DNA Color Results Back on Spirit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I think this is the news I was hoping for, but I'm far from a color expert, so someone please use really small words and explain to me.
default_laugh.png

So, I was hoping that Spirit was in fact a perlino and not a cremello and I was hoping for no silver and for a high percentage of buckskin foals out of all the red mares I have. So, did I get what I wanted?

[SIZE=10pt]
animalgenetics_logo.gif
[/SIZE]

1336 Timberlane Road

Tallahassee, FL 32312

[SIZE=12pt]Test Results[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Name:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Parmela Bonney[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Account#:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]104090[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Business:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Star Ridge Acres Miniature Horse Farm[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Email:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][email protected][/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Date Received:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]8/21/2008[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt][/size][/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Horse Name[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Breed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Red Factor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Agouti[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Silver[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Ten Ls Spirits Afterglow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Miniature Horse[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]EE[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]AA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]nn[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Result Guide:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Red Factor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]ee[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Only the red factor detected. The horse tested homozygous for red pigment. The basic color is chestnut or sorrel, but depending on genes at other color loci, the horse could be red dun, palomino, cremello, gray or white.[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Ee[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Both black and red factors detected. The horse tested heterozygous for the red factor. It can transmit either E or e to its offspring. The basic color of the horse will be black, bay or brown, but depending on genes at other color loci, the horse may be buckskin, zebra dun, grullo, perlino, gray, or white.[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]EE[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Only the black factor detected. The horse tested homozygous for black pigment. It cannot have red foals regardless of the color of the mate. The basic color of the horse will be black, bay or brown, but depending on genes at other color loci, the horse may be buckskin, zebra dun, grullo, perlino, gray or white.[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Agouti[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]aa[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Only recessive allele detected. Black pigment distributed uniformly. The basic color of the horse will be black in the absence of other modifying genes.[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]Aa[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Horse tested Heterozygous for Agouti. Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]AA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Only dominant allele detected. Black pigment distributed in point pattern. The basic color of the horse will be bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Silver Dilution[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]ZZ[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Horse tested Homozygous for Silver Dilution (Two copies of the Silver allele detected). Black-based horses will be chocolate with flaxen mane and tail. Bay-based horses will have pigment on lower legs lightened and flaxen mane and tail. No effect on chestnut color. [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]nZ[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Horse tested Heterozygous for Silver Dilution (One copy of the Silver allele detected). Black-based horses will be chocolate with flaxen mane and tail. Bay-based horses will have pigment on lower legs lightened and flaxen mane and tail. No effect on chestnut color. [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]nn[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Horse tested negative for Silver Dilution.[/SIZE]  

Homozygous black and agouti!!!! Negative silver!!!!!!!!!

That means no silver babies unless bred to one, and 100% will be buckskin or perlino.
default_smile.png

Yep, those are exactly what you wanted. Don't forget that your red mares can carry silver so you could still end up with silver buckskins.

Congrays on SPIRIT...now you can move forward with breeding plans (p.s.- I think he is awesome by the way)
default_wub.png

Yeah!!
default_risa8.gif
I've always drooled over him for his head, neck and body and his color was just that - his color. But getting these results just make it that much sweeter! All those red-based GMB mares I've been collecting will be even better matches for him considering how popular buckskins are right now. My personal favorite color to look at is still a red, red, red sorrel!
default_wub.png
But if others like buckskins I'm fine with that!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back