DMSO Safe for Pregnant Mares??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsites

Reaction score
The vet recomended the liquid DMSO as a topical treatment for a swollen knee. She thinks the mare ruptured the blood vessel in the knee. I just read were DMSO can cause birth defects or abortion. I bred this mare about three weeks ago. Should I be concerned? Has anyone used it in this way on pregnant mares? Just wanted some opinions. I do plan to call the vet in the morning and will not use it again until I confirm.

Jennifer, i would not use it. It is so strong and if you have read that it causes birth defects then it's not worth taking a chance. What about icing her knee?

Just looked up DMSO both in Plumb's Drug Handbook as well we its MSDS sheet, I can find almost no drug reactions from DMSO alone besides skin irritation and nausea. I have never had or heard of adverse reactions.

DMSO will be a carrier for other drugs into the body, so be sure its straight DMSO and nothing else is added.

Some equine Vets think DMSO is a miracle worker, others think it only makes horses stink. I tend to be in the latter group, but in part that's because it gives me a head ache when I'm around it, so I avoid it. Truth about its abilities is probably in between.

Dr Taylor

I would never use DMSO in a pregnant mare, but I won't use it. Being that it is a solvent it pulls whatever substance on the surface into the bloodstream and crosses the blood-brain barrier

Latest posts

Back