Dealing with a difficult co worker

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I've not asked for any personal mother advice on here in some time but i am this time..

I work at a nursing home as a RNA and i love my job, full insurance, great pay vacation and benefits and in three years will pay to finish my RN, just 5 minutes from my house. I work third shift and love it, i like the residents, it schedules around my horse shows. I am great at it and great with the residents, my boss is great to work with..she could not be any better at all.

Two of the girls i work with, i went to high school with we were total opposites (still are...). The one girl is in very thin ice with our boss, the other does not care at all if she looses her job. I started having issues with the one girl right after i started, i worked with her one time and she put all of the work off on me (HER work), but someone has to do it. If you know me, I am a very easy person to get along with and have trouble saying "no" and will go out of my way to help others. I covered for her more then several times, she never once covered for me when i asked her to (agian, someone has to be there...), not that i expect anything in return...its just a friendly favor or two would be nice or atleast the truth instead of silly excuses. We have just had a ton of problems and to be honest do NOT get a long at all. I do not like her work ethic, i do not like how she treats our residents and i do not like her attitude.

We have two people on each of the day shifts, there is a strict rule that not both people can be outside at the same time (incase someone gets up and falls, or wondering and confused). I drive by, both of the girls are sitting outside smoking. I call my boss, tell her as it is VERY serious, they are putting someones life at risk if a resident was to fall or an alarm go off. This was not the first time they had been caught for this.

They narrowed it down to who told (me)...i do not trust either of these girls...the one did confront me about it but she does not worry me, the other girl does. Both of the girls had last night off (they work 3:30-9:00pm), i worked midnights last night 12-8am...i came home and my truck (which was at home as dad had the trailer hooked up to it, so i drove his truck to work) was keyed..not just lightly keyed but actually CARVED with a key. Police were out to file a report, i did not mention either of the girls names. Why?? Because it scares me to think what they may do if they did this. I live way out in the country, this was not just someone random driving down the road decided to stop over and key a random truck in a random driveway.

I went into work today to pick up my check and the girls were working, i planned that. I did not say a word to them, i just wanted to see their reaction...which confirmed everything. It was them..the whispering, the laughing.

Now for the motherly advice needed. Should i tell my boss about this in the morning? I do not want to risk loosing my job (which i just finished my 90 day period and had a long heart to heart talk to her about how much i love my job just days ago...) because of this. If my boss was to fire the other girl, i just worry what she would do..if she did not fire them then would they try to get me fired? Its just such a sticky situation. I would have rather then confront me about it and work this out then take out their anger on my truck..

Then, for reference...this is my baby
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

3-18.jpg

2-20.jpg

You can see where they actually started to carve it...then just said screw it and gashed it up.

1-21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Leeana, I wanted to say how sorry I am that someone keyed your truck. It's terrible when people take their anger out in such stupid and immature ways.

I don't know what I would do in your situation because unless you have proof that it was them (not just suspections), I don't know if your boss could really do anything. I'd make sure that I kept a log on everything that has/is/might be happening and if something happens again, you'll have times, dates, etc. It's kind of one of those things where you're scared to let things go, but at the same time, you want to stand up for yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I was wondering if you could video with your phone( some has a video camera on it) and catch them doing it, just make it look like your checking something on your cell phone. just be sneaky.

then take it to the police & your boss and say you have proof.

Well, good for you on the job...it is tough work and I did it for over 12 yrs. I also managed a Hospice House with 6 dying residents at a time and we had a girl that was constantly going outside to smoke (against the rules and policies) I had her on warning three times and the last time drove by the house one evening and there she was smoking away. I pulled up in the drive and fired her on the spot went inside and there was a resident on the floor. I would definetly report it to the police ( do they not have outside cameras) park under a light and ya know what confront them both with your supervisor present. It sucks that someone that cares about there job gets treated like that...they aren't worth the S--- off the bottom of your shoes (s'cuse the French)

Well, good for you on the job...it is tough work and I did it for over 12 yrs. I also managed a Hospice House with 6 dying residents at a time and we had a girl that was constantly going outside to smoke (against the rules and policies) I had her on warning three times and the last time drove by the house one evening and there she was smoking away. I pulled up in the drive and fired her on the spot went inside and there was a resident on the floor. I would definetly report it to the police ( do they not have outside cameras) park under a light and ya know what confront them both with your supervisor present. It sucks that someone that cares about there job gets treated like that...they aren't worth the S--- off the bottom of your shoes (s'cuse the French)
I drive dads truck to work most days, last night my truck was home as it was hooked up to the trailer...they know i drive either my car, dads truck or my truck to work so i feel they just went after whatever car was there. This did not happen at work, they did this at my house as my truck was home hooked to the horse trailer (we were going to deliver a horse to Michigan tonight). I work mostly in the assisted living so we only have two people there at a time, then at night its just me until 6:30am, which is why the rule is so strict that someone must be in the building at all times (like you said, if a resident falls or a magnet alarm goes off). I love love love my job, i'm just not sure it is worth risking that over this as the damage is already done. Thank you Minie for your reply
default_smile.png

Leeana It sucks that you love your job and these two are out to get you because you reported them for being outside smoking when at least one of them should have been inside. Can you just ignore them, I know that is a hard route to go but if they don't get any reaction from you maybe they will stop their shenanigans. Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out so you can keep the job you love.

