Dixie Chicks ROCK!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you liked the concert.

The only thing I would be doing with their CDs is not playing them but by Shooting them while shooting my shotgun in skeet practice. :risa_suelos:

Its hypoctitical when people complain about a singer that voices an opinion opposite their own, and says they should keep their mouths shut. Then says nothing about another singer who voices their opinion, but since its the same as the listener, its ok
default_wacko.png
: Its hypocritical to say they can speak through their songs, but not in a speech per se. Just because they are singers, doesnt mean they havent put thought behind their words. Seems like politicians need to follow their lead. Speak what is on your mind and not what you think we need to hear.

I think the Chicks Rock. Doesnt matter to me that they voiced their thoughts, seems other were doing the like. Glad they stood their ground since as it turns out, they were right. They just were right a little before others thought so. Kinda makes you wonder doesnt it?

As for Bush. People forget how Republicans flipped out about Clintons pot use or whatever. But dont seem to recall that Bush was a Coke addict and an alcoholic. But, since he is their candidate, that all is just fine and dandy.

Pepipony, that was exactly my point.
default_yes.gif
: It was stated that I was ridiculous for voicing my opinion, on a topic ABOUT the subject.

Although, I disagree with them spouting off at a concert. The people were there to hear them sing, not hear their politcal views. I would be pretty ticked off, if I had spent money for a concert, ANY concert, and had to listen to the groups opinions on something, whether it was about abortion, drugs, or politics.

BTW, who was he other singer/group you were referring to?

And trust me , I HATED the Chickie Dixs way before they spewed their "opinion"

And I have no problem with Clintons pot use, my problem was him LYING under OATH... What a role model..

The only thing I would be doing with their CDs is not playing them but by Shooting them while shooting my shotgun in skeet practice. :risa_suelos:
:aktion033: :aktion033: Oh, I have a few other ideas for their CDs *ahem*
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, really ticked me off that he lied under oath as well. But at least it was about an affair and that should have been between he and his wife. Now we have an entire administration ( feel sorry for Powell, no wonder he ran the second he could) who lied or falsified stuff that has caused a few thousand soldiers to be killed and destabilized an entire region. Seems that since it wasnt under oath, then its not considered as a bad thing. That ticks me off even more. Talk about role models.
default_unsure.png
:

Toby Keith is the other singer. He has that song 'boot in your 'bum' LOL Think there was another but I dont listen to country much.

Its hypoctitical when people complain about a singer that voices an opinion opposite their own, and says they should keep their mouths shut. Then says nothing about another singer who voices their opinion, but since its the same as the listener, its ok
default_wacko.png
: Its hypocritical to say they can speak through their songs, but not in a speech per se. Just because they are singers, doesnt mean they havent put thought behind their words. Seems like politicians need to follow their lead. Speak what is on your mind and not what you think we need to hear.

I think the Chicks Rock. Doesnt matter to me that they voiced their thoughts, seems other were doing the like. Glad they stood their ground since as it turns out, they were right. They just were right a little before others thought so. Kinda makes you wonder doesnt it?

As for Bush. People forget how Republicans flipped out about Clintons pot use or whatever. But dont seem to recall that Bush was a Coke addict and an alcoholic. But, since he is their candidate, that all is just fine and dandy.

default_yes.gif
: It was stated that I was ridiculous for voicing my opinion, on a topic ABOUT the subject.

Although, I disagree with them spouting off at a concert. The people were there to hear them sing, not hear their politcal views. I would be pretty ticked off, if I had spent money for a concert, ANY concert, and had to listen to the groups opinions on something, whether it was about abortion, drugs, or politics.

And I have no problem with Clintons pot use, my problem was him LYING under OATH... What a role model..

default_wink.png
:
When I said ridiculous, I wasn't directing it at you... So don't go thinking that. I think its rediculous and at the same time hypocritical to go around saying they need to shut there mouth and not voice there opinion, but at the same time you are voicing your opinion about it. I have NO problem with people who disagree with them or they just don't like them just because its not there taste but it does get to me when people voice there opinion that they think they need to keep there opinion to there selves when at the same time they are voicing there opinions! Im sure it hurts them alot for people to buy there CD's and smash them... Its still so funny that they are one of the leading groups in the country....

