Deworming a foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovable minis

Reaction score
With having my first foal this year I got to wondered when you start deworming a foal and anything not to use?? I know not Quest (for any mini). What about dosage? Most my dewormers start out at 110 to 250 weight. Just trying to learn all I can.

Thanks!

Donna, this is Donna, LOL, I will tell you what I do as per my vets instructions. At one month of age I give the foal dosage of Strongid. I get the foals weight, nomally by standing on scales and holding it, and figure out the dosage into a 3cc syringe. That is allot easier to measure out the correct dosage. And if you give a little to much, it will not hurt the foal. After the first dose at a month, I give a dose every month, weighing in the foal each time to determine the correct dosage. Beginning at 6 months I give the Ivermectin accoring to the foals weight and from that instance on I alternate as I do my big horses.

If for some reason it seems a foal is not gaining weight and looks as though it may be wormey, I will give a 5 day regimant of Panacure, again, carefully seperating the dosage according to weight.

I hope this is information that will help you, and yes, DO NOT EVER GIVE QUEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here on my farm, foals are dewormed starting at one month of age. They are dewormed monthly until they are a year old. I like to use Safeguard or Panacur (fenbendazole) as they are the most effective against roundworms. Ivermectin isn't very effective against roundworms in foals, but usually I will worm them around 4 months of age with an ivermectin product that also has praziquantel in it for tapeworms. I do add Strongid into the rotation as well.

Most of the paste syringes are marked in 250 lb increments, but if you count the notches on the tube, they are usually 50 lbs per notch. I guesstimate a foals weight and go from there.

Here we deworm the first time when the foal is 4 to 6 weeks old; since ivermectin is still very effective against roundworms in our foals, we use ivermectin. At 4 weeks we dose for 50 lbs. and then the following times (monthly) we dose at 100 lbs. until the foal is 4 or 5 months old--then we dose at 200 lbs. This is overdosing, but ivermectin is safe at those levels.

Fenbendazole at ten days.

Ivermectin at one month.

and two months,

and three months
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Then Fenbendazole five day at weaning and after that wormed as usual with the mares every eight weeks.

Latest posts

Back