DNA results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weerunner

Reaction score
I've got my stallions DNA report and my mares. So can I look at these results and decipher something about the foal that they have created and will be born in 49 days!!! Here are their results, anyone have any predictions about what the foal will be like?

Mare

ASB17: MN

VHL20: M

HTG10: R

HTG4: M

AHT5: NO

AHT4: O

HMS3: MR

HMS6: P

HMS7: LO

HMS1: LM

LEX3: LN

LEX33: KR

ASB2: Q

CA425: N

Stallion:

ASB17: NR

VHL20: JM

HTG10: KO

HTG4: LM

AHT5: KM

AHT4: O

HMS3: MP

HMS6: KO

HMS7: LN

LEX3: M

LEX33: K

ASB2: KO

CA425: SU

It's all Greek to me, is there a website which would explain it all?

Thanks

I don't think it's really meant to be understood. It doesn't translate to color testing results or anything understandable to "us" so far as I know.

Here is what I posted on a previous thread not too long a go that was inquiring about DNA results. Hope it helps you to understand it.

Each letter is simply an abbreviation, or code, with a slightly more intricate meaning. The letter combinations (ASB17, et al) refer to the marker site and the numbers refer to the number of times that particular sequence of DNA sub-units repeats itself at that marker site.

Alpha characters are also used to identify the variation applicable to the horse in question. (Two at each site, one inherited from each parent. Some laboratories will only designate one alpha character at a specific marker site when the two variations are the same. For example, one Laboratory might specify "N/N" at a given site, while another reports it as a single "N").

Parentage qualification is based on Mendalian Genetics Laws that:

1) No offspring can inherit any factor unless at least one of its parents had that factor.

2) A proposed parent must be excluded if it does not share a genetic marker with a foal that has been assigned to it.

Dna hair sampling does not "prove" a given horse has a certain parent. What DNA hair sample analysis can do is determine whether or not a horse that is assumed to be a parent meets the criteria. This is why the term "parentage qualification" is used instead of "parentage proof". However, an incorrect parent may be excluded with 99% accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back