Deer with minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffsmom

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone think that deer could hurt a mini? I just walked out into Tuff's pen with a flashlight, and I swear there were at least 15 sets of deer eyes staring at me, with one teeny set of red ones right in the middle of them (The red eyes were Tuff). They all seemed to be grazing together peacefully...but it makes me uncomfortable. The deer all hissed and threw a fit when they saw me coming, but does anyone think they could hurt him?????

I have no idea about when the seasons of deer occur, but during mating (?) season, do you think a buck could become aggressive?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have deer coming out of our ears up here.. We have deer all the time in our fields even had some orphaned fawns take up residence at night in our barn!! So far we have never had any animal hurt by deer.. they put a hurting on our fence but thats about all. The rut is already in here in WV. The bucks have only one thing on there minds right now.. So i dont think they pay anything else much attention unless its another deer. Thats why we have so many killed by cars during this time.. If it is a doe killed its b/c she is being chased by a buck and if its a buck he was chasing a doe and didnt look both ways before crossing the road...lol..

Okay, good deal. My husband told me not to worry...but he's watching a movie, and I think he just didn't want to talk to me
rolleyes.gif

We have the stupid deer EVERYWHERE. I had this beautiful banana plant that I had babied for over a year, it was goergous, over 3 feet tall and had these huge leaves. When we moved here, I put it out on our front porch that evening...and when I got up the next morning it was GONE. I mean, leaves, stem, everything. I was furious, it was those stupid deer. I'll bet if I went outside right now there'd be at least 10 of them in our yard. We need a high fence.....

Boy do I know what you mean about them eating plants.. they have ate my azalea bushes, my pine trees, my flowers. they tear up my yard all year long. They ate all of my lettuce and dug up all of my carrots out of my garden this year.. dern things... Thats ok though bow hunting is in right now.. I have a craving for some tenderloins fried up...lol
yes.gif

A high fence for them would have to be at least over 6 feet tall and solid so they wouldnt/couldnt go thru it.

Mona at one time had a deer that I think was living (by it's choice) with her mares. She posted many pictures of the deer, which was so cute. I think she started in with Mona's horses as a fawn and was with them a long time I believe.!

I wouldnt worry about them to much. We have them all over here, we try to keep them away thou as the zebras get freaked about them. Had a lost fawn up in the barn yard with the zebras one day. All of them were together but one, the one was freaking out, and well lets just say they can jump high when trying to get away from something.

The fawn thou, I think was scared or something cause I could almost get right up to it before it would finally take off.

Chances are your horse has made some new buddys and enjoys there company.

I don't think they would hurt him, but what about diseases? Ours out here had Chronic Wasting disease, but I just looked it up and they don't "think" it can be transfered to livestock.CWD

There isnt anything to my knowledge that deer can pass to horses.

One of my wildest experiences with deer was in 2001 when we had three foals on the ground - Biscuit, Freedom and Tristan.

A baby whitetail deer, complete with spots, jumped through the hedgerow that is next to my electric tape fence (not on at the time, thankfully), and jumped into the pen with the mini mares and foals. He trotted around, getting the foals excited (their tails were straight up) and their moms startled. No sooner did he have everyone galloping that he sauntered out of the pen, went into my pumpkin garden and then he high-tailed it to the house - not fearful - just exploring with spirit. My blind, elderly Lab Sparky and somewhat plump Basset Hound Emily caught wind of him and decided to "chase" him but my hubby put the kabosh on that quickly. Baby deer ran back through the hedgerow to his mom, who was happily browsing on things growing in our neighbor's field. He was close enough that I could have touched him, but did not.

They are all over our farm - older son Andy came upon a new fawn curled up under a bush in the hedgerow by accident... the baby did not move and Andy said "It had really big ears and really big eyes." He left it alone and that fawn is now probably one of the many deer that come through here and bed down for the evenings.

The only problem we have is when they run in front of cars... now that the rut is getting started, we have to be careful. I waited while a herd of does and babies crossed the road and started up, only to just miss a nice eight point buck who had love on his mind!

My in-laws' old house bordered a park with trails, etc. and the deer used to eat my father-in-law's bushes, veggies and flowers. It was not unusual to see pheasants and deer at his BIRD FEEDER.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Latest posts

Back