Hugs to you

Yvonne

I think Yvonne's advice was good....ignore then as much as possible. Be professional and do your job; that's what you're being paid for. I think, if it were me, I would tell my boss about the keying incident. Don't point fingers, don't name names, just tell her that you thought she should know because of when it happened. It could be a coincidence (I don't think so any more than you do) but acknowledge that possibility to your boss. I think these girl's supervisor needs to know the mentality of the people she has working for her.

Leeana I am soooo sorry your truck was keyed. All I have to say is what goes around comes around to those little girls and hopefully you will be lucky enough to witness it. If not, shake it off it is not meant to be.

Now to the other problem, if they are doing something they should not be doing, with a risk to an elderly uninvolved person, you have to do the right thing and tell someone in charge. If someone were to get hurt and you could have stopped it you are just as much to blame as the girls. Do not let someone else change how you live your life by threats or bullying. Do what is right and get it over with, if they are up to no good they will do it anyway whether you get them fired or not. Yes, I would tell my boss about my truck being keyed. Let the boss put two and two together. Surely your boss can tell good work ethics compared to slackers.

OK Leanna you asked for it so here it comes from Big Mother.........I'll call it as I see it and won't sugar coat it and talk to you like I would if this happened to one of my own kids:

Leanna this is terrible, your truck is a mess and I would be sooooooooo mad!

You are probably right, they did it but the truth here is Leanna you have no proof, nothing at all, no facts that they did it, nothing but an assumption so there is nothing you can do about it other than to watch your place very closely and be careful. By keying your truck they are sending you a message so pay attention; they might hurt your animals next. You can not wave around accusations period. I do think you need to tell your family about the whole thing so they can help keep an extra eye on things at home.

We have two people on each of the day shifts, there is a strict rule that not both people can be outside at the same time (in case someone gets up and falls, or wondering and confused). I drive by, both of the girls are sitting outside smoking. I call my boss, tell her as it is VERY serious, they are putting someones life at risk if a resident was to fall or an alarm go off. This was not the first time they had been caught for this.

Ok as far as that, you chose to go out of your way to rat them out. You knew that calling your boss would get them in trouble. Granted, you were concerned for the patients which is admirable, because you may have saved someone from getting hurt, and in that light you did the right thing, but it was not your call. You were driving by so that means you were not even at work. You were not hired to police these girls and it is not your responsibility if something happens. You are only responsible for what it says directly on your job description, nothing more, nothing less. If someone fell out of bed, it would have nothing to do with you or your position because you weren't even there. I'm not saying turning them in was wrong, but it stirred the pot that was already boiling. To them you probably appear to be a brown noser or a suck up which has gotten them angry enough to key your truck.

As far as telling your boss your suspicions about your truck incident, you would only be opening up another can of worms and compound the whole thing. Be careful and tread softly! This can backfire on you easily as your boss may just decide that all three of you need to go find new jobs somewhere else. If you were my kid I would tell you to be quiet and mind your own business and do your job.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first reaction was also to ignore them and I think both will "do themselves in" as far as their jobs are concerned. However, when I got to the part that they keyed your truck -- that really got to me!!!

I still think you should do your best to ignore them, however, I think if your boss doesn't already know your truck was keyed, I would probably let her know especially if it happened in the job parking lot (I didn't follow exactly -- did it happen there or at your house)?

I think if you can wait these "witches" out, they won't last long on the job and will be history. In the meantime, just keep doing the best job you can and do what you can to help your boss. That kind of stuff will go a long way when push comes to shove.

Hi toally agree with Marty. There is an old adage: Give them enough rope and they will hang themselves. Sit back, do your job, keep your mouth shut and watch it unfold.

I would agree with Marty except for one thing, people's safety is at stake here and I know Leanna would have a terrible time if someone were to fall and get hurt, or worse.

