Deworming problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only worm 2x in the summer months (April till august or so evenly spaced apart), maybe once through the winter, and 10 weeks after our last horse show of the season even though he's not allowed to graze there, because lord knows what those fairgrounds hold! With properly managed pastures, there is no reason any horse should need more than that. The place I board removes (not just piles in a corner!) ALL manure every 2 weeks or so. There is no reason for worms, and my vet agrees with me. Being as I only worm 3x a year, I just pick 3 different wormers.

The only wormers I have ever had an issue with were oxybendazole and fenbenazole. My horse ended up with god awful diarrhea, and thankfully no other symptoms. When mom managed a barn, she said she used fenbendazole once (granted, this was the 80's) and EVERY horse in the barn had a dreadfully swollen mouth and a god awful colic. We stick to generic ivermectin, and zimaectrin gold. Never had an issue.

No, I will not use PP as there are far too many resistance issues with it now. I am afraid as far as I know you cannot get Praziquantel on it's own in the States- you may be able to get it in Canada and have it posted down to you by a kind "neighbour" I think it must be a licensing thing as it is perfectly safe. Barring that just use Equimax Duo as it has the right amount of Ivermectin in it- I ahve to admit to being paranoid about ready mixed chemicals and I would be emptying the tube into a dish and mixing it up thoroughly before putting it all back- but I am probably worrying unnecessarily !!

Zimecterin Gold was the product that had to be recalled due to mouth swelling etc. There is nothing in Fenbendazole that can cause the runs- although killing a big worm burden can do that. Nor is there anything in Fenbendazole that can cause mouth swelling- was it generic or a processed product? Worms can live in the soil in dormant state for ten years+ and tapes longer, I could go on, but there seems to be little point as people will stick to their routine, sometimes, no matter what the evidence. Encysteds do not show on any test, tapes do not show on a faecal, (sorry, I went on anyway!!)

Zimecterin Gold also only has 1.55% Ivermectin incorporated....OK, now I really am finished.

Since you actually saw a heavy load of worms, after she was wormed, she does need to be wormed again. You need to treat her for the worms she has and then put her on a maintenance program. If you don't she could seriously end up with more problems. Worms can spread to horses internal organs and kill them. They can even abscess and come out of the skin. A heavy load can also cause colic. She needs to be treated for the worms she has until she is clear and then put on a maintenance program. I would use ivermectin, you can get it from your local tack store and it's pretty reasonable. Good luck!

Sorry but im not neglecting my horse lol.. i been worming as my vet has told.. she just got her teeth done a month ago and a full vaccination.. if u think im "neglecting and cruel" to my horse sorry to say but im not.. just following what someone told me.. im not trying to say u guys are wrong as i appreciate ur advise but i just really dont like being called cruel just because i followed my vets advise and deworming sheet. She just got her feet done today and we do it every other months.. i wouldnt of rescued her if i would be cruel now would i? Lol i contacted my vet and he told me to worm her in 2 months from now worms or no worms as to early may also cause colic.. as this is what happened with my miniature filly.. so please dont say im cruel just because i followed my vets advise thanks
default_smile.png
and also here dewormers are 25$ no matter what kind i get :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say that if you are paying that much for wormers you might want to check out one of the on line stores like Jeffers Equine (there are several but this is the one I use) They are based in the USA but will ship wormers to you in Canada and even with freight it is very inexpensive. I pay less than $10 (7.99 freight and taxes incl.last time I ordered) for a tube of ivermectin that is enough for 3+ horses. I usually order enough to do all the wormings for the year and they have always had expiry dates saying they are good for at least 2 years. Just an FYI

Zimecterin Gold was the product that had to be recalled due to mouth swelling etc. There is nothing in Fenbendazole that can cause the runs- although killing a big worm burden can do that. Nor is there anything in Fenbendazole that can cause mouth swelling- was it generic or a processed product? Worms can live in the soil in dormant state for ten years+ and tapes longer, I could go on, but there seems to be little point as people will stick to their routine, sometimes, no matter what the evidence. Encysteds do not show on any test, tapes do not show on a faecal, (sorry, I went on anyway!!)

Zimecterin Gold also only has 1.55% Ivermectin incorporated....OK, now I really am finished.

Not sure about the kind Mom used "back in the day".

I used anthelcide Eq, which is oxyibendazole. Yes, I used the proper dosage for my horse as well. I honeslty forget what kind of fendbendazole it was, i look at drug name not the name on the box! I understand in theory those things arent supposed to cause issues, however, every horse reacts differently and we must remember that.

No fecal I have ever done on my guy has been positive, however, due to the life cycle of parasites, the fact we show, horses come in and out, etc, the vet still reccomended I use our worming program and just avoid the "bendazoles" as he felt it was more likely an allergy/ irritation /just plain didn't set right in his digestive tract.

Just an FYI. You can get both pyrantel pamoate and fenbendazole (Safeguard) as suspensions in various sizes of bottles; much more economical than those pastes. The only paste I used was the Eqvalan Gold (Ivermectin/praziquantel) twice/year.

I forgot you have the paste- I have only ever used the suspension of generic Fenbendazole- if you used a paste it is always possible that the "filler" was what caused the reaction as that was what it was with Zimecterin Gold. There is nothing in Fenbendazole that could cause such a reaction- I have just checked that!

If you do not use Fenbendazole how do you worm for encysteds, and Fenbendazole and Moxidectin are the only drugs on the market that will kill them...

Encysteds do not show up on any test on the market.

Minihorselover no one has said or even intimated that you are "cruel" only that your worming programme quite obviously leaves something to be desired!

I forgot you have the paste- I have only ever used the suspension of generic Fenbendazole- if you used a paste it is always possible that the "filler" was what caused the reaction as that was what it was with Zimecterin Gold. There is nothing in Fenbendazole that could cause such a reaction- I have just checked that!

If you do not use Fenbendazole how do you worm for encysteds, and Fenbendazole and Moxidectin are the only drugs on the market that will kill them...

Encysteds do not show up on any test on the market.

Minihorselover no one has said or even intimated that you are "cruel" only that your worming programme quite obviously leaves something to be desired!
We don't. I refuse to subject my horse to something he's obviously very allergic to for a parasite he might not (and probably doesn't) have.

Im pretty sure it was the filler that did it as well, but im not going to screw with using it again unless he's showing signs of worms. Thankfully he didn't colic, but obviously his belly didn't agree with whatever was in it! I am not a fan of pfizer to begin with, I try to stick to merial (formerly/currently Merck) or boerhinger products, but obviously that isn't possible all the time.

Back