Deaf Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone remembers the discussion about deaf horses and the LTD horses that were deaf? I am looking for the link to the farm that had them. Thanks!

I don't know any of the story, but just because a horse is deaf, doesn't mean they can't lead a normal life. There are some National Champions out there that are deaf. Granted it is not a desirable trait, but not horribly life altering. So hopefully those horses will still live the life they were meant for!

I didn't know that was going on.
default_sad.png

I know it happens sort of often in big horses. But I don't think it's that common in minis (though it does happen on occasion) is that right? That it's less common in minis?

All I know is not all Splash Overos are deaf, nor are all LTD bred horses.

My Splash horses hear just fine!
default_laugh.png

Deaf horses can lead 100% normal lives.

Most of them are less spooky and they never react to loud noises which at shows is a benefit not a deficit.

You simply have to put time and effort into their training your not able to force them or rush their training. Once they are trained they are 100% ROCK SOLID.

Overos specially those carrying the splash gene with no modifiers are often deaf. Paint horses who are deaf lead a normal life show like a normal horse with no special considerations given to them.

If you are looking at an overo that is one of those things you need to be able to make the decision on and base it on the understanding that it could be deaf.

Now it is much rarer in Miniature horses or so it is said. But then most people do not want to admit that their horse or horses cant hear.

Given honesty from a seller it makes NO difference to me what so ever if the horse is deaf or not.

I know someone who owns a deaf mini that has been driven quite successfully. I would not think it was a major problem at all.

I think all our pintos hear just fine, or else they are good at fooling me!

I personally do not believe it is more rare in minis I think maybe people just simply do not know or are not being 100 percent honest

I know of a couple deaf horses that showed like no tomorrow in halter and are national champions

If you look up Colonels Smokingun you can see that deaf horses can do it and be very successful!! He is a APHA/AQHA stallion that has made a hugh difference in the reining world, he is deaf and does throw some deaf offspring!! So I think as long as it is known it is not a hugh deal, some people may not like it but others it doesn't matter. For me personally it does not bother me, and if my husband would be ok with me getting more minis I would be all over that!!
default_biggrin.png

Heidi

The deaf problem occurs in splash overos that have pie bald markings on the head.

There is a very well known QH breeder who also had a line of paint horses. Many of his paint horses were deaf.

I was around a paint horse that came directly from this breeder. This horse was a stallion, stone deaf, and sired a large number of deaf foals. All of the markings were identical. They also have an ear set that kind of tells that they are deaf.

This stallion was gelded by his new owner. I think that he made up for his lack of hearing by being extremely aware of everything around him. The owner showed him in pleasure, horsemanship and showmanship at breed shows. He would catch something out of the corner of his eye and go ballistic. It really did make it hard for her to show him since he was pretty erratic in his behavior.

One of his sons, also deaf, was shown to an APHA youth championship. He seemed to have ringing, or something, in his ears. Sometimes he would shake and shake his head.

IMHO you have to have tons of patience and completly change your training methods to accomodate the lack of voice control.

Yes, a deaf horse can lead a perfectly normal life. So can a stallion with one testicle. There are many faults that do not seriously affect quality of life, yet they are still undesirable and should not knowingly be reproduced.

In my opinion (for what it's worth) it's wrong to intentionally breed a deaf horse (even if the color is spectacular) or be less than forthcoming about deafness in horses being sold. If you truly belief that it is not a problem, then there should be no problem letting potential buyers and the general public know.

I agree I personally would not choose to breed a deaf horse but I know I was in a gelding class with one at Nationals and he won the HUGE class

Of course that is just what happens anyone standing behind me in every Nationals class but one over the years has won the class .... perhaps that means I am so bad I make the next person in line look great LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a deaf filly born here several years ago to a friend's mare. Beautiful wildly marked filly. She took mare & filly home, and she led a normal life for awhile, but died from a rattlesnake bite as a long yearling I believe. I've always wondered if it was because she didn't hear the warning rattle.

Jan

I read a story several years ago in the Paint Horse Journal where a splashed white was used in Police work and did incredibly.

Better than the hearing horses as he did not react to fireworks, gunshots etc and was more responsive to touch.

I doubt that was the case, Jan, since plenty of hearing horses have been bitten over the years. I don't think they necessarily realize that the rattle is a warning.

I am not quite sure that people should be breeding deaf horses on purpose though. After all, you can have beautifully patterned horses that can hear so why perpetuate something like that?

Latest posts

Back