Leanna, I admire you for calling on them, and I think it was the right thing to do given the type of job. Having been an 'inmate' in a nursing facility, I have the utmost respect for people who can do that kind of work. For the most part the patients are pretty helpless and are at the mercy of their caregivers. I was given a questionnaire when I was discharged, and I blasted them for the care of my roommate who was completely handicapped and incontinent. She needed changed one day, and was yelled at that they only do that every two hours and she was just going to have to wait
default_new_shocked.gif
I was appalled, that poor woman had to lay there and wait until the required 2 hours was over because she had the gall to pee at the wrong time (as if she could control it). I don't think I will ever get over that. If I ever have to go to a place like that again, it won't be there! I also will make darn sure I share that information with anybody who needs to select a nursing facility.

As for the keying, remarkable coincidence in the timing, but with no proof there isn't much you can do. I sure would make sure and have a nice, big dog outside though.

As for their misbehavior, I would ignore them as much as possible unless patient safety is at risk. Then you need to do what you need to do.

What did your boss say when you called? Were you thanked? Appreciated? I would think so, as they are at risk for lawsuits, and for losing their Medicaid and Medicare licenses, if not their business.

I've got to say that I respectfully disagree with Marty about you going "out of your way" to turn them in. IMHO we've become a nation of people who would rather look the other way than do something to correct a wrong. Like someone else said there are lives and physical well being issues here that I think you were 100% right to be concerned about. As far as I'm concerned you did the right thing by reporting them - whether you were "at work" at the time or not. If someone I loved was living there I'd be very happy to know someone was honestly concerned about their wellfare and not just doing their job. I think Ya done good!!

Leanna if you are feeling threatened at work you should tell your boss immediately because there are laws to protect workers from a hostile work environment. I commend you for calling your boss and reporting these two girls as the safety of elderly people were being jeopardized. Sometimes doing the right thing is not always the "popular" or easy thing. Good luck and I hope it all turns out for you in the end.

I think it was right that you called when both employees were outside, when only one should have been.

I would not complain to your boss about the keying. You have absolutely no proof that either or both of these other employees did it, and it happened when your truck was at home. Really, your boss has no jurisdiction over what an employee does outside of work hours, off of company property. You might mention that it happened, but I would say that you shouldn't even imply that your coworkers did it.

Hopefully the boss appreciates concern for the patients/residents, but she is not going to want to hear a bunch of complaining or insinuations about what one employee thinks other employees may be doing outside of work hours. Too much of that and the boss will get annoyed with the person(s) that are complaining.

You've reported this to the police; let them deal with it. If they happen to catch someone doing something similar in the future, and if that someone happens to be your coworker(s) then you can go from there with what your next move is.

Oh boy, do I have experience with difficult coworkers! Document, document, document everything they and YOU DO! Then, sit down with your boss and use these words "hostile work environment". Complaining about someone won't get you any where, but if you go in with evidence that they aren't doing their job and creating a hostile work environment for you, this will get your employers attention.

I worked with one technician that would yell and scream at me in front of students.....she had a doctor complex. I finally had enough of it and went to the hospital administrator and said those 3 words. She no longer works here.

My boss is very big on "if you see this, tell me, leave me a note or call me". We have a small number of employees and its more of a personal relationship with our boss since we are so small in numbers on our side. She does not take this as complaining, when residents personal health care and safety are involved, she is firm with everyone to let her know when she see's someone doing something wrong or slacking in resident care or their job. I do not go running to her over every little thing the other employees do, those were the only two times i said anything in the past four months to my boss regarding another employee.

I believe that i will stop in and talk to her in private this morning but will ask her to keep it between her and I, i do not even want the girls to know about the talk and will tell her, agian, that i LOVE my job and want to work it out with them but felt that i had to make her aware of this. I do not want them to get away with this, but i also do not want to make it worse then it already is so i just feel strongly that this is how i should deal with it. Mom and dad are aware of my theory (I considerit more then a theory though..).

"hostile work environment" - I would recommend documenting incidents at work to cover you rear. What happened on your property though - that has nothing to do with work until someone can link the trouble makers to the incident with keying your truck.

I would however ask the local police to patrol and give them times you might be away from home. Also hopefully your family is on higher alert and they will keep a closer eye on things.

The Motherly advice part - you are young, not far out of high school if I am correct. Your counter parts are also from your school and went to school with you as you state. Someone needs to be adult and professional and do their job and do it right. That means you if you like your job so much. Forget the other two. Their antics will get them fired soon enough. We hope its not at the expense of a resident's health, but.....

As far as talking to your boss - state facts, leave emotions out of it. Forget you have a friendly relationship - this must be a professional discussion. It is the concern for the safety of the residents you have on your mind, not the other employees welfare. If you know the rules, state those and give clear cut examples and times (remember your documentation).

Latest posts

Back