Do you blanket a mare after foaling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
My girls are due earlier in 2011 than I've ever had before, in February/March. I'm thinking they will need something after foaling, especially if they are damp. My foaling stall is open in the front so not super warm. Do you blanket your mares after foaling? What do you use? Does it interfer with the foal learning to nurse?

I wouldn't blanket the mare, but provide better shelter such as a tarp across the front, or plywood, and adding a heat lamp or other source of safe heat if it's that cold.

I agree, close off front with something......safe heat lamp/kalglo heater.

Also, lots of towels! Dry baby & mom after birth. Be prepared to add some nice fluffy bedding. It's especially needed at the floor base of the stall to prevent those low drafts as that's where they will be for a few days. You may need a blanket for the foal as they don't have ability to adjust their temps at first.

I've had a few early ones but not real severe weather in my area. That said, it's pretty COLD if it's only 30 degrees, windy and you are WET!!
default_yes.gif
After initial event, things get easier.
default_wub.png
Remember that a hair dryer can be a great, fast dryer for them with just enough heat on low setting to offset the "wet chill" on that foal. Get mare used to the noise early on and it could be a help to you. Foal will adjust quickly, after all everything is new to it -- makes for a goot part of their imprint training.

Yes, I plan to blanket the foals, I have a hair dryer and plan to use it also. I don't have a real "safe" way to block off the front of the stalls, we used tarps last year to keep out the snow, but I'm a little nervous about having a foal around the tarps. I'll have to think about the plywood, might be able to do that. I do plan to put straw bales across the end to help break the drafts at ground level. It's a very large stall, so if they are near the front end there isn't much of a draft.

I've used heatlamps for our goats, are they effective up high out of the horses way?

I have blanketed my mares after foaling. I pin the sides in her flank up with the diaper pins.

But now I have two blankets that have the sides shorter in those area's made by Show Right Fashions. They have almost a semi circle out on either side to make it easy for the foals to nurse initially.

Once they get the hang of nursing foals have no problem going under a regular blanket. At least none of the 15-20 foals I have had in the past 5 years have had any issues.

I just blanket the foal for a day or two, they have their birthing stall, and use shaving for a week than back to my pellet bedding, and here in Ontario can be cold in March, April so use heat lamps.

I think in 20 years, I can count the times we've blanketed a mare after foaling on one hand.

I agree with using plenty of bedding, a heat lamp, and enclosing the front of the stall in some way. We hang the heat lamp just out of nose reach of the mare.

We've never used a hair dryer, but it's actually a good idea for two reasons: 1. The obvious is to warm up both mom and foal quickly.......2. The sound would be a good imprinting for the foal as it's not too different from a clipper.
default_yes.gif

I have blanketed on a couple of occasions, I think it is a good idea to be ready to the possibility, but not do it unless you really have to (my mares were literally shivering in their boots, one had never been blanketed before and climbed into it and helped me do the front up!!
default_laugh.png

I did as ELF does, and pinned the sides back in a triangular flap, so the baby could have easy access. No problems!

Absolutely not. If they have full winter coats, they should be fine. I would never blanket with a baby around either... where it could possibly get a leg or something hung up in blanket straps, etc... I would be more concerned with the warmth of the new foal, since they cannot control their body temperature yet at that age and have a baby blanket ready in case needed, rather than the mare.

I'd be scared to do it. We had a January foal in 2009 (I loved having one that early for real!) and it never crossed my mind to blanket the mare. I'd worry about the foal getting tangled up. Our minis get so woolly, I just wouldn't see the need... but I am probably too over and I do not let them outside when it's bad weather for at least the first month or so, regardless of the time of year the baby is born.

I had a mare (a biggie) foal when it warmed up to 4 degrees from -4. I blanketed the foal but not the mare. You will want to block drafts. I use the big rolls of plastic. I get a new roll each year. It covers my wooden roof to stop leaks. It goes down the west end (to the ground)to stop any rain, wind or snow. Then it goes across the whole north side. I was going to cut out 1/2 of what goes on the north side because that is where my stallions stall fronts. It was loose across the front of his stall about 6" off the ground. He would just duck his head under and go in or out of his stall. It kept everyone warmer since there are only 1/2 walls between all the stalls. I think the plastic works a bit better at stopping drafts and is cheaper than tarps.

I prefer the heat lamps if it's very cold or if the mare seems weak or shaky due to a difficult birth

I would worry about the blankets with a new foal looking for the milk bar.

What about just a good wool cooler on the mare until she is dry, like you would use after a workout? Wool should help wick the moisture out and keep her from getting a chill while you towel or blow dry. She shouldn't need a blanket once she is dry but hanging a heat lamp will help them both on really cold nights and of course lots of hay and room to move around.

Thanks everyone, lots of good suggestions!

billiethekid, I do think a cooler is what I had in mind, just something to help them dry. I wasn't planning to keep the blanket on for long term or unsupervised.

Katiean- I will look into the plastic, sounds easier than hanging tarps.
default_smile.png

Genie- I do plan to use lots of straw.

One thing I have done in the winter time, is to add a landscape timber under gates to block drafts. They help hold in bedding and are easily stepped over by both mare and foal. My gates are roughly 5 inches off the floor level so this works well.

I also have an open barn concept, and the front of my barn faces North, in the winter time, I have a canvas tarp, that rolls down and is held in place with snaps. It goes all the way to the ground so block out drafts. We use rope to hold it up and out of the way during the summer, it has a wooden pole at the end so it rolls up easily, to any height:)

I have also been thinking about this as well - I have come to the conclusion that I won't blanket my mares for various reasons but I have decided that I am going to order foal blankets for them to get them warm after birth but my mares always are so fluffy and wooly that I feel that if I dry them off with towels they'll be fine.

This year my mare was due in April, and foaled during a warmer night. Typically it doesn't get below 15 degrees here and thats during a snowstorm and ice included. However, in 2011 my mares are due as early as February 8th at 290 days so I am planning on getting rid of all drafts in the barn, leaving on lights and heat lamps, having plenty of towels, and offering foals their own blankets until they get dry.

Everyone's birthing situations are different and not all mares foal during the coldest weather conditions.

Latest posts

Back