Diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponypassion

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Hi,[/SIZE]

I'm a new member. My name is Judy Goulet and live in Reno on a 60 acre ranch. I have had horses most my life but not much experience in breeding and babies. We raise mini donks who are very tuff and none of the foals have this problem so this is new for me.

I have a 5 month mini horse foal that has had partial diarrhea since he was about 2 months. He does form little apples but a lot of water with it. He's bright and alert with a huge appetite.

I've tried pepto,probios,a couple products called Diagel and Diarsanyl,the latterclaims it will stop in one dose. It doesn't, I've gone through 2 tubes.

Pleas I welcome any and all suggestions.

Judy

we use a product called 911. One dose and the next poop will be normal.

We are in Canada, so don't know where you would buy in the U.S.

The Tractor Supply Company carries it here (TSC Store)

I had a filly last year that had diarrhea and found out she was loving the salt block a bit to much. Once I removed the salt block the problem cleared up in just a couple of days. I put it in a feeder that the mares could reach but not the babies, eventually (in a month or so) I put it back where she could reach it but she wasn't nearly as interested in it by then. Another possibility is your baby has been eating dirt and has sand build up. There are a variety of ways to clear sand if that is the case. Psylum (sp) is said to work as is flax seed or there are some commercial products such as sand clear that you can use.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its been going on this long I would take a stool sample to your vet and have it tested.

We did have this happen last year with a filly and finally (after numerous treatments and a stool sample) I took her off all alfalfa hay and gave her only grass hay (i prefer alfalfa) well that did the trick. She is one of the only horses I have ever had that was sensitive to alfalfa.

Have you had your vet out? If you don't treat the CAUSE of the diarrhea, using products to make it temporarily better won't help.

For transient diarrhea, I do recommend "Bio-Sponge" by Platinum Performance. Have seen it work most every time on many horses.

However, diarrhea can be caused by many things. Sometimes worms will cause it. Sometimes you need to put the horse on Metronidazole (antibiotic) for 5-7 days to clear up bacteria which may be causing it.

Sometimes the horse has an allergy to something it is eating or breathing and will respond with diarrhea instead of hives or something.

And just sometimes, the horse has chronic diarrhea. Only your vet can help run tests or prescribe something that might help... since your OTC treatments have failed. I always recommend having a good vet evaluate the horse and help direct treatment.

Good luck,

Andrea

we use a product called 911. One dose and the next poop will be normal.
We are in Canada, so don't know where you would buy in the U.S.

The Tractor Supply Company carries it here (TSC Store)
Thanks Genie,

I give fiberpsyll to the adults but was worried it would make him worse but he is on dry lot and could have sand. I found your store online but they didn't have the 911.

Judy

I had a filly last year that had diarrhea and found out she was loving the salt block a bit to much. Once I removed the salt block the problem cleared up in just a couple of days. I put it in a feeder that the mares could reach but not the babies, eventually (in a month or so) I put it back where she could reach it but she wasn't nearly as interested in it by then. Another possibility is your baby has been eating dirt and has sand build up. There are a variety of ways to clear sand if that is the case. Psylum (sp) is said to work as is flax seed or there are some commercial products such as sand clear that you can use.
He does love the saltblock,I'll try that.

Thanks.

If its been going on this long I would take a stool sample to your vet and have it tested.
We did have this happen last year with a filly and finally (after numerous treatments and a stool sample) I took her off all alfalfa hay and gave her only grass hay (i prefer alfalfa) well that did the trick. She is one of the only horses I have ever had that was sensitive to alfalfa.

Hi KayKay,

They are on a mix. I think when I wean him which will be soon I'll put him on straight grass. We're also trying to collect a fresh stool to take to the lab but ya know how that goes. We either miss when he's going or it happens on a weekend.

I would second the biosponge (I had results in less than 12 hours) and also the sandclear. You can buy the biosponge off the internet, its like the 911 paste.

Carolyn

I'll second (or "third") the suggestion for BioSponge, great stuff and pretty safe. www.platinumperformance.com or some vets carry it. I buy it in the paste rather than dry, much less messy.

Jan

You could try vanilla yogurt for a couple weeks, with its natural live cultures it may help.

Also, Metamucil(psyllium) firms up the manure and at the same time gets rid of sand.

Probios is great and I love Biosponge.

Robin

Latest posts

Back