DNA test questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly

Reaction score
OK, so I got back my results from UC DAVIS on the DNA test for Sahara..... they sent a genetic marker result, I have NO IDEA what to do with that and if I have no potential sire or dam is there any test I can do to see if she genetically matches to any registry?
default_giveup.gif
default_please.gif

What did you test specifically for??? Was it a parentage type DNA test?

The Registries do not have a DNA database that they can use to search for sire/dam. You must know the Sire/Dam, they must then have DNA also on file, and I believe they then compare them together.

If your horse is unregistered and you do not know anything about the parents, unfortunately you just have a grade pony.

Andrea

some breeds have a system that allows you to send in a blind sample & they will run it to see if it matches that of any horse that is in the system. I know it's been done with a blood sample, where the blind sample was run through the database & came up a match to a mare that was registered and bloodtyped with that registry. (This was not the Miniature registry). I'm not sure that even that database would have allowed them to run the sample & search for that horse's sire & dam--had the mare in question never been bloodtyped, that would have been the end of it, I believe; they could not have found out who her sire & dam were without first knowing who she was.

And, having said that, I'm not sure that even that registry would allow just anyone to run a sample through for comparison--in this particular instance it was one breed registry having another breed registry run the sample to try & prove that a horse supposedly of one breed was in fact a totally different breed. The technology is there, but I'd have my doubts that a registry would make that technology available to owners on a routine basis.

Even if you could identify your mare by DNA testing, you still wouldn't be able to obtain papers unless you could track down the "current owner" as on the papers and convince that owner to sign a transfer to you.

Thank you all for the advice...I was mainly concerned in tracing her bloodlines because she looks like she has great breeding. I only sent in a test for the basic DNA typing as I do not have a sire or dam to do the parentage verification.
default_no.gif

They can check it against other horses, but you have to have the information to give the lab.

I have a mare whose sire and dam were both incorrect on her papers. The lab was able to verify her sire by being given a couple of possibilities. We weren't so lucky with the dam....

Becky you would think the breeders would know the dam the foal was out of!
default_unsure.png

I had that happen (as Becky stated).

I bought a mare, had her DNA'd PQ'd & NEITHER parent was right. The breeder swar up & down it was correct. AMHA did the test 3 TIMES and all 3 came back the same (just in case it was a glitch on there end & the breeder stating she was out of so & so)! Wrong parents. Then they checked against others & there were 6 possablities only the breeder stated he never owned any of the 6 possabilities. (This was my 2nd mare this happened to from this breeder- the 1st we found her true parents- I bought both mares at the same time).

Thus, even after me putting up a "stink" about this, the lady in the lab took it to the president of AMHA & HE DECIDED THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT SHE'S GOT THE WRONG PARENTS & THEY LEFT HER PAPERS AS THEY ARE & THE BREEDER DIDN'T GET SUSSPENDED OR ANYTHING- NOT EVEN A SLAP ON THE WRISTS!

Needless to say, I was & still am not too happy about that as I paid for an AMHA Registered mare & basically got a "grade" mare even though AMHA left her keep her papers. I even asked AMHA why they decided this & got nowhere- they said to leave it alone & continue breeding her like I planned (since I bred her before her DNA test came back). I can't live a lie like they all (at AMHA) stated me to do if I plan to breed her for registered foals. Thats just a bunch of bull. And from that day forth, I swar I'd never go back to that breeder again & if anyone asks me about him, he wouldn't get a good recommendation. My family bought quite a few minis from him & don't know how he could claim they were what they were when clearly they didn't come from who he said they did, etc. Especially since he runs multiple stallions & then moves the mares to a different one without waiting the 42 days between stallion, etc... Go figure- Lesson learnt for all of us- No wonder why the man ONLY DNA's & DOESN'T PQ (the ones he can PQ).
default_wacko.png

I just wish in these cases where there are multiple horses in question, that AMHA would do something- The breeders are clearly not running by the rules (course I don't know if AMHA has a rule between stallion, I know AMHR has the 42 day rule). I can perhaps understand 1 accident, but not multiple ones like with this breeder & the minis my family bought. We sold those that didn't match up without there papers & just cut our losses. They got great homes that just wanted pets in the end anyhow. But AMHA should have done something, especially since I specifically asked for them to do something such as penalizing or suspending him. This just shows that anyone can do this & AMHA will let it slide... But I still love AMHA. But it won't be me being like this breeder.

Latest posts

Back