Do you ever blanket your babies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
I live in WI...and had a baby born September 1st. Of course she's fuzzy wuzzy.... but I'm wondering if I should get her a blanket for those cool mornings, and for winter especially, or will she be fine on her own? Her mom has a blanket, because last winter we were pretty cold and had record breaking snowfall, and she had some shivery moments. They have shelter they can come and go as they please, and I can stall them at night (I do) and when it's real cold, but by barn is not insulated....it's just shelter from teh wind and a dry bed is all!

Should I have a blanket on hand for her? If so....since I'm not sure I'll have any more foals, do you have any recommendations for where to purchase one? A waterproof, breathable one, preferrably the "growing" type with the velcro strap on the chest that can grow with them from now through weaning and maybe a little beyond. Maybe she won't need one, she is quite fuzzy, and I imagine may get moreso? But figure it doesn't hurt to have one on hand.

Angie

HI Angie,

We just moved to Tennessee from Michigan, so I can relate to the winters!! I had a couple babies born mid september 2 yrs ago and I did not have to blanket mine at all!! But they did get locked in the barn if there was any chance of snow or rain. I ended up putting a fence up in the barn yard and they had access to the center of my barn 24/7. They only shared that with their moms, so I never had to worry about them!! I think as long as they can get into a barn and away from the wind she should be ok!!

I always went to the local auctions for blankets!! Much cheaper!!

Heidi

Thanks for your input! Was hoping others would chime in as well! Helpful you were in Michigan and know what our winters can be like!

Angie

HI Angie, I am way up here in northeast Wisc. ( about 45 minutes north of Green Bay, so you know it gets darn cold ...
default_laugh.png
) I have had foals born in late August, and have had no problems. I do have blankets which I make myself, just in case of a emergency, but never have had to use one. I have also had a foal born from a mare I bought ....not breed, well..needless to say she was, and baby was born Jan. 10. I do keep my donkeys in the barn at night, and our barn stays at about 30-40 degrees in winter. When they are outside, we have a large run in for them, attached to the barn and enclosed completely except for a small "door" for them. Never had any problems, even in the coldest of winters. Corinne

Latest posts

Back