him out he's on fire to be better behaved than Turbo is!!
default_new_rofl.gif
He's still a maniac by himself (and after the last few years of him being so dull and depressed from his back injury, I'm not complaining!) but take them out together and Kody's a paragon of virtue just to show the colt up.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back