Gage

default_wacko.png

default_yes.gif

default_wink.png
:
When I said ridiculous, I wasn't directing it at you... So don't go thinking that. I think its rediculous and at the same time hypocritical to go around saying they need to shut there mouth and not voice there opinion, but at the same time you are voicing your opinion about it. I have NO problem with people who disagree with them or they just don't like them just because its not there taste but it does get to me when people voice there opinion that they think they need to keep there opinion to there selves when at the same time they are voicing there opinions! Im sure it hurts them alot for people to buy there CD's and smash them... Its still so funny that they are one of the leading groups in the country....

Gage

Umm, well, I think you might want to look into that Gage. The leading group thing, that is, they cancelled a bunch of tour dates because tickets sales were so poor.

Now off the politcal soapbox.

Rascal flatts, NOw there is a leading group!
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:

I don't use pop music or concert ticket sales to measure public opinion, especially about George the Lesser and his war -- the recent election is quite clear in this regard.

As to the concept of "shut up and sing," I MUCH prefer musicians, actors and other artists who care about what is going on in the world around them and voice their opinions. Much, if not most, great art, music and film make strong statements of the artist's beliefs. Consider Picasso's Guernica, which voiced the artist's outrage at the atrocities of war.

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing. This is especially true of artists.

To keep quiet about what one believes and perform one's art in a vaccuum is as wrong as that to which they object.

Whether I agree with them or not, I LOVE to hear performers of all ilk expressing their beliefs. If nothing else, it makes me think and clarify my own opinions. Even if I disagree vehemently, I consider my money well spent.

I sold my Dixie Chicks CDs at a garage sale! Enough said!!!

I LOVE the Dixie Chicks!! Their political opinions mean nothing to me. They have every right to express their views as I do. How they feel politically has nothing to do with whether or not I enjoy their music. I'm not going to boycott them when they have every right to express their thoughts. I can agree or disagree and love or hate their music as I want because I live in America!!!

I would love to go to one of their concerts!!!
default_yes.gif
:

default_wacko.png

default_yes.gif

default_wink.png
:

Gage

Umm, well, I think you might want to look into that Gage. The leading group thing, that is, they cancelled a bunch of tour dates because tickets sales were so poor.

Now off the politcal soapbox.

Rascal flatts, NOw there is a leading group!
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:
And those were republican states and there new CD isn't so much country anymore so they lost alot of fans that way. But they were #1 for selling albums when it came out and they beat there own record of selling CD's so I think they are doing just fine without the republican states!!

Rascal Flatts are good! Nothing amazing to me and everytime they come on my mom thinks its a girl singing!!!

Gage

And those were republican states and there new CD isn't so much country anymore so they lost alot of fans that way. But they were #1 for selling albums when it came out and they beat there own record of selling CD's so I think they are doing just fine without the republican state
hmm, not that I want to argue...but exactly where did you find this info??? Last article I heard about their sales (regardless of what state - I live in Michigan -very democratic state and they hardly play them at all anymore, and have never played music from their latest cd) was that the only reason they were even around is because Target backed them tremendously and without the Target endorsement their label was going to try to drop them. The majority of their peers in the country music industry boycotted them as well as fans.

It doesn't matter either way. They are talented without a doubt or they would not of gotten as far as they did in the first place. I still think they're not too smart...and they probably should just shut up and sing if they want to save their careers.

Frankly, I don't consider their opinions as something of interest. If they had a poli sci background I might have turned an ear but they are just plain old disgruntled citizens like many others and I'm not about to listen to their tripe either let alone pay for it.

I'd no sooner think them valid one way or the other and when I go to a concert or other venue to hear music that's what I'm paying for. It's as bad as going to a John Lyons clinic at $125 a pop to hear his testimony about Jesus.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Not going there to hear his version of Christianity for my money just there to learn about horses! So yah, I have to agree with the shut up and sing aspect. :aktion033:

Oh yeah, I forgot about this little tidbit of nonsense...

This was on yahoo news sometime around June of this year..

Quoted from online yahoo article.

"Then Maines got right down to the crux of the matter. "The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism. Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country . . . I don't see why people care about patriotism." :no:

If I recall right, that so called quote was a satire of the real letter from her. In other words, them aint her words LOL

Cracks me up that people get all huffy when she said that about Bush, but forget what was being said about Clinton. Ya know, the guy who cheated on his wife, not the guy who started his own little War.

As long as their is thought behind what is being said, I cant blame them for saying it. Its when they follow party lines and say things because it the party thing that gets me. Bush is an idiot, I am ashamed he our President, heck I was ashamed he made Governor. I feel sorry for all the Republicans that just got voted out of office, bet some were good at their jobs. They just ended up getting the ax when it should have been Bush.

Yahoo news stated these were indeed her words. No mention of it being satirical..

And also yahoo music, different article, same quotes.

There must be something about being overseas that really gets the Dixie Chicks talking. Group members Emily Robison and Natalie Maines have now taken on the subject of patriotism, and apparently they're as big of fans of it as they are President Bush.

In an interview with UK's Telegraph newspaper, Robison accused some country artists of jumping on the anti-Chicks bandwagon to further their own careers. She said, "A lot of artists cashed in on being against what we said or what we stood for because that was promoting their career, which was a horrible thing to do. A lot of pandering started going on, and you'd see soldiers and the American flag in every video. It became a sickening display of ultra-patriotism."

Maines continued, "The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism. Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country... I don't see why people care about patriotism."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow ... reading this thread (which went WAY off the original topic), it is very apparent how BRAINWASHED many Americans are. Y'all need to get outside your country, outside your own little worlds for awhile. For the love of God, STOP watching American news stations! If you really want to know what's going on in the world - propaganda free - watch Canadian news or British news.

We get American channels on our satellite, but to us, the propaganda and brainwashing and "Yay America! Let's fight needless wars! We are awesome! Go America! Wooooooh! Go into the military, it's terrific! Yeah! Let's kick some @ss! Wooooooh!" messages are just funny. I can't believe American citizens are actually buying into it! Wake up people!

The rest of the world no longer views America as the greatest country in the world, but rather as the world's biggest running joke. Many countries view America as the world's biggest terrorist nation. Bash me if you want, but it's true.

Celebrities use their own star power to promote their causes ... and are often enlisted by political parties to promote a message. As sad as that is, it works. Gets your attention, doesn't it? Hey, I'd rather watch a good-looking celebrity yack about something then some ugly politician. Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Ben Affleck, Bono, Oprah Winfrey, Toby Keith, Paul McCartney ... just a few examples of celebrities who use their position to get a message across, whether it's political or for the benefit of starving nations.

Ahhhh ... I don't know why I bother. No one's listening to me anyway. Maybe I need to be famous.

Wow ... reading this thread (which went WAY off the original topic), it is very apparent how BRAINWASHED many Americans are. Y'all need to get outside your country, outside your own little worlds for awhile. For the love of God, STOP watching American news stations! If you really want to know what's going on in the world - propaganda free - watch Canadian news or British news.

We get American channels on our satellite, but to us, the propaganda and brainwashing and "Yay America! Let's fight needless wars! We are awesome! Go America! Wooooooh! Go into the military, it's terrific! Yeah! Let's kick some @ss! Wooooooh!" messages are just funny. I can't believe American citizens are actually buying into it! Wake up people!

The rest of the world no longer views America as the greatest country in the world, but rather as the world's biggest running joke. Many countries view America as the world's biggest terrorist nation. Bash me if you want, but it's true.

Celebrities use their own star power to promote their causes ... and are often enlisted by political parties to promote a message. As sad as that is, it works. Gets your attention, doesn't it? Hey, I'd rather watch a good-looking celebrity yack about something then some ugly politician. Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Ben Affleck, Bono, Oprah Winfrey, Toby Keith, Paul McCartney ... just a few examples of celebrities who use their position to get a message across, whether it's political or for the benefit of starving nations.

Ahhhh ... I don't know why I bother. No one's listening to me anyway. Maybe I need to be famous.

Wow, Im not even going to touch this crap with a 10 foot pole.

You are right...the thread did get way off topic...as far as these comments...Over there you see and hear what YOUR GOVT. wants you to believe. Not much different than here really, just a different message. I hardly believe that Canadian media is any more believable than U.S. media.

Not to mention...I don't see anyone on here bashing anyone elses country, so I don't think you should do it either! I AM patriotic and very proud to be!

Very well said Sonya! :aktion033: And isnt it amazing how many of these "American bashing" countries, come running to the US, when they need disaster relief money and/or man power.

Jenn you always crack me up--Canadian news propaganda free?

I read news from all over the world on several sites and they don't spend half the time you imagine rambling on about us unless your news source is Al Jazerra, which is quite popular in Canada I hear
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back