Got my DNA results back...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hello all! I sent my hair samples in for DNA testing on my one filly back in October and was surprised to get them back in about a month's time after being told it would take months until I knew anything. Glad to report that my filly does belong to the parents listed on her papers. And I'm having her PQ'd to make it all official. I do have a couple questions though. How do you read the results? Does any of it tell her base color or what color pattern she carries? I'll list what was on the papers I got back, maybe someone will be able to understand it better and explain it all to me.

Results:

ASB17: NR

VHL20: MN

HTG10: R

HTG4: M

AHT5: N

AHT4: HO

HMS3: MP

HMS6: P

HMS7: LO

LEX3: KL

LEX33: GO

ASB2: MO

ASB23: JL

Thanks for any help!

Becky

Sorry to say, but we don't know how to read the results. It is foreign to probably pretty much all of us, unless someone has a degree in genetics. They are all just genetic markers, that are used in AMHA dna'ing only, and not of concern really to us. They just send us a copy for our records.(I guess since we pay for the testing)

Those are just the genes at certain markers that the registry uses to verify parentage. Color testing is a different test. You would have to submit hair samples and pay for each color test you want done.

There are several different labs that do color testing. I used Pet DNA Services of Arizona for all but my latest. Nice to work with, I was happy with the time frame. But then I went to print off a form not too long ago to see he raised his prices, so I went with Animal Genetics of Florida, and they were REALLY quick! Better price, too. I'm going to stick with them for now. UC Davis also does it, and probably others as well.

Jessi

Hope this helps you to understand your DNA results.

Each letter is simply an abbreviation, or code, with a slightly more intricate meaning. The letter combinations (ASB17, et al) refer to the marker site and the numbers refer to the number of times that particular sequence of DNA sub-units repeats itself at that marker site.

Alpha characters are also used to identify the variation applicable to the horse in question. (Two at each site, one inherited from each parent. Some laboratories will only designate one alpha character at a specific marker site when the two variations are the same. For example, one Laboratory might specify "N/N" at a given site, while another reports it as a single "N").

Parentage qualification is based on Mendalian Genetics Laws that:

1) No offspring can inherit any factor unless at least one of its parents had that factor.

2) A proposed parent must be excluded if it does not share a genetic marker with a foal that has been assigned to it.

Dna hair sampling does not "prove" a given horse has a certain parent. What DNA hair sample analysis can do is determine whether or not a horse that is assumed to be a parent meets the criteria. This is why the term "parentage qualification" is used instead of "parentage proof". However, an incorrect parent may be excluded with 99% accuracy.

Thanks Karin for explaining it. It makes a little more sense now. So is it better to PQ a horse once you have the DNA test done, or is not worth the time? I know it seems to help having a horse DNA'd or PQ'd or both when selling it. But is worth it in the long run to have it done? Does it make a difference for when the horse has foals, when doing DNA testing on the foals?

Thanks for helping!

Becky

DNA testing for PQ is a good thing if you are selling breeding quality foals. The person buying KNOWS for certain what they are getting. No surprises in 2-3 years when they decide to breed the horse. If pet quality anyway, it is up to the person buying the horse in my opinion. Also, if you have more than one stallion on the property, the buyer knows for certain which sire they are getting bloodlines to. Although as a breeder you try to make sure everything goes according to plan, it never fails that Murphy's Law will happen.

There is no adiitional fee to parentage qualify. You just need to check the appropriate box on the submission form.

However, both parents have to have been dna'd in order for it to be done.

Since we dna both sire and dam, we dna and parentage qualify all the foals.

Latest posts

Back