Diet for Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
I have two stallions that are both quite portly. The newest, Smoochie, looks like he will foal with the mares. I also have a coming 2 year old colt that is getting porky, and I would like to get them both down to an appropriate weight.

Can I start a diet for them in the winter? I thought they needed extra hay for warmth. Is it ok to put the young one on a diet too? Should I give them the same amount? The pinto stallion, a driver, is 35 inches and the appy is almost 30 inches

buddies.jpg
WindyAcres20193.jpg

Thank you, Wendy

Hi Wendy!

I am very new to this, but I will share what advice I was offered and what worked for me. I did get a lot of different opinions, some said to cut my mare's grain completely out, and others said they never would, so I just reduced it drastically. And I did so very slowly, over a few weeks. It took about 2 weeks for me to start seeing a difference.

I believe it is very cold where you are (?), so I don't know if cutting back on the hay is a good idea during the winter.

What and how much are you feeding?

How much and what are they currently getting? It's important to weight their feed. I wouldn't cut back hay but you may think about taking away the grain especially if they are getting very little of it. Just be sure to give them a mineral block. With the one being a 2 year old you may want to find a Alfalfa/mix hay if you decide to cut back on grain.

Oh yeah, I did forget to mention the mineral block! I just bought each of mine a 50 pound block for only $5 each at Tractor Supply

They are getting 1-2 flakes of alfalfa blend hay twice a day, depending on how cold it is. And 2 lbs of Safe Choice grain, twice a day.
default_smile.png

I'm guessing it's the grain. I know all horses are different, but I was feeding my 35" mare 2 pounds a day (1 in the morning and 1 at night) and she was very overweight. I'm guessing too that the 30" stallion shouldn't need the same amount of grain that the 35" stallion needs, but like I said each horse may be different.

Try slowly cutting down their grain and I bet you will see a big difference in a few weeks.

Keep us updated with pictures!
default_smile.png

They are getting 1-2 flakes of alfalfa blend hay twice a day, depending on how cold it is. And 2 lbs of Safe Choice grain, twice a day.
default_smile.png
I'm going to say you are probably way over feeding the Safe Choice. The feeding chart says .25 to .5# per 100# body weight for maintenance. And, the two-year old probably needs a level between what is recommended for yearlings (.75 to 1.5#/100#) and maintenance.

Well, most of my minis are a hair bigger than Smoochie, but at 35" I'd say 300-325# is probably a good weight for him. So, if he should weigh 300#, that would mean he should only get .75 to 1.5# Safe Choice (since he needs to lose weight, your goal would probably be only .75# daily). And the 2 year old, well that's a tough one for me, my closest size horse is a slight-built 31" stallion at 175#, so perhaps at 30", he should weight about 150#; that would mean he should only get about 1/2# to 1# (I know that's quite a variance, but he's still growing a little so you don't want to short change him on nutrition, once he turns three, he could probably then go on the maintenance level). While both should have their grain reduced, you don't want to do it in too much of a hurry and cause problems, so I'm probably cut it by a 1/4 for a few days (so if you are giving them 2# now, go to 1.5# for 3-4 days) , then by half for a few day (so, 1# for 3-4 days), then the recommended level for their weight after that. Conceiveably with the size and age difference, right now they could both be on just 3/4# daily (this is maintenance, once you get them driving, if they need it, then they could get a slightly higher level).

Our stallions and all our adult horses (except when our broodmares are near to foaling or nursing) get a low starch pellet and hay. It works really well for them and us, and they are at a good body weight w/o having cresty necks, etc. The one we use is engineered by Kentucky Equine Research and called "Pace-Maker Fat & Fiber" at our local co-op. The KER feeds are available in other areas of the Nation and we've been very, very pleased with their line of products and have been using them since 1999.

Link: http://www.cfcfarmhome.net/images/E0228001/PM_product_selection.pdf

Back