Do people still rescue?

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Rescue' started by ScottyP, Feb 7, 2019.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Feb 7, 2019 #1

ScottyP

ScottyP

ScottyP

I was looking though this part of the forum and see where people were doing rescues in years past. Do people still do this?

And how would you go about doing this? Sounds as if it would be a way to help a poor mini and get one to love.

2. Feb 8, 2019 #2

Willow Flats

Willow Flats

Willow Flats

I am in Northern California and they have a mini horse resue here, so yes they still do this, at least here. They also get minis in from time to time at the regular horse rescue here. You can also put the word out in your local horse community that you are looking for a mini and usually someone knows someone that is looking to rehome a mini their kids outgrew or for some other reason. I was given one from a breeder that had a shy mare that was too tall for her program. She's my jogging partner and I drive my other mini. If you aren't concerned about papers or showing, there are minis out there needing homes. Just start asking around.

3. Feb 8, 2019 #3

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member

What a neat way to save some mini (or other animal) by rescuing them. ScottyP, I hope that you can give one a home, if you have land enough and a shelter.

4. Feb 8, 2019 #4

ScottyP

ScottyP

ScottyP

I may have found the way to get a mini, but first I need a bit more land and then prepare decently. I think if I had one it would be more like a best buddy, but then I might try to work with him/her too. Depends on how much more information I absorb from everyone here.

5. Feb 15, 2019 at 11:00 AM #5

homefree21

homefree21

homefree21

I rescued three last year from a kill shelter. I do wonder however, if by doing so it exasperates the propensity for these kill shelters to continue doing what they are doing. Ie..No buyers no kill shelter? Would love to hear others opinions on this. If you want a buddy however, I would suggest you meet the little guy or gal first as mine are not happy to be around people and one I believe is ready to foal and still I cannot get close to her so if she needs help it may be difficult to impossible to do. They are sweet little babies and I don't regret it but just have some post purchase thoughts. IMG_5174.JPG

6. Feb 17, 2019 at 4:42 PM #6

WantAMini

WantAMini

WantAMini

They are so beautiful, and what a nice pasture you have for them.