Diversion from foal watch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercysmom

Reaction score
Foal watch was getting to me... Intrepid is progressing as she should but this "grandma" is getting impatient... best cure for the foal watch blues - service work with Mercy!

Mercy was very excited when the trailer was parked in front of the barn... she was dancing in her stall, tossing her head and nickering impatiently. Freedom was nickering her concerns about who was going where and that was a different trailer parked in the driveway and her morning routine was changing and she did not like it. Finisterre looked at the trailer and sniffed it but she has not traveled off the farm since she arrived in May and this trailer was a monster to her. She stood on the ramp and ate grass - for her, that was progress. She also got excited about Freedom and Indy practicing loading and unloading - what was that "monster" doing to her adopted mom and best little buddy?

Intrepid was spared a trip on/near the trailer but she did a very high stepping trot on the way to the pens, despite her very pregnant condition.

Mercy, diva that she is, was so happy to get groomed and ready. She loaded on the trailer with that self-assured, confident attitude, started eating her hay and was ready to go without looking back at her stablemates.

Today's adventure - a trip to our local humane society for Horse & Farm Day. The day here was gorgeous - warm and sunny. We had free rein to wander and mingle with the visitors and Mercy was most happy to show off her tricks, "kiss" people and shake hands with them and to take her scheduled "potty breaks" on the trailer.

I had my hubby's boss's daughter helping me - she comes from a big horse background and she and her mom were amazed at Mercy's attentiveness, confidence, curiosity and patience with her "fans".

Mercy also was very fascinated by some Highland oxen and decided she did not like the llama on the farm walk tour. The oxen she whinnied to and she definitely wanted a closer look - once she had a look, she was happy and settled down near them. The llama she stood her ground on, they made a definite staring eye contact but Mercy shook her head "no" and turned to tell me that that particular character was not worth a closer look! I think he/she was miffed that he/she got clipped so his/her fleece could be part of the fleece spinning demonstration - he/she seemed quite proud of his/her coat!

One visitor commented on the way Mercy and I interact with each other while interacting with the public - we have been together for 12 years and it is second nature to me, like breathing. This visitor remarked, "She sees into your heart and is very comfortable being with you." That was a definite honor!
default_yes.gif
: We do communicate through sign language and body language... I am not well versed in the language of horse but I have a very good teacher.
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

My young volunteer will be accompanying us on upcoming nursing home visits as well. Her mom was astonished that Mercy goes to one particular nursing home as it is quite fancy with carpets and residents' names on brass plaques on the door. Mercy likes it as she normally gets a turkey platter full of carrots and apples, which we share with all the Silversong Farm horses when we return home.

We also had a good laugh as most parents bring their human children to see the farm animals but here I had my equine child wanting to see the cows, goats, farm birds and pigs. Sadly, she did not like the one llama but she does like alpacas.

One family was astonished to see all that she knows - from our interaction with yes and no questions, to her giving kisses, to the movements she and I can do - front and back pivots, sidepasses, without either of us touching each other. The dad asked many questions - the mom shook hands with Mercy and got a kiss...sharing the fact that horses are most intelligent when we take the time to listen to them.

We passed through areas where folks were waiting in line for a hay ride and we caused quite a stir - forget the lines - it was run to swarm Mercy with pats and questions. We cannot do parades anymore as we need body guards to keep folks on the sidelines!

She also had a visit with her first youth handler, Christine, who is at Cornell now but she was home to volunteer her time for this event. Christine and Mercy had a great show career - achieving a 3rd place in the National Top Ten All Stars in 1999 in Youth Hunter A.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

After three hours of work, Mercy was happy to get on the trailer and return home via a trip to the feed store... she was nickering to everyone who took a peek at her through the trailer.

On arrival at home it was to her favorite dust pile to roll... and to resume eating and sunning herself.

When I have a rough day, it is days like this I like to remember - the oneness that she and I share and become.
default_yes.gif
:

This is how I know I have been blessed and yet this is only one facet of Mercy's many talents.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

Denise

Silversong Farm

Oh pictures please next time. It sounds like so much fun, you two make such a great team